346's are now NLA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The title of this thread is "346's are now NLA". I know the 346 is not the answer to every question. In fact, in another thread, I told a guy that a ms261 might be just what he needed. In many cases, for many people, Dolmar may be the best fit, for a number of reasons. I, personally, like lightweight 40cc, revvy 50cc, and awesome 70cc, whoever made them. I wouldn't have responded to this thread if someone hadn't typed "over-hyped".

ETA: If you don't remember the Jonestown Massacre, "sipping the kool-aid" is a very offensive, and inaccurate, term. IMO.

Last edited:
The 346xpne is a very good saw, just not the magic bulllet many would have you believe, I tried one, found a better option. It will go down with many legendary saws that were replaced like the 372xpw, 044, MS 361 and many others, a year from now you won't see much wrote about them as a better option with better technology will be on the market, it just the way saws go on here, used to be every other thread was about the 361, then then the 346 fad hit, 562 now and it will continue to be this way. Dealers still have them on the shelf in this area, people will be able to get new ones for a while. People will soon forget it in stock form with all the technology and performance headed down the pipeline.

I gotta 346xp not too long ago and yea i like it, but it aint made by god up in heaven, it's a good saw for sure, but its so dang small and i'm not a huge fan of .325 chain. I will convert it to 3/8 one day proberly.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 346xp soon but I only run 3/8 chain is there any draw back about converting the 346 to 3/8 bar and chain

The title of this thread is "346's are now NLA". I know the 346 is not the answer to every question. In fact, in another thread, I told a guy that a ms261 might be just what he needed. In many cases, for many people, Dolmar may be the best fit, for a number of reasons. I, personally, like lightweight 40cc, revvy 50cc, and awesome 70cc, whoever made them. I wouldn't have responded to this thread if someone hadn't typed "over-hyped".

ETA: If you don't remember the Jonestown Massacre, "sipping the kool-aid" is a very offensive, and inaccurate, term. IMO.

You know, you can take just about any phrase you want and link it to some point in history. For me growing up as a kid, kool-aid meant a guy in a juice pitcher crashing through walls.
I remember Jonestown, the massacre of the US diplomat, and the mass suicide. You and I discussing chainsaws has nothing to do with it, unless you for whatever reason want it to be. Lay off the PC nonsense, we have way too much of it in this world already.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 346xp soon but I only run 3/8 chain is there any draw back about converting the 346 to 3/8 bar and chain

346xp will pull 3/8 chain just fine. Some say it's even faster with it.

But I'm happy with .325 on mine.

I gotta 346xp not too long ago and yea i like it, but it aint made by god up in heaven, it's a good saw for sure, but its so dang small and i'm not a huge fan of .325 chain. I will convert it to 3/8 one day proberly.

It's a 50cc saw?

Being so small is actually a good thing! :msp_biggrin:

You know, tallguys, if we met in person, we would probably get along great. I just don't like being called a "kool-aid sipper" (and that term does go back to Jonestown), just because I happen to like a particular saw, and hate to see it go. I never called you names. And I ain't "PC", or brand-blinded.

346xp will pull 3/8 chain just fine. Some say it's even faster with it.

But I'm happy with .325 on mine.

After thinking about it, that makes since with the sprocket having a larger diameter. Glad to hear I may own one and try a 3/8 conversion soon... Correct me if I'm wrong to convert the pitch on a saw it only takes a bar, chain, and sprocket correct?

You know, tallguys, if we met in person, we would probably get along great. I just don't like being called a "kool-aid sipper" (and that term does go back to Jonestown), just because I happen to like a particular saw, and hate to see it go. I never called you names. And I ain't "PC", or brand-blinded.

I don't disagree, we most likely would get along great in person. Look, I have no issue with you or any other AS member. What I do get tired of is the constant cheerleading (for lack of a better term) of the latest faze. When I first poked my head in here years back, it was the Stihl 361. Then upon my return it was the 5100S. Since I stopped lurking and actually signed up its the 346XP. Its refreshing to read a thread where if someone asks about a 5105 vs. a 261, you get to read about members opinions of those saws. Imagine someone asking about the new 562XP and every other reply is about how they need to get a 441 or 7900. Or when some member proclaims proudly their newest acquisition and belittled and told just how unworkable and totally below par his chainsaw is. It gets old pretty quick.

I don't see where I called you names, rather than asking you not to go a certain politically correct route. I can't speak for the USA but Canada is all to rife with that silliness.
But I apologize all the same if you took it to mean that. As you've mentioned and I have no reason to doubt, you may not be model or brand blinded. The same unfortunately, cannot be said about quite a few members here.

After thinking about it, that makes since with the sprocket having a larger diameter. Glad to hear I may own one and try a 3/8 conversion soon... Correct me if I'm wrong to convert the pitch on a saw it only takes a bar, chain, and sprocket correct?

Yes.

The 346xp might be good, but it sure isn't the answer to everything, contrary to what many here on AS would have others believe. .....

It is, if you care about how a 50cc saw handles in the woods, when limbing etc - but the 550xp may be even better (I don't really know yet). The Stihl and Dolmar 50cc saws aren't even remotely close in that regard.

Husqvarna 346xp is not "over hyped". They really are That Good. I don't hate Dolmars, in fact I own one, however not a 510X, allthough if one fell in my lap, I'm sure I wouldn't throw it away. But Husky Really hit a sweet spot with the 346. It's the truth. It's real. It will be legendary.

It already is! :rockn::rockn:

Cute, but you can give it a rest already. There is absolutely nothing you can do with your over hyped 346 that I cannot do with my 5105.

Likely not, but it surely can be done in a neater and better way with the 346xp.

The 346xp is no way "over hyped" - but some of the "competition" surely is! :msp_biggrin:

Likely not, but it surely can be done in a neater and better way with the 346xp.

The 346xp is no way "over hyped" - but some of the "competition" surely is! :msp_biggrin:

Sorry Niko, but all I heard out of that nonsense was blah, blah, blah...

Like I said old friend, there is absolutely NOTHING you can do with your saw that I and others cannot do with ours.

Husqvarna 346xp is not "over hyped". They really are That Good. I don't hate Dolmars, in fact I own one, however not a 510X, allthough if one fell in my lap, I'm sure I wouldn't throw it away. But Husky Really hit a sweet spot with the 346. It's the truth. It's real. It will be legendary.

It is over hyped, just like the 361. Give me an 036 or 360 anyday. ST makes it out to be a savior. it isn't. It doesn't have the nuts to pull 3/8 chain in anything bigger than 8" wood. the "ultimate" mid range saw, one hit wonder, ONE saw is supposedto do everything well. I'm not going to use a 346 to limb 2" limbs then pick up a 562 to cut branches with, then pick up a 372 to cut the rest. The 51xx saw you haven't ran will pull 3/8 faster than any of the 346 varients, will cut its full bar buried without puking orange all over the place. etc. I had a couple, didn't like them and sold them..guess what, i can tune a carb and mine isn't melted down like others like to say will eventually happen.. Those that do have the 3crappy6, great. For the rest of AS and bought them to actually cut more than 3" sapplings and were disappointed like myself, i say goooooooooooood Ridddddddddddddddens again.

Back