16" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Russell

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have some new 16" bars for Stihl saws Thinking about mounting one on my 028 av. They are 325-050 What number DL will it take in a chain for bar. Are any of you using sixteen inch bar on a Stihl MS360 .

I have run a string a round bar mounted to saw head. It measured twenty inches. I can take the saw and bar to dealer But I like to get information from forum members.

Thanks

20"/0.325" = 61.54 drivers, so it should be 62 drivers if the math holds correct to what it recommended.

I'm sure there are a few who run or have run 16" bars on 360's too.

Jack Russell said:
Have some new 16" bars for Stihl saws Thinking about mounting one on my 028 av. They are 325-050 What number DL will it take in a chain for bar. Are any of you using sixteen inch bar on a Stihl MS360 .

I have run a string a round bar mounted to saw head. It measured twenty inches. I can take the saw and bar to dealer But I like to get information from forum members.

Thanks

Are you sure they are .325 .050? Maybe I misread what you wrote, but are they Stihl bars? Stihl's 325 for that mount bar is .063. What is the part number from the bar it's engraved on the bar near the mount. In any case, 16 inch is 67 drivers and 18 inch is 74 drivers. If it's not a stihl bar, the driver count may vary and if so, take the bar and saw to your dealer.

I use a 16 inch bar all the time on a 361, and used it on my 360. Works GREAT, but if you're going to use your .325 bars .063 is the norm.

Not Stihl bars

Sorry I did make it clear about bars. My Stihl bar is 063 gauge The bars I want to use are SugiHara sprocket ends not a laminated bar. Are 325 pitch 050 guage. I can return bars. Would I be turning my Stihl in to Home Owners Saw?????? If so Bars Will Be Returned.

I only have one Handy Man saw and that the one I loan out to borrows;)

Jack Russell said:
Sorry I did make it clear about bars. My Stihl bar is 063 gauge The bars I want to use are SugiHara sprocket ends not a laminated bar. Are 325 pitch 050 guage. I can return bars. Would I be turning my Stihl in to Home Owners Saw?????? If so Bars Will Be Returned.

I only have one Handy Man saw and that the one I loan out to borrows;)

Even Stihl's "homeowners" use .063 in .325.. Sugihara are not bad bars, but it would be a lot easier to get the right drive link count and or consistency with your other bars/saws. If you don't want laminated bars, get the Stihl ES series - solid bar with replaceable sprocket tip, although for a 16 on an 028, the "E" series (laminated) is plenty strong.

Last edited:
Keep Or Return

The SugiHara has the replaceable tip and are quality bars The chain will be small on the 050 gauge bar ?? If I am reading you correctly You would return bars That what I want to know I have the bars packaged for shipping

I buy .325 chain in .050 gauge all the time. Several Stihl dealers stock it and I also order Laser and Carlton chain online. Been running .325 .050 gauge on both my 346XP's since new. I would not recommend returning the bars. Go ahead and use them. Who knows, you might escape the all-encompassing Stihl umbrella of expensive parts sales.

Jack Russell said:
.325-050 should be plenty strong for use on both the 028 and 360.
The only clouds I can see on the sky is if the dealers in your area does not stock the chain you want for it, but there are ways around that problem (mail order, E-bay).

A 16" .325 bar on the 360 should make a nimble and fast combination, probably at its best with 8-pin sprocket.

Only 62 .325 drivers on a Stihl mount 16" bar sounds pretty low - more like it is a 15".
With Stihl bars a 16" should need 67 drivers - 68 with 9-pin sprocket.

Anyway, it is no way it can be only 20" around, it should be more like 40" (or a bit more if it really is a 16" bar).

My 026 has run .325 x 50 ga since new on a 18" stihl bar, I got a second stihl es bar for it now which is 16" and it is 50 gauge as well..... the 18" runs 74DL if I remember correctly, I don't remember what the 16" count it, I haven't even bolted the 16" bar on yet, I don't run the 026 much anymore, my 044 does most of my sawing

I purchased a 16" chain 60 DL. To short. Come to think about it I have the SugiHara 20"and 25" bars and they take the same number DL as the Stihl bars.

About the string used on the 16" bar was double at 20" For some reason I had the feeling I may not be using good judgment runing the shorter bar. This is my first with a 16" on a larger saw I do have a Stihl 015AV. Have not checked it. I think it is 063 gauge. (had for got I had 015)

ontario026 said:
My 026 has run .325 x 50 ga since new on a 18" stihl bar, I got a second stihl es bar for it now which is 16" and it is 50 gauge as well..... the 18" runs 74DL if I remember correctly, I don't remember what the 16" count it, I haven't even bolted the 16" bar on yet, I don't run the 026 much anymore, my 044 does most of my sawing

What's the part number from your bar? Stihl hasn't offered .325 bars in .050 for quite some time... at least not in the USA.

The link count on .325 chain will be higher than the same length chain in 3/8". My 18" .325 is a 72 link count so a 16" will be in the 67-68 range.

I think we need to clarify the measurement procedure. Was it measured the entire way around the bar and sprocket as the chain would ride? If it was, this would have to be more like 40"+ as Saw Troll mentioned. 40" would = approximately 62 drivers, as only every second pitch has a driver. The only way to get it that small would be to back it right down until the tail of the bar is scraping the drive sprocket. Normally the chain adjuster isn't backed down this far even with a new chain. it is most likely more in the neighbourhood of 66 or 67 drivers as already suggested by others. I haven't run that combo myself, so I have no firsthand experience, but logic from other chain/bar combos and the math dictates it needs more drivers.

i have an 16 bar set up for my efco 962[which to me is about like the 360.]
its a good combination. about like having an super powered 028 ,as to wt.
even tho i luv the 028, the62cc with16 combination, just cut so much faster and stronger than the
028 i finally sold it, so it wouldnt just set.my application is in mostly hardwood.

TimberPig said:
I think we need to clarify the measurement procedure. Was it measured the entire way around the bar and sprocket as the chain would ride? If it was, this would have to be more like 40"+ as Saw Troll mentioned. 40" would = approximately 62 drivers, as only every second pitch has a driver. The only way to get it that small would be to back it right down until the tail of the bar is scraping the drive sprocket. Normally the chain adjuster isn't backed down this far even with a new chain. it is most likely more in the neighbourhood of 66 or 67 drivers as already suggested by others. I haven't run that combo myself, so I have no firsthand experience, but logic from other chain/bar combos and the math dictates it needs more drivers.

This is almost the actually measurement procedue I used. and descries it perfect The string was cotton and will stretch some The string ideal came from Oregon

You said in your initial post it was 20". Which is it, and where was the bar positioned in the adjustment range?

My MS-260 pro

came the with the following chain for a 16" bar

attachment.php

TimberPig said:
You said in your initial post it was 20". Which is it, and where was the bar positioned in the adjustment range?

The string double measure 20 inches The adjustment was run back toward the sprocket until bar almost touched sprocket Sixteen inch chain with 60 DL was not long enough .

The bar was mounted to saw head. Then the string was put around sprocked and bar. Stright out not double the string was 40 inches. Engineer at Oregon does the bar and chain deal with computer. He advise I use the string like a chain.He may have said to add one or two inches to string to get correct DL. That part I just can not say for sure

Jack Russell said:
... For some reason I had the feeling I may not be using good judgment runing the shorter bar. ...

Why not?

I regularly use a 15" bar and 3/8"x8 sprocket on my 361.
It is a nice and agile combination for limbing, and I also used that setup for most of my bucking last year.
The longer 18" bar is mostly used for felling.

Latest posts

Back