I bought a new MS250 today my first Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to add; I suspect it will not happen if the chain is sharp, and the bar of reasonable length.
I don't think you'd be able to generate enough heat off the chain to affect it at all. Bar length has no effect on it whatsoever. IMO i don't think its even an inherent weakness of the saw...the only way it is damaged is by negligent use.

Last edited:
I bought a new Stihl MS250 today to replace my Echo CS370. I really liked the little Echo, but I have always wanted to try a Stihl so I'll give this one a workout this weekend and let you all know what I think. I also looked at the MS260,270,280, but honestly I liked the balance of the MS250 better. My Echo was only 37cc this new Stihl is about 50cc and weighs the same as my Echo did. The Stihl should be about 1.5HP stronger than the Echo. Same weight more power sounded good to me.

Congrats on the new saw. My Dad bought new MS 250 earlier this year, he seems to like it very well. So are you gonna change your name to Orange & White Fever?:)

Is 18" reasonable length?

Not really imo on that saw, for anything close to full bar cuts - but I guess it is OK in soft wood if everything else is right, and the expectations of cutting speed is moderate.....

I have never used anything but nominally 14" bars (that really are closer to 13") on those saws, and they are unimpressive even with that.

Enjoy that new saw, Orange Fever. You've gone up about 8cc's over what you are used to running, so I'm sure you'll like it a lot.

Take some pics this weekend, and post back and let us know how much fun you had.

Got my $20 025 w/18" bar out this past weekend and for it's size I was impressed. As to the clutch thing I have it on the other $20 029. The plastic housing is charred black, clutch springs are purple/blue, clutch drum is pretty purple and band for brake is purple with a melted piston and cylinder. Go figure, just glad I'm not the one that did it.

enjoy that new saw

I bought a new Stihl MS250 today to replace my Echo CS370. I really liked the little Echo, but I have always wanted to try a Stihl so I'll give this one a workout this weekend and let you all know what I think. I also looked at the MS260,270,280, but honestly I liked the balance of the MS250 better. My Echo was only 37cc this new Stihl is about 50cc and weighs the same as my Echo did. The Stihl should be about 1.5HP stronger than the Echo. Same weight more power sounded good to me.

new saws and tools are always cool. enjoy it and be safe.

I bought my MS250 2 years ago with 18 inch bar. I love it. I mainly use it for yard clean up and cutting down dead trees to use in my fire pit. Plenty of power, starts easy. I think its a great saw for the money. congrats on your purchase.

Yup, no complaints with my 250...when I first bought it I thought it was a bit gutless, but once it broke in I have changed my mind. I run a 16" bar, wouldn't want to go any bigger, it is what it is!
The plastic body is GREAT for cutting palms too!

I can't figure this whole melting thing...some people must really be abusing their saws, mine has been in commercial use for 2 years, not even scorched!!!
Mind you it is well maintained, all around the chainbrake and clutch is always kept reasonably clean.

Enjoy:chainsaw:

... mine has been in commercial use for 2 years, not even scorched!!!
Mind you it is well maintained, all around the chainbrake and clutch is always kept reasonably clean.

Enjoy:chainsaw:

I guess that is the clue, maintenanse that is - but the two 250s I have been involved in has had more problems than any other saws I have tried to help people with, and they have that intensive plasticky feel to them, even worse than a Poulan......:mad:

They do cut wood, but that is all good I can say about them - the Husky 350 is a much better saw, at about the same price......

... and they have that intensive plasticky feel to them, even worse than a Poulan......:mad:

They do cut wood, but that is all good I can say about them - the Husky 350 is a much better saw, at about the same price......

EEEWWW how can you dare to compare it with a poulan, shmoolan icky loolan!!!:pumpkin2: :pumpkin2:
I can only guess a 350 would be better, 5 more cc same price, love to try one!

I have had a 250 for several years. Have used it a lot and still do. Cut birch and spruce with an 18" bar and it works fine. It's light and nice to handle, the cost is right, dependability has been excellent. I have several other saws but the 250 is a good utility saw for me and it has served very well for what I intended it for.

As an aside, I just don't understand the comments about a saw feeling "plasticky". The reason they feel "plasticky" is that they are made out of "plastic". All modern saws feel that way to me (including the 346 Xp) and I'm glad they do. I like high tech polymers. They work well and reduce manufacturing costs by a whole bunch. Who the hell wants an all metal saw these days? I have an 028 from about 1980. It feels very "metally" cause that's what it's made out of. Got it new, used it a lot, and it still runs fine. But it's heavy, obsolete (no chain brake at all) and has been semi-retired to a remote cabin. Would I buy a clone of that nearly all metal saw today? Not a chance.

Enjoy your new 250. It's an excellent saw.

I have had a 250 for several years. Have used it a lot and still do. Cut birch and spruce with an 18" bar and it works fine. It's light and nice to handle, the cost is right, dependability has been excellent. I have several other saws but the 250 is a good utility saw for me and it has served very well for what I intended it for.

As an aside, I just don't understand the comments about a saw feeling "plasticky". The reason they feel "plasticky" is that they are made out of "plastic". All modern saws feel that way to me (including the 346 Xp) and I'm glad they do. I like high tech polymers. They work well and reduce manufacturing costs by a whole bunch. Who the hell wants an all metal saw these days? I have an 028 from about 1980. It feels very "metally" cause that's what it's made out of. Got it new, used it a lot, and it still runs fine. But it's heavy, obsolete (no chain brake at all) and has been semi-retired to a remote cabin. Would I buy a clone of that nearly all metal saw today? Not a chance.

Enjoy your new 250. It's an excellent saw.
Good post.

EEEWWW how can you dare to compare it with a poulan, shmoolan icky loolan!!!:pumpkin2: :pumpkin2:
I can only guess a 350 would be better, 5 more cc same price, love to try one!

LOL - That one should be pretty "palm safe" as well, but it feels much better as it is a more rigid construction, and actually has a bit more metal as well.....:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
Back