Zama carb rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinetreerat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any of you guys ever rebuild a Zama carb? My question is should I change the Welch plug? I would hate to damage anything taking it out, and the Zama site says to use sealer to install the new one...what sealer?

Don't touch them if you are not used to open them,because under the plugs you find small jets easily damaged if you "hit" them with a punch or whatever you use.Install only the kit first.

The sealers, including the stuff zama uses, suck, with today's gas.

I just put them in dry and tap them to distort into place. If you feel the need for sealer, use a tiny amount of nail polish, and wait 24 hours before gasing.

I haven't pulled welch plug since I started using my ultrasonic cleaner. And that's a lot of carbs ago.

Last edited:
I don't use an Ultrasonic cleaner. Just regular old carb cleaner, and compressed air. Have never messed with the Welch plugs. Never had a problem on any rebuilt carb... be it Zama, Wallbro, Tilly, or Bing...:)

Gary

Never had any problems with a Zama??????

I once had a Girlfriend that had a Tatoo that said "Ultrasonic".....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

mmmmmmmmm.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Never had a problem with her either.

I don't use an Ultrasonic cleaner. Just regular old carb cleaner, and compressed air. Have never messed with the Welch plugs. Never had a problem on any rebuilt carb... be it Zama, Wallbro, Tilly, or Bing...:)

Gary

That's 'cos you never have rebiult the "fussy" smaller zama's...
I have a few boxes of them if you'd like to practice.:monkey: :monkey:

I'll buy the beer, you guys rebuild my carb. Sure I already did it...but the saw still won't run, so I'm just going to curl up into a little ball and shake.

Which saw/carb?

Why did you suspect the carb orginally?

stihl 044...it would run 20-30 seconds and die It would do this a few times then refuse to start for hours. This is after a new piston and honed cylinder. Rings had melted into the piston. Hey I want to be a tree freak!!

The C3M carb on the 044 is usually a 100% success story on rebuild -no fuss with those, and no reason to remove the welch plug.

Your symptoms can be carb, but are most likely an air leak leading to loss of impluse. I'd be checking the impulse hose, crank seals, cylinder bolts, then manifold boot etc. A simple pressure test would identify anything except possibly seals - for those you'd need to test vacccum also.

Before you do anything though, check the the fuel hose inside and out of the tank, and the tenk vent.

You can be a Tree Freak. I've been trying to loose the "title" for a while but no one will listen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back