5 best saws from the 1970's and 80's? whats your pick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in hearing what folks consider their 5 favorite saws from the 70's and 80's.
Reliability,durability,collectability and most importantly,performance,are the main criteria,more than brand loyalty,and I'm especially interested in the less common makes like Dolmar etc as well as Stihl and Husky.
I dont know enough about vintage saws to have much input, but I will start with the first 10mm Stihl 044 from 1989(i think?) which to me is my personal pick.
Once i know more,I will add the other 4,but I'm keen to hear others opinions.

I have 3 , homie super XL, 028S, 038M. Like my 056M also but have weak ignitions.

IMHO the stihls were heavier, but built stronger/durable than those that followed.

'0' series Stihls, Mcculloughs, and Poulans were the mainstay here back in those days.

Haven't been on AS for a while, but a buddy pointed out this thread. Here are a couple of my favorites:

I wasn't actually making a comparison of the old modified P51 and the nearly-stock 655BP. (I cheated with the P51 by using a faster chain.) The 655 had a chisel-ground chain, ground by a pro, and the P51 had my basic chisel-filed work chain.

I ported the P51 and did some other stuff right after I bought it new, and it has never suffered the indignity of pulling a round-filed chain. Many years of service out of that saw.

Of the many saws I've owned (I used to cut timber for a living), other favorites were a hopped-up P42, my Husky 2100, and a Jonsereds 801. I think that makes five saws to answer the original question.

Nice thread idea.

I have little to no experience with most of the saws mentioned and many of them were gone before I got into running saws. It sounds like there were a lot of great saws from that era that folks still remember fondly.

It's great to see the Pioneer P series saws mentioned several times here
as those are the ones I have some experience with and love to cut with. The 62 from Chainsaw Jim and the 51 from Hillwilliam sure look like they'd give anything in their class a solid run for their money. Great videos of those strong running saws.

Great info folks!
Around here,in Victoria,Australia,it was mainly Stihl and McCulloch.
It seems every second saw i stumble over is a chainbrake 08s,so i will add that to my list. All the farmers had them,and some still use them. I know one old bloke in his 80's who has 5 that he bought new,and still uses.
He decided he needed all the attachments,so got one with the drill,one with the concrete saw,an auger,a trimmer,and a normal saw. Great bloke,still working.
So i would add the 08's to my list,as they are ,in our area at least,the most durable and common.
you still got that beautiful twin or did you trade it already? i would have kept it personally.:baba:

Before my time but I remember being 11 in 91 and suddenly being obsessed with chainsaws. My family thought it strange, given we were suburban and and had no history in forestry for Decades.

I collected and read every chainsaw pamphlet I could get my hands on. No internet so this was the only way I could learn! Ha ha, marketing material!

Anyway, long story short, my childhood fantasy was to own an Stihl 044, based on my thorough research! I still love that saw, eve tho it seemed to get watered down in more recent versions. The original 044 was the poster on my wall!

Such a weird kid

I'm a Shindaiwa guy. I don't have 5 on the list but really have enjoyed using the 500 for a lot of firewood gathering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well there is a huge difference from a top saw of the early 70's to one of the late 80's.

Personally I would like to have one of every Husky from 60cc and up from this era. Although I do have a soft spot for Homelites and Macs too.

Back