Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been anxious about this year's fire season since - well- last year's fire season. Looks like this is the new normal. It is getting bone dry here already.

7db37c539a304063ff384e74549727fd.jpg

A near real time " Wildland Fire Forum"
On Tapatalk App or Web based avail to all or register to comment and post

On the web "Hotlist" has active fire chat , on the app " Fires by region"

Good luck and stay safe

7db37c539a304063ff384e74549727fd.jpg

A near real time " Wildland Fire Forum"
On Tapatalk App or Web based avail to all or register to comment and post

On the web "Hotlist" has active fire chat , on the app " Fires by region"

Good luck and stay safe

I thought I recognized your username over there.

I'm surprised we haven't had much fire activity in central California of course when summer hits that will change. We have a cabin in meadow lakes california we dodged a lot of bullets last summer, 5 fires over fifty acres the corrine fire that went for 1000, two of them I watched from work one was the corrine fire calfire used one of our boat launch parking lots for a helibase. All of the fires were near or within the 1989 powerhouse fire with one nearly exact same point of origin.

I was just thinking about the Fort Mcmurray fire and it just represents a drop in the bucket of the mismanaged resource we have here. In fact, we have so many trees, nobody seems to know what to do with them.
Studies, and more studies about the displaced wildlife.
Not trying to be insensitive to those that were displaced in the fire, but why would anybody want to live in Fort Mc****up?
Never mind, we always look after one another regardless.
Loved that Raptors game this afternoon.

Fort McMurray fire now 1,046,255 acres or 423,000 hectares. We broke our first major fire of the season in California near camp roberts that has gone for 1,500 acres but fire crews are making good progress toward containment.

I'm in Mc****Up ATM. We need help. Not much in terms of private crews out here...
I was hoping the rains would settle things down up there. I thought some crews from MT were headed up there to help as well as a couple air tankers. Or is that not nearly enough?

I was hoping the rains would settle things down up there. I thought some crews from MT were headed up there to help as well as a couple air tankers. Or is that not nearly enough?

I think there are two or three up here, and a couple of air tankers. But it's at close to 1.3m acres burned as of this morning. The roads are shot, and the burned area is so big that it's just a PITA to traverse, plus with this being grassland/scrub/short boreal forest the fires run hard and fast. And the rain we've had has mostly been showers, nothing really soaking.

Couple that with it being in the middle of the tar sands fields and we're running into haz-mat and chemical fires rarely seen in most wildland situations which the locals can handle being structure trained but it also makes them want to try to knock it down with engines from the black... But like I said, the roads are shot, and 50,000 lb type 1 triple combo engines and 75,000lb quints don't like crappy roads. They also don't pump and roll.

We really need about three dozen D9s with qualified wildland operators, but you know how hard those are to come by.

I like smoke jumpers, and any help we can get up here, but yeah, we need other help.

On the plus side, it's cooler than working in the western U.S... But the forecast is up in the 80s over the weekend and into next week.
Yup, near 90 here by Friday. Be safe! This high pressure will most definitely make burning worse up north there.

Y'all are only 760 north of me, bout like driving to Seattle from here. Not real close, but not too far.

Stoopid question time...

IF, and I mean IF... a guy where to hook up a hose and adapta-kit to a hydrant and "test" his "new" equipment, how much, if any, trouble would he be in?

Secondly, if a fire where to break out near his house, and he where to use said new equipment on said fire, how much trouble would he be en then...

Granted I'm aware that if I where to start putting fires out in the neighbor hood, it would look an awful lot like maybe I wanted really bad to put out a fire so that I arranged for one to be started, but I'm not that crazy, I'm just really paranoid about fire...

Ideally I'll have the skid mount fire tank on hand here at the house for July 1-15th, and using the handy hydrant across the street won't be necessary. but if it where?

Before ya all freak out about fire hose and pressure and what not, I have had some very basic but professional instruction, on how to use a hydrant and hose, its not rocket science, its just high pressure water... nearly rocket science... and yes I would totally call 911 first, and it would be purely a control and damage prevention strategy... one moron and one hose does not extinguish a house fire, but it might keep it from spreading long enough for the cavalry to ride in.

I ask because I've heard all sorts of misinformation, not from any reliable sources, also I assume all risks if I'm dumb enough to try this. And no this isn't about stealing water... its a ****ing rain forest there is plenty of water, and the well hasn't gone dry ever... so no worries there.

Back