201t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipkyss

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Please tell me someone has something in the works to get some more power out of this saw. I picked up one since there are not anymore 200T around me. Its a great, well balanced comfortable saw. It does not come even close to the power of a muffler mod 200T. Feels like a homeowner saw. It just does not have the power to make the quick cuts that need to be done. I ran it side by side with one of my old 020T today just for a comparison. I would take the 020T all day long. My local saw shop said they tried playing with the muffler, carb, ect and didn't gain any noticeable power.

After seeing this over and over, to the point that it simply and needlessly give a possible good saw a bad name, and its this..................... I have this older broke in saw and I just ran it against this newer, unbroke saw, and ................... guess what............. the newer saw is not faster, well duh.

A newer unbroke 200T isn't as fast as an older broke in 200T either. Why not give it a few tanks and then see what happens?

Just wondering,

Sam

I hate change as much as, if not more than, the avg. Joe, but Slamm makes a good point.

All saws wake up a good bit after the rings seat.
Stratos seem to take longer than the older saws to break in.

Keep running the thing for a while, re-tune, and see if it dosn't wake up a bit.
I bet it will.

If not, one of the sicko's here will have Mods figured out in a couple months.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I was thinking what was said in posts 2 and 3,the Stihls need to get some run time for the power to come up a bit.

All saws wake up a good bit after the rings seat.
Stratos seem to take longer than the older saws to break in.

Nail on the head

I've had two new strato saws, a Husky 576XP and a Stihl 441C-M. Both took a lot of time to wake up, and this seems to be the same situation as a lot of other members with new stratos have experienced.

I ran a 1/2 tank through an out of the box MS201T at the local Stihl dealer's open house. 201T seems to have a bit more torque, but 1/2 tank does not a expert make. What I noticed though, was the dual raker green chain the saw came with stock, though very smooth was not as fast or aggressive as regular PMC, that could be part of the difference.

I'm going to get a 201T demo saw, or what's left of one, from the dealer to try out after a few of his tree service customers have had their way with it. In short it will be broken in. Will report my findings / thoughts after.

Give it time pretty sure things will improve.

Take Care

The climber/cutter at the tree service I work at part time just bought a 201T. It seemed real doggy at first but is starting to wake up after a few tanks. I believe it will be a good saw after it is broken in. But in the same sense I dont think it will be as zippy as the 200T is. Time will tell.

I have bought 3 new climbing saws each year for about the last 15 years. Picked up 2-440, and a 460 in the last six months. I'm not new to breaking in a saw. I am about 15 tanks into this 201T with very minimal improvements. First thing I did was remove the stock chain. Its been tuned. Maybe I just got a bad one, But I am very disappointed. Its doggy, and lacking a good amount of power compared to a 200T. It just does not cut near as fast. It makes for a long day when you have to under cut every branch you want to drop. I know this is the future of saws, I am just not ready for it.

I have bought 3 new climbing saws each year for about the last 15 years. Picked up 2-440, and a 460 in the last six months. I'm not new to breaking in a saw. I am about 15 tanks into this 201T with very minimal improvements. First thing I did was remove the stock chain. Its been tuned. Maybe I just got a bad one, But I am very disappointed. Its doggy, and lacking a good amount of power compared to a 200T. It just does not cut near as fast. It makes for a long day when you have to under cut every branch you want to drop. I know this is the future of saws, I am just not ready for it.

Thats what I suspected:clap:Thanks for the report.

it's the explosive response that makes the 200T top dog, as a pruning saw they're so effortless to use, the merest touch of the trigger has the engine at full power, these new 201T's sound like they might have a whole new bore X stroke and different piston, bearings, conrod, porting etc... sounds like a big F-up to me

Rebuild?

Can't you keep the older 200Ts running via rebuilding, or do they just get destroyed/worn out too bad every year?

What does Stihl corporate say? How far up the ladder have the complaints really gone? I don't mean to some dealer or his regional guy, I mean some fatcat german who speaks german and who was born and lives over yonder and has a big title after his name. At least that high. If you haven't gone that high you haven't really complained enough yet.

Have you pro arborist guys tried a petition or something else, do you have any sort of official industry organization setup you'all belong to that can represent you in a sit down discussion with anyone at Stihl who has any power? Do you have some vids showing real world results, the new saw versus the old saw, side by side, right on the job, complete with stopwatch action and no holds barred no censoring "plain speak" on running those things trying to make a living?

Seems like if it is *that* much worse, with those saws being high dollar items, your collective voices might get heard.

Sounds like the thing should be recalled really. Happened in other industries, even with expensive stuff. sometimes they just put out a lemon. It may run, but if it don't *work*, it's a lemon.

Heck, take the stupid things back, demand your money back, say it does not "work" in general terms as you expect and know a saw like that should work. That you don't want a "fix", but that it is a lemon in general terms, it is not a "professional" class saw anymore, and you don't want an expensive "homeowner" saw. Tell them if all they can offer is a homeowner class saw, you'll take your business elsewhere for a similar saw at half price.

There should be no absolute need to pay top bucks for a pro class anything, then have to "mod" it later (even if this is possible) just in order to get your job done. That's just silly ridiculous to put up with and pay real bucks for something like that.

I am still waiting to hear raves about the 201 T and yet to hear anyone say how great it is.I hear a lot of complaints but nothing much good.No one has opened up the muffler yet why not?That would really finish this saw if a muffler mod did not help.Also I hear the carb only has one adjustment jet and is limited.

The way to get Stihl's attention is not buying the new product. Sure worked with Coke in the 80's when they changed the original formula. Buy a remaining new 200T's if you can find one.

Not apples to apples, but I can't believe just how dramatically the amount of power increases
on strato saws once broken completely. I sold a Christmas tree farm 5 MS211's shortly after they came out in late 2009
now they have two full seasons of work on them. I ran one of the broken in 211's next to a MS250 and there was very little
cut time difference. Yes the 250 was still faster, but nor by much, but that's a 10cc up hill fight.

These strato saws seem very tight until broken in properly which is taking 10-15 tanks of fuel to fully break in the
motor.

Even take a brand new 200T vs one with a months worth of tree work and the brand new saw will seem weak.

Not apples to apples, but I can't believe just how dramatically the amount of power increases
on strato saws once broken completely. I sold a Christmas tree farm 5 MS211's shortly after they came out in late 2009
now they have two full seasons of work on them. I ran one of the broken in 211's next to a MS250 and there was very little
cut time difference. Yes the 250 was still faster, but nor by much, but that's a 10cc up hill fight.

These strato saws seem very tight until broken in properly which is taking 10-15 tanks of fuel to fully break in the
motor.

Even take a brand new 200T vs one with a months worth of tree work and the brand new saw will seem weak.

Very good observation but the problem is most of the 020 T saws are now gone from the shelfs and by the time we get this figured out they will all be gone.So buy what you can find now or wait?

Back