201t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if Stihl is overwhelmed with complaints, if they would start selling the MS200t again.

I wonder if Stihl is overwhelmed with complaints, if they would start selling the MS200t again.

Highly unlikely

The EPA regs forced the retirement of the MS200T, quite certain Stihl didn't just kill one of their bread and butter products on a whim.

Not that it matters to me, but the area Stihl rep at a local dealer's open house told me the MS200T was one of, if not the dirtiest product in the Stihl line, and they held off as long as they could.

Take Care

Last edited:
but if the 201 is weaker it shouldn't matter because the 201's incredible amazing new chizel safety chain is 15.100048766% BETTER! Stihl would never lie

Not just me, my guys don't even want to use the saw now. Willing to box it up and send it to someone that has some good ideas for it. As long as there is some proof of you knowing what to do and the saw does not come back in a pile of parts. I would be as happy as can be for it to be comparable to a muffler mod 200T.

Not just me, my guys don't even want to use the saw now. Willing to box it up and send it to someone that has some good ideas for it. As long as there is some proof of you knowing what to do and the saw does not come back in a pile of parts. I would be as happy as can be for it to be comparable to a muffler mod 200T.

Have you seen this post?
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/185736.htm

Dealer I go through took a 201T. Modded the muffler, removed the limiters and retuned it. His opinion was it was a waste of time as there was no noticeable cut time difference. And still very laggy. I guess the lag is a lot more aggravating then the power itself. Instead of pulling the trigger and making the cut. You kind of have to put the trigger, wait 1-2 seconds for it to rev up. Then make the cut. I guess I need to check out the sprocket on it, because even full throttle the chain does not seem to spin as quick at the 200T. Out of all the saw I have bought in the years. I honestly feel like Stihl owes me some money back on this one...

just got one brand new 201t tuesday . IMHO junk , not a fan . Hard starting , lousy response to the trigger ( i could deal with 1-2 second lag) . pulling the trigger almost seem like the brake is on at first . ms200t i've gotten , brand new out of the box , ran fine. snappy throttle . this one , BLAH !!! i understand modding to get the most you can . but if you spend $600 plus for a saw , it should run like a $600 saw , out of the box ! maybe i just got a bad one , and should have the boss take it back. and spend the money to fix the 2 200t's on the bench .

I have a rear-handle 200 (with the spark arrestor removed) and just got a rear-handle 201. We use these saws for ecological restoration work, clearing invasive brush and thinning small trees out of oak woodlands, including a lot of groundwork. So its good to have a powerful saw that can get through a 10" tree, but light enough so you can move it around a lot all day long without getting too tired.

I haven't found the throttle response to be much of an issue for us, but it just doesn't seem to have the top end power. The 200 just has more 'guts'. You can just push the 200 through a tree hard and it will keep working. The 201 just bogs down and gives up if you push it hard.

After about a week of use, this 201 doesn't seem to be any better than the 192 I tried out a couple years ago. At twice the price, I'm considering returning this 201 under the 30 day warranty and getting a 192 instead, dropping 1.5 lbs of weight wouldn't hurt either! I will look at what Husqvarna has in this weight range, but there are very few Huskie dealers around here.

well i took brads advice and did some creative redesigning of the mechanics of my 201t. and i would agree with brad that its deffinetly better than a 200. be curious to see the top of the piston in 20 tanks of fuel to see what the advanced timing does...

well i took brads advice and did some creative redesigning of the mechanics of my 201t. and i would agree with brad that its deffinetly better than a 200. be curious to see the top of the piston in 20 tanks of fuel to see what the advanced timing does...

What exactly did you do to your 201t?

Follow the link in post #67, and do what Brad shows. I didn't run Josh's saw before he modded it, but I did after. You have all the 200ts if I can have a 201 that runs like that.

I have ran somewhere around 10-12 tanks through mine since I got it back from brad. No issues yet. While I feel it does have more power than the 200T now, I don't think it is a night and day difference. I do prefer the 201T over the 200T and that says a lot as far as I am concerned. I think it is in general a better saw. Time will tell the story now.

Latest posts

Back