Want to add tree services to my buisness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRobbins

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and a novice in the world of arboriculture. I own a small landscaping business and the question of tree work always seems to come up with my clients. I don't want to put me, my crew, or clients in danger and I want to learn how to go about this the right way. I know how to fell trees and spent much of my life around saws but the climbing and pruning is what is foreign to me. So what I am asking is what is the best way to learn the skills needed to be safe and successful in this business.

Hire a skilled climber, if you dont want to ad the insurance of tree removal, because lawn care insurance and arborist/ tree surgeon insurance are two different things and the cost shows. If your not going to ad the insurance to your business the climber you hire to do the tree work should be skilled preferably ISA certified and insured for the work he preforms. Please start climbing and add tree work to your resume. While doing so do it safe, learn at a steady pace, and watch the man you pay very closely. Ask a lot of questions.

Not sure where you are located but last winter I worked PT for a local established tree company. I do lawns and landscaping full time April-November. Kept me in shape and I learned a lot even about pruning landscape shrubs.

I have a CDL and had referred numerous jobs to them in the past. They called me last December and asked if I had winter plans and offered a PT job fully understanding my business came first. Apparently hard working people with a CDL are hard to come by to the point where they downsized a bit. I really enjoyed it and wish I had began learning about the tree business sooner.

That would probably be a more difficult option if you were in a warmer climate with year round landscape work.

Agree with Zale. Find a good arborist, who you can feel very confident referring clients to. They will likely refer work back to you. If you get a good working relationship and have good communication, you can get to the point where you can just bid work while you are on the site as if it was your own, have him do it, you bill the client, keep a small portion, and pass the rest on to the arborist.

Leaves time for you to focus on what you are good at, but helps you offer full time services. Otherwise, hire somebody who knows what they are doing. I am not talking about knows how to climb and knows how to use a saw. But is an educated expert on trees.

I dont see why he couldnt be an arborist and not climb. knowing is half or more of the battle. a skilled climber can be directed by an arborist to preform proper tasks, and its way easier and takes way less time to get your certs then it does to become a skilled safe climber. not only that just knowing the basics of climbing and rigging watching a very skilled person, if they (the climber and arborist) should ever part ways and a new climber was hired, you would know what to look for and what should be done. maybe even able to teach the new climber from a different company a thing or two.

I know plenty of folks who know little about trees/tree biology(even proper pruning)/etc... who are good climbers and great with chainsaws. Of course there is always more to learn - both as a climber and an arborist who doesn't climb. It sounds like he is busy with other landscaping. If he has the time to learn trees, great...but I think BC WetCoast offered the best suggestion for a company to expand services. If I wanted to add lawn care, I already know a fair amount...but I'd still go find a turf expert to hire. Instead I just refer clients to another contractor who good with turf.

Here, landscaper's do all the small trees mostly crape-murderers etc. Very few have any knowledge of even planting and do volcano mulching , many times too deep. I commend the op for trying to actually learn. I agree on the actual hiring ca for the climbing but recommend Arboriculture intergrated management of landscape trees,shrubs,and vines Richard W Harris, James A Clark , Nelda P Matheny! He can read that while helping and learning the climbing end and be much better adept in both tree service and landscaping!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I have a friend who's brother works for the largest tree company in our area. For now I will refer all tree work to him. I still want to learn all I can about climbing and how to care for the trees in the proper way on my own. And like you all said learn from someone who has been doing it. Again thank you all for the great responses. I know where to come now when I have questions.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I have a friend who's brother works for the largest tree company in our area. For now I will refer all tree work to him. I still want to learn all I can about climbing and how to care for the trees in the proper way on my own. And like you all said learn from someone who has been doing it. Again thank you all for the great responses. I know where to come now when I have questions.
I think you're on the right track. Praise be where its due to someone who has the interest like you do. You took the opinions from experienced professionals and heeded their advice.. You're a real pro.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck continuing your education and learning to climb! Rely heavily on the guys around here. Cheers!
Climb safe.
-j

Latest posts

Back