18 too small?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OP is running a 440 with a 25" bar, he wants to fit something shorter for bucking smaller wood...
I'd say get the 18", and put an 8-pin rim sprocket on it, with full-comp chain. More chain speed, a little lighter wieght, the dude's gonna be stoked...

Sometimes you just need a change...

After running Mr. 880 with a 42" bar for a few hours, and I pick up a 440 with a 28" bar, it feels like the lightest darn saw in the world...;)

LMAO Brad.....So true Bro!!!!

??? You call 20" on a 440 a big saw? I didn't tell him to run a 28" like I have on mine. 20" will balance nicely. Much shorted and you don't need to be carrying a power head of that size. Fit the tool to the job.

You know mine with the 28 and it still screams...I wouldnt go less at all...Less bending over for limbing,,and you have all the bar you need when you run into a big tree...18 inch is like a limb from the red oaks here ...
I use the 346xp or ms260 pro for stuff under 20 at times,,but for the biguns pull out the 440....

I only use Stihl chain

I like it, it's easy to get and the dealer I get it from has good prices.
Maybe that I'm to lazy but I use very, very little chisel chain.
Semi-chisel just seems to cut so much longer before it needs hit
with a file.

TT

The last time I used a semi-chisel for anything but what I said about the 95VP was in 2005 or 2006 - it was a stump close to the cottage, that I cut really low! :biggrinbounce2:

what is a 8-pin rim? is that the drive gear that drives the chain off of the clutch? go with a smaller blade and a faster blade speed, thing should scream!

what is a 8-pin rim? is that the drive gear that drives the chain off of the clutch? go with a smaller blade and a faster blade speed, thing should scream!

It is just that - an 8-pin will have a larger diameter and provide a larger initial chain speed - the question is if the saw has the power to maintain a higher speed in the wood, as torque will be lower.

The outcome will of course depend on several other factors as well, not just the saw - just try, those rims are cheap!

Totally depends on where you are and what you are cutting. IT really slows you down when you can't buck in one pass, so I would get a bar to match the logs. Around here 18" will get about 75% of the trees I cut down, and a 20' will probably get about 85%. I cut a tree today that was too big for my 24", but that is very uncommon for me.

i want it to balance well and be nice to use....it is too big for the 25 inch bar. i am just trying to keep my 2 saws and have that do all i need. i have enough toys and that is just one less thing i have to store if i were to buy a midsize saw right now-just sold my ms310 that was a good midsize saw

i want it to balance well and be nice to use....it is too big for the 25 inch bar. i am just trying to keep my 2 saws and have that do all i need. i have enough toys and that is just one less thing i have to store if i were to buy a midsize saw right now-just sold my ms310 that was a good midsize saw

I believe a 20" will balance that saw perfectly - it does on my 372xp! :biggrinbounce2:

what do you guys think of the oregan bar and chains? i am kind of a stihl snob but if they are as good or better i may try a cheap bar before i buy a stihl bar to make sure i like it

what do you guys think of the oregan bar and chains? i am kind of a stihl snob but if they are as good or better i may try a cheap bar before i buy a stihl bar to make sure i like it

Oregon bars are good to very good, and their best chain are great - but not all of them, as with Stihl! ;)

No, this is not photoshopped:)

668165836_eABD2-M.jpg

question, in the picture about, right below the black handle in the area of the white plastic, you can see a round circle with and I above it and an O below it, my 440 has this also and i was wondering what it ment? i'm going to borrow an 18inch and see what i think of the weight and balance, than see if it seems too small and needs a 20. you guys are all nuts, but smart nuts! lol haha

question, in the picture about, right below the black handle in the area of the white plastic, you can see a round circle with and I above it and an O below it, my 440 has this also and i was wondering what it ment?

Its a knock out of the switch if you had a heated carb/handlebars option.

Run what ever bar suits the wood you are cutting, 18" for felling and bucking works great for most of the the timber around these parts, it just plain rips through anything on the 372 and 576. All my less than 60cc saws usually sport 15-16" bars, suits what I am cutting.

??? You call 20" on a 440 a big saw? I didn't tell him to run a 28" like I have on mine. 20" will balance nicely. Much shorted and you don't need to be carrying a power head of that size. Fit the tool to the job.

Brad your right on as always! 20" is about right ,though I like the 25" for my 441 it seems to be the "sweet spot" 440 I think would be the same.

Latest posts

Back