201t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't you keep the older 200Ts running via rebuilding, or do they just get destroyed/worn out too bad every year?

What does Stihl corporate say? How far up the ladder have the complaints really gone? I don't mean to some dealer or his regional guy, I mean some fatcat german who speaks german and who was born and lives over yonder and has a big title after his name. At least that high. If you haven't gone that high you haven't really complained enough yet.

Have you pro arborist guys tried a petition or something else, do you have any sort of official industry organization setup you'all belong to that can represent you in a sit down discussion with anyone at Stihl who has any power? Do you have some vids showing real world results, the new saw versus the old saw, side by side, right on the job, complete with stopwatch action and no holds barred no censoring "plain speak" on running those things trying to make a living?

Seems like if it is *that* much worse, with those saws being high dollar items, your collective voices might get heard.

Sounds like the thing should be recalled really. Happened in other industries, even with expensive stuff. sometimes they just put out a lemon. It may run, but if it don't *work*, it's a lemon.

Heck, take the stupid things back, demand your money back, say it does not "work" in general terms as you expect and know a saw like that should work. That you don't want a "fix", but that it is a lemon in general terms, it is not a "professional" class saw anymore, and you don't want an expensive "homeowner" saw. Tell them if all they can offer is a homeowner class saw, you'll take your business elsewhere for a similar saw at half price.

There should be no absolute need to pay top bucks for a pro class anything, then have to "mod" it later (even if this is possible) just in order to get your job done. That's just silly ridiculous to put up with and pay real bucks for something like that.

You ever try to do that with a Dealer they aint walmart. In fact most Dealers are jerky but not all of them.

You ever try to do that with a Dealer they aint walmart. In fact most Dealers are jerky but not all of them.

Do what with a dealer, bring back something while still under warranty? I know a commercial use warranty is very limited in time, but if it falls under that time, and it was my money buying an expensive tool that didn't work properly, yep, I'd take it back and if that dealer didn't do anything about it I'd keep bumping it up the food chain all the way I could.

I ain't the least bit shy about recovering something like 6-700 bucks if I feel like I got burned. I'd give it a serious shot anyway. Just kvetching on the internets doesn't get you much.

And *especially* if it was some dealer that I had bought a crapload of other expensive articles from in the past.

also note: it ain't me complaining here and just taking it in the shorts and wallet. If someone else wants to just eat an inferior disfunctional product, *and* pay top dollar planet earth for it, that's their call not mine. Buying the same or similar tool year after year then you buy the alleged "new and improved model" and it isn't half what the old model is..hell ya I'd be all over that trying to get my money back. If they claim something is professional use, and it always was, and now it has dropped to non professional use...nope, not acceptable. Hell, I'd take it to small claims even if they wouldn't take their lemon back. And I'd have proof in tow with me to show the judge, videos showing side by side cuts for example with the real "pro class" article.

If fordchevydodge was selling a 3/4 ton truck year after year and I went in and bought one as 3/4 ton truck and you tried to load 3/4 ton in it and it went flat and sagged and wallowed down the road, same thing, take it back.

OK, I am looking at stihlusa website. they most definitely "class" their saws, right there in their advertising and advising you which saw to buy. And under "professional tree care chainsaws"-note the word professional, meaning you are supposed to be using this thing to make money with on expensive commercial jobs-it lists the 201T in question.

Now, according to what is stated up above, you no longer can do the same fast cuts with it as the older 200T, and as such, it can no longer really be called professional class. And this is according to the guys who have used them so far, not me, I ain't got a dog in this fight other than not wanting to see folks screwed because of corporate screwups. You just *don't* have to take it if you push it hard enough. Look at that big toyota truck recall that is happening now with the inferior rusting out frames on some models and years. It took enough people really getting in their face about it with some actual proof, that's it, they are getting their money back. And proof in the chainsaw world should be fairly evident, back to back cutting with different saws showing old reliable versus new and not improved at all, but falling behind even.

Now if a someone or many someones don't feel like getting in stihl corporates face over this new saw that don't cut the mustard to a pro level *like they expected and paid for*, hey, not my lookout, just keep eating it and complaining on some forum..ya, that'll work.... Ain't no one gonna help until you at first help yourself.

Zog:

Read your rant about the 201T. The problem is not one of an inferior product. The 201T performs as advertised; just not better than advertised like the 200T does without the spark arrester screen.

Yeah...me too

I disliked the 201T from the moment I saw it. After running it a bit, the saw has NOT "waken up". I will say that feels more balanced at the end of the day. However, throttle response is crap, I don't care for alot of the 192T design features that ended up in the 201T, and I really don't feel like it pulls the chain through firewood nearly as well as the 200T. Brad...Ron's 201T is probably sitting on the shelf most of the week right now... we need to discuss getting that muffler modded to see if there's any hope at all for this machine.

The nice thing about playing with the timing, is that it's reversible. That and carb tuning makes a big difference with the 261. Didn't MCW mention something about it being difficult to remove the limiters on the carb?

The nice thing about playing with the timing, is that it's reversible. That and carb tuning makes a big difference with the 261. Didn't MCW mention something about it being difficult to remove the limiters on the carb?

That sticks out in my mind yes he had a hell of a time and all the dremel marks to prove it as I recall.

Last edited:
<$600 will get one to your door with a MM, timing advance, and unlimited carb. That's a one time offer just so I can play with one:)

Sorry I am a little bit low on dough at this time ask me whyView attachment 207464 and I do appreciate the offer and I thank you for that but I have ten MS 200Ts now and really cant use anymore saws at this time.

Last edited:
Dealer I go through took a 201T. Modded the muffler, removed the limiters and retuned it. His opinion was it was a waste of time as there was no noticeable cut time difference. And still very laggy. I guess the lag is a lot more aggravating then the power itself. Instead of pulling the trigger and making the cut. You kind of have to put the trigger, wait 1-2 seconds for it to rev up. Then make the cut. I guess I need to check out the sprocket on it, because even full throttle the chain does not seem to spin as quick at the 200T. Out of all the saw I have bought in the years. I honestly feel like Stihl owes me some money back on this one...

Latest posts

Back