Need a 60cc saw for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two cents worth. Smaller saws are more economical on fuel. I use my 450P most of the time until the wood gets to 20 inch or more then I switch to the 620P. The 450 will cut a lot more wood per gallon of gas and is less tiring to use. I use the canned gas so fuel economy is important to me.

Not interested in a smaller saw ,had a Dolmar 421 that failed , Makita replaced it with a 4300 that I'm sending down the road to help fund the bigger saw. The 5105 replaced the 421/4300.
Here's another twist . The local Jonsered dealer also sells efco , which I haven't really researched . Any opinions on those??

Efco is said to make good stuff. That's the brand that used to go by Olympic, and maybe Alpina also. Made in Italy, I think. I have heard that they had some issues with disputing warranty stuff, plus there's the question of parts supply in the future, and the kicker (for new anyway) is that unlike a stihl, husky, Dolmar, or echo, there isn't much knowledge about them online. With those 4 brands, there's tons of knowledge folks waiting to help with problems, and bins full of spare parts in most towns in America. Efco, not so much... Now, if you can pick up a mag case 60cc pro saw for $300, it might be worth considering. Do some research into models though, I recall reading that they had some excellent models with good power to weight, and some underpowered anchors.

I've only ever seen the efco at 1 dealership so probably not a good option , just wondered if anyone e had any experience with them.

Not interested in a smaller saw ,had a Dolmar 421 that failed , Makita replaced it with a 4300 that I'm sending down the road to help fund the bigger saw. The 5105 replaced the 421/4300.
Here's another twist . The local Jonsered dealer also sells efco , which I haven't really researched . Any opinions on those??
I am one of those fellows who have had very good experience with efco = oleo mac products. I have a few chainsaws, etc.
I am not sure which models are still available in the us but the ones I have are, although still produced today, old school technology compared to Stihl & Husqvarna. That is also the reason I took them, no bling bling to break anytime soon. Nevertheless tough as nails in real life cutting scenarios. Although I have to add that my dealer has the full range and I am not afraid of them deleting it anytime soon. Further I live not to far from Italy so not much to worry about for me.

I don't own a woods I have a couple friends that do. I scrounge firewood, take what I can get. Anything 25" or larger is rare . Mostly 20" and under a lot of tops lately mostly oak. Most of what I have been cutting is ash, oak ,elm(not my preference) maple and there is a fair amount of locust around here but I haven't had the opportunity to cut any yet. I really don't think I need a 70cc saw. I could probably get by with the 5105 but would like to have the 60cc for larger stuff to extend the service life of the saws. You know the right tool for the job!
Your Dolmar 5105 is enough for your needs! Learn how to sharpen your chain well, buy QUALITY!!! (Stihl or high line Oregon stuff NOT noname el cheapo stuff) chain, Keep the chain out of the dirt and run your saw like you stole it after your break in time (~10-20 refills) and a proper carb retune. The 5105 is a real powerful 50cc animal and will not let you down. I see, from your description, it as totally senseless to buy a 60cc or larger saw. I assume your bar length to be 18 Inch which will be absolutely good enough up to 30inch tree's.

I know, I know! This is a totally new concept and unimaginable for many members on AS, but it is true! You CAN cut a tree from both sides...

Just buy one Husqvarna/Jonsered/Stihl new or used in 60cc class. Dealers, parts, builders and information are abundant. Easy to work on and can rebuild if things go south. Good friend has two 562's and was talking about selling one (make an offer).

You're talking the 5100 non cat muffler?

No. I bought the non cat 5105 muffler for my Maruyama MCV 51, it's a rebranded Dolmar 5105. If you want bigger than 60 but not 70 look at a Makita 6401. I just put a 24" bar on mine, retuned it and it is a beast.

It depends upon want and time available. Sometimes the need of only cutting a log once is enough to change that to a need. My time is enough sometimes to dictate a better piece of equipment. 7 its correct that the task requirement is not fitting for a larger saw. The want or time restriction might be...

I am one of those fellows who have had very good experience with efco = oleo mac products. I have a few chainsaws, etc.
I am not sure which models are still available in the us but the ones I have are, although still produced today, old school technology compared to Stihl & Husqvarna. That is also the reason I took them, no bling bling to break anytime soon. Nevertheless tough as nails in real life cutting scenarios. Although I have to add that my dealer has the full range and I am not afraid of them deleting it anytime soon. Further I live not to far from Italy so not much to worry about for me.

Your Dolmar 5105 is enough for your needs! Learn how to sharpen your chain well, buy QUALITY!!! (Stihl or high line Oregon stuff NOT noname el cheapo stuff) chain, Keep the chain out of the dirt and run your saw like you stole it after your break in time (~10-20 refills) and a proper carb retune. The 5105 is a real powerful 50cc animal and will not let you down. I see, from your description, it as totally senseless to buy a 60cc or larger saw. I assume your bar length to be 18 Inch which will be absolutely good enough up to 30inch tree's.

I know, I know! This is a totally new concept and unimaginable for many members on AS, but it is true! You CAN cut a tree from both sides...

Agreed. I made it a lot of years using nothing but a Jonsered 49SP (basically a 50cc saw). After 15+ years I added a 60cc 036 just because the Jred was getting tired. It cut a lot of wood in the size range you're talking, frequently working from both sides.

Now, if the discussion is want rather than need then a 60cc saw is a nice machine!

6100 is a great saw and gets me tons of wood every year going on three years granted it only gets ran a couple days a week. But it supplies all the 12in and up wood for my coffee roasting business. Would a 70cc saw work? yep . I will agree with others that a 50cc and 60cc saw as a two saw combo is not much contrast. I like a 40cc 60cc combo myself but I save all wood an 1in and up and the crown of a big oak has tons of little limbs .

I keep the little stuff down to about 2" also .I have a little echo 303t that I use for the small stuff. I know you're not supposed to use a top handle on the ground but I started doing it years ago with a Mac Titan 7 top handle and it sure is nice for above the shoulders . I always keep a top handle around for the small stuff.

My intention was to buy another 50 cc a jred 2252 or a 545 to take the place of the 421, and use it for the smaller stuff . I figured instead of 2 50cc saws I would bump it up to a 60 cc. Before I bought the 5105 I had a 455 Rancher a 421 and the 303t. The 421 failed , and I was in the process of cutting a bunch of oak tops ,so I sold the Rancher and bought the 5105 while waiting on a fix for the 421. My original intent was to have a 3 saw combo of the 303t the 421 and sell the Rancher and buy a 6100. Things don't always work out the way we plan!!

My intention was to buy another 50 cc a jred 2252 or a 545 to take the place of the 421, and use it for the smaller stuff . I figured instead of 2 50cc saws I would bump it up to a 60 cc. Before I bought the 5105 I had a 455 Rancher a 421 and the 303t. The 421 failed , and I was in the process of cutting a bunch of oak tops ,so I sold the Rancher and bought the 5105 while waiting on a fix for the 421. My original intent was to have a 3 saw combo of the 303t the 421 and sell the Rancher and buy a 6100. Things don't always work out the way we plan!!
What happen to the 421? I only ask because that probably my number one sold saws to farmers for trimming fence rows, throw in the Tractor saw. And I've had zero issues. And there limbing fools built.

@woodbutcher56 if you Efco dealer is decent and STOCKS parts then take a look at them. They are generally really well made saws that hold up very well but the problem comes from the distributor and dealer not having parts on hand so when something breaks it takes awhile to get repaired.

A new distributor took over couple years ago and they told me they are working on getting parts inventory built up to avoid the problems of the past but only time will tell on that.

the disputing warranty claims is a dicy subject that their are several threads on here devoted to jsut that and what happened that got that story started, I am sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle

@woodbutcher56 if you Efco dealer is decent and STOCKS parts then take a look at them. They are generally really well made saws that hold up very well but the problem comes from the distributor and dealer not having parts on hand so when something breaks it takes awhile to get repaired.

A new distributor took over couple years ago and they told me they are working on getting parts inventory built up to avoid the problems of the past but only time will tell on that.

the disputing warranty claims is a dicy subject that their are several threads on here devoted to jsut that and what happened that got that story started, I am sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle
Thanks. Been there done that !!!

What happen to the 421? I only ask because that probably my number one sold saws to farmers for trimming fence rows, throw in the Tractor saw. And I've had zero issues. And there limbing fools built.

you had to ask didnt ya....short version, crappy local dealer that couldnt diagnose the saw and didnt stock any parts, eventually resulting in sending the saw back to HQ and them sending him a new saw.....all of that took 3 months or so to get accomplished and most of it is my fault for telling him to give his local dealer a chance to repair it instead of making the drive to drop it off here.

I sell em at about a 2:1 ratio vs all other saws in the shop and haven't really had any issues either but there is always that one and Ron got it.

Back