Advanced Falling Cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jumpin.........i didn't think any one did that there. i used to do it alot in pecker poles.........makes good time but its dangerous as hell. idk bout that side but most pine thickets can be felled east here.
He was telling me when they lean uphill ,will face and backcut ,but leave the hinge so they stand still ,and drop a heavy one into them and 10-15 go down the same direction at the same time also ,must be a time thing like you said .,He did say makes harder to hook them to the yarder when stacked like that though .

He was telling me when they lean uphill ,will face and backcut ,but leave the hinge so they stand still ,and drop a heavy one into them and 10-15 go down the same direction at the same time also ,must be a time thing like you said .,He did say makes harder to hook them to the yarder when stacked like that though .

domino.
nfg

You don't think he might have been pulling your leg a little do ya? If you're dropping uphill and the hill is steep enough they can come sliding right back down, sometimes turning as they go. If they turn to where they're across the hill...and rolling... you can get a lot of trouble headed your way real quick
Makes you jump and run.
I can't imagine trying to get out of the way of 10-15 at once. I'm not that fast. I don't think I ever was.

You don't think he might have been pulling your leg a little do ya? If you're dropping uphill and the hill is steep enough they can come sliding right back down, sometimes turning as they go. If they turn to where they're across the hill...and rolling... you can get a lot of trouble headed your way real quick
Makes you jump and run.
I can't imagine trying to get out of the way of 10-15 at once. I'm not that fast. I don't think I ever was.
I may have described wrong ,the trees leaned uphill ,but he fell them being on the uphill side,did the multiple trees at a time that way to push them over against the lean,he had a new kid he fired because he thought running down the hill to get his water below where they were falling was a good idea

Last time I dropped up hill I got my backside chewed to pieces. Boss at the time told me there is never ever is there a reason to drop up hill. OK. So down hill they went, busted darn near to everyone of them too. To steep and to much swing time to gain speed. Up hill, roll'em off the stump to the far side and get back outta the way. Didn't break a single one. They will sweep ya right off the map though if'n you're not paying attention. Starting at the bottom makes for a lot of crap to work through though. Oh well he WAS the boss.

Domino always makes me nervous. Sometimes you can't hardly get away from it, but you don't have to like it. I like having guys tell me why it's a good idea to lean them up and then trigger off, while standing under them triggering the last straw. So many things can go bad and you can't watch all of it. Bad ideas, begat bad ideas and bad practice. That whole 1000 and 1 time thing. Stay away from it, you're doing the same amount of cutting any way, just avoid it, unless you just can't. My experience tells me 99% of the domino cuts are 100% ego.

Owl

I agree Owl. YouTube loggers showing off. And, I gotta admit, it's pretty impressive to watch. It's just not something that I'd make a habit of or advise anybody to do
. I'll use a pusher sometimes if I have to and I've crippled up two and then pushed with the third but I think that's my limit. So far, anyway.
Like you said, things can go wrong real fast and you might not have anywhere to run.

Flat? What is this flat? What's wrong with standing on an edge and looking down at daylight?

If things don't tear you up now and then, you don't put enough stock in yourself. If you stop learning, you are on the short path to a bad ending. You can learn even from the greenest kid you'll ever meet. I know the % won't be right. But. Something like this, you will learn/retain around 30% of what you are taught, you will retain over 90% of what you teach. If you find yourself lacking somewhere, find both a stronger AND a weaker person in that area, to learn from by learning and by teaching.

I hope that make any kind of sense at all.

Owl

Flat? What is this flat? What's wrong with standing on an edge and looking down at daylight?

If things don't tear you up now and then, you don't put enough stock in yourself. If you stop learning, you are on the short path to a bad ending. You can learn even from the greenest kid you'll ever meet. I know the % won't be right. But. Something like this, you will learn/retain around 30% of what you are taught, you will retain over 90% of what you teach. If you find yourself lacking somewhere, find both a stronger AND a weaker person in that area, to learn from by learning and by teaching.

I hope that make any kind of sense at all.

Owl
it does........its just that you need some one who wants to learn...........i know i'm synical........i'm workin on it

A pusher is one thing, and a good tool in the bag. Some of these things you see and hear about are something else. Ya sometimes they limb lock and you're stuck, but 5, 8 or more at once is nothing more than a stroke. I like pushers especially when I have no way out and as back up plans. Some of the young guys around here take video with their phones now and show them all over town. It is impressive, but nothing I want any part of. One kid set up a slug and then thought he'd trigger it off, dropping a good fir through the middle. all he did was split the mess in two. Then had to go back in there and take it apart. He wanted to wait until the yarder set-up and pull them. Side rod just laughed at him.

Owl

Randy,
when you get a minute, can you draw it?

I'm being serious for a minute; I understand what y'all are saying, but the pictures clear things up even more.

How You get your rx situated; different makes me crazy

It isn't any drawing. But. We've been watching a lot of youtube very recently. Here's a picture about it. Hopefully this will clear it up for ya.

Owl

Narrow face to get em off the stump quickly for whoever was asking. Feeling the tree move is whats its all about for swing cuts. You can't always get a read out of the top in hardwood. If you can't feel it in your bar you may not be ready. Chair prone trees swing the best because of their fibers. Bottom line is stump time.

I don' get too fancy with the saw these days 100% of my stumps are at least partially rotten. This pine has been dead for a long time now. It's a big game of pick up sticks for me. Just drop 'me with the lean and call it good. I have learned to use strategy in order to make skidder access easier. I have to abandon about 25% of my stumps before the cut is " finished" because the trees are on the way to the ground already due to rot. My sprinting skills have improved, but my cutting skills are stagnating.

Latest posts

Back