044 Handle Repair Pictorial

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supermend does a pretty good job repairing the modern Stihl fuel tanks. It doesn't have the torsional strength of JB weld but it does resist gas and oil well. We've patched a few landing saw tanks with it and had it hold for about year or so on average.

Have you had any luck with marine epoxy and fiberglass mesh on the tanks?

Supermend does a pretty good job repairing the modern Stihl fuel tanks. It doesn't have the torsional strength of JB weld but it does resist gas and oil well. We've patched a few landing saw tanks with it and had it hold for about year or so on average.

Thanks JJ... Good to know.

I did a fiberglass mesh repair on an older 3120 that had the 'see-through' tank, which I think has a higher polyurethane content. That one held for about two years in a milling operation until the guy rolled a big oak on it and smashed it flat. I like the fiberglass repairs but it's more labor intensive and tedious.

I use stainless mesh like you'd find on a spark arrester. Prepare the surface, form the mesh to the surface, then plastic weld the mesh on with a soldering iron, coat with jb, and when cured, sand smooth...

Most marine expoy is NOT UV resistant - it must be painted.

Damn, makes me wish I hadn't slept through my Art classes in High School/College...

Nicely done.

I use stainless mesh like you'd find on a spark arrester. Prepare the surface, form the mesh to the surface, then plastic weld the mesh on with a soldering iron, coat with jb, and when cured, sand smooth...

Most marine expoy is NOT UV resistant - it must be painted.

Lakeside53

Have you checked out the plastic welder that HF has? I have one....I believe it was around 20.00-30.00..... It's been a while since I bought it. I just used it a few weeks ago. Quality seems to be okay so far.

Plastic welders are like a small heat gun that use compressed air.

I want to make a smaller tip because I feel it heats too much area and I want to weld similar to gas welding.

Dan

Damn, makes me wish I hadn't slept through my Art classes in High School/College...

Nicely done.

Never had art class.

attachment.php

My first wildlife commission, back in the day.

Art classes are often counterproductive, in that the instructor is often there because he or she can't make a living actually doing art. Not always, but often. The best way is to find and hang out with an artist whose work you like, and befriend and help out, etc........

Never had art class.

attachment.php

My first wildlife commission, back in the day.

Art classes are often counterproductive, in that the instructor is often there because he or she can't make a living actually doing art. Not always, but often. The best way is to find and hang out with an artist whose work you like, and befriend and help out, etc........

WOW! :clap: :jawdrop:

Lakeside53

Have you checked out the plastic welder that HF has? I have one....I believe it was around 20.00-30.00..... It's been a while since I bought it. I just used it a few weeks ago. Quality seems to be okay so far.

Plastic welders are like a small heat gun that use compressed air.

I want to make a smaller tip because I feel it heats too much area and I want to weld similar to gas welding.

Dan

I have not used the HF version. I have a $550 pro plastic welder and it's a real problem to "weld" PA66 nylon. It chars pretty much at the melt point.

The End Result.

Got it all back together. I am starting to like my clunky little Dremel now. It sure came in handy on this project. The little carbide burrs are efficient and controllable working in JB. I believe JB to be the superior repair material for Stihl saws overall, despite its grey color. The molybdenum formulation likely has top adhesion, strength, and durability. It also flows rather nicely into a mold.

Some significant Dremel whittling....
attachment.php

A bit of modification on the handle cover.
attachment.php

The screw fits in rather nicely.
attachment.php

Nice handle!
attachment.php

I think I can live with it.
attachment.php

Last edited:
View from the rear. I notice a bit of side deflection. I could have pulled that over with strong tape prior to the clay-up. I thought it was almost perfect when I did it. It is a very minor detail.
attachment.php

Adding the nice AM big spikes I got from Evanrude! I should think about chrome plating for them.....
attachment.php

Dang. Looky there! I think those spikes are upside down! LOLOL

Nope. They are not. I wonder why so little metal sticks down below the bar.

Now all I need is the little metal tank protector plate for the bottom, like on the 460 and 660.

I am so glad to have the 044 back in action again! It has the factory DP, along with a really large exhaust opening on the muffler. I will admit it is a bit loud.....:chainsawguy::blob2::biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Looks good teach.
Z9YW0CA44DSOFCADFKC18CAFA3S7XCA6KGQ.jpg

I 've had to fix the same thing but I used a buttload of electrical tape and an aluminum strap. She's a part saw under the bench now.

Last edited:
Great tutorial, and great "search" function. I've got to do a little repair on a saw handle. Not as extensive as this 044, but I want to get it done before it gets worse. I've used JB Weld for metal on an old rusty pinholed gas tank on a pickup.

I read all through the thread, and my question is, is this the JB Weld specifically for plastic? If not, which? If that was mentioned and I missed it, sorry 'bout that! :dizzy:

Last edited:
I cannot say what type of JB was used on this repair but I just did a repair on a 026 with regular JB and it is holding great, I would post a pict but I don`t want to butt in on another`s repair thread.
Pioneerguy600

Back