346's are now NLA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is over hyped, just like the 361. Give me an 036 or 360 anyday. ST makes it out to be a savior. it isn't. It doesn't have the nuts to pull 3/8 chain in anything bigger than 8" wood. the "ultimate" mid range saw, one hit wonder, ONE saw is supposedto do everything well. I'm not going to use a 346 to limb 2" limbs then pick up a 562 to cut branches with, then pick up a 372 to cut the rest. The 51xx saw you haven't ran will pull 3/8 faster than any of the 346 varients, will cut its full bar buried without puking orange all over the place. etc. I had a couple, didn't like them and sold them..guess what, i can tune a carb and mine isn't melted down like others like to say will eventually happen.. Those that do have the 3crappy6, great. For the rest of AS and bought them to actually cut more than 3" sapplings and were disappointed like myself, i say goooooooooooood Ridddddddddddddddens again.

I can see you don't like the saw, but most of the rest of that is just Wrong!

It is over hyped, just like the 361. Give me an 036 or 360 anyday. ST makes it out to be a savior. it isn't. It doesn't have the nuts to pull 3/8 chain in anything bigger than 8" wood. the "ultimate" mid range saw, one hit wonder, ONE saw is supposedto do everything well. I'm not going to use a 346 to limb 2" limbs then pick up a 562 to cut branches with, then pick up a 372 to cut the rest. The 51xx saw you haven't ran will pull 3/8 faster than any of the 346 varients, will cut its full bar buried without puking orange all over the place. etc. I had a couple, didn't like them and sold them..guess what, i can tune a carb and mine isn't melted down like others like to say will eventually happen.. Those that do have the 3crappy6, great. For the rest of AS and bought them to actually cut more than 3" sapplings and were disappointed like myself, i say goooooooooooood Ridddddddddddddddens again.

Next post from 346 crowd will be;

Oh Yeah well once I muffler mod, port and put a bigger carb on my 346xp it will pull a 3/8 chain better than a stock 5100...

Who cares if it then cost as much as a Dolmar 7900, it would probably out cut that too.

gg

Keep chumming, f-stang, maybe someone will bite on that saw you have for sale. The classifieds are where non-sponsors sell saws.

Oh, come on now Steve. What kind of piece of junk 346 have you run;)

Except for the "mojo factor" of owning one (like a Fender Tele or an old Martin D-18), is there anything to be gained performance wise for someone who cuts maybe 6 cord of firewood a year and has a great running 353, to spend another 500+ on a 346XP?

I almost bought one of the last at my dealers last week when all I wanted was some chain! I passed opting to save for a 60+cc saw of any good brand.

Am I nuts?

Mike

Keep chumming, f-stang, maybe someone will bite on that saw you have for sale. The classifieds are where non-sponsors sell saws.
UHM Hullo? I am not selling anything. I have already sold my 346's so go point some fingers at someone else. But its ok for non sponsers to port saws and post here, huh? ok... you're another troll

Oh, come on now Steve. What kind of piece of junk 346 have you run;)

I have run some awesome 346's, That one eric Built was a screamer for sure and the fastest I have ran, but not your everyday work saw. I"m not talking about modded saws here.. just stock out of the box 346. You know, the ones that based on the specs say it saves starving people in Africa? The light sabre in a box?....

Seriously, being away from the site for a few years has opend my eyes a little... the views here are so narrow minded you can't even see the wood chips not flying off the saw... heavin forbid you have to actually cut wood with it. Not many people outside of this place even know what a modded saw is... not that that is a bad thing, but maybe Husky finally realized that other than the couple thousand of saws they sold to members here, it wasn't a big seller like they thought it should be.

Except for the "mojo factor" of owning one (like a Fender Tele or an old Martin D-18), is there anything to be gained performance wise for someone who cuts maybe 6 cord of firewood a year and has a great running 353, to spend another 500+ on a 346XP?

I almost bought one of the last at my dealers last week when all I wanted was some chain! I passed opting to save for a 60+cc saw of any good brand.

Am I nuts?

Mike

in my opinion, NO. the 353 has more useable torque. The 346 is great for really small stuff, not bar buried stuff, and surely not enough to warrent losing a couple hundred bucks on a saw that you already have. now if you want to shell out 500 bucks for the saw and another 250 to port it, then sure it will fun good, but then you are into alot better saw for the money Price range...

I use saws for a living, and there was no comparison between the stock 346 and the stock 353 I used this summer (neither were mine). The 346 was a very nice saw, and one I would not hesitate to buy.

I see you edited your sigline to remove the "saws for sale". Nice. I'm not trolling, and I don't have an agenda. Nor do i lay any hate on any particular saw.

I see you edited your sigline to remove the "saws for sale". Nice. I'm not trolling, and I don't have an agenda. Nor do i lay any hate on any particular saw.

no, because you reported me, the mods edit it for me. i don't have agenda either dude. I've been around alot longer than your 40 posts shows..

He didn't report you. Your signature contained a list of saws for sale. It wasn't hard to spot.

I apologize, i didn't know you couldn't list personal stuff for sale in you sig. i know Ive seen tons of other regulars do it for years. Again i'm sorry, didn't mean any harm by it.

Haha! I was thinking about that, but I already have a couple in stock. They don't move too well, but if they were the only ones left, then guys would grab them. Hmmmm, maybe I should jump over there right now and get 'em.

No way I'd order the Trio's. But the truth is that it's really not as intrusive as it looks. I limed out a tree with one and never trip it, or even noticed that it was there. Only time I tripped it was when bucking a log on the ground.

If they had that many trio brake versions left and I wanted some 346's I would certainly buy them because you can take it off in about five minutes if your taking your time. When I took mine off you couldn't tell it ever had one. I was able to get mine because so many people were like the FOOLS on here and turned there nose up at it. Fortunately for me though at $387 TO MY DOOR from Texas, so thank you people for not being able to think outside the box because it got me a heck of a deal on a saw :msp_wink: Grab em up Spike, take them brakes off, and pad your pockets. :msp_thumbup:

Gotta love the TrioBrake!

[video=youtube;jAPo5Q5_emI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAPo5Q5_emI[/video]

That is a strange beast.... and I thought Stihls C-Q system was kinda funky...

I watched that video through, boy I never use the brake, I see the point of safety that whenever he is not using the saw to cut he puts on the brake - like moving the branches out of the way - how many of you all do that? I don't think I ever did that, sure it is safe - maybe I will start - funny I just started wearing chaps recently and I experienced the worst kick back ever - not the chaps would help with that, I was wearing my helmet and visor, anyway how many of you activate the brake whenever you have the saw in your hands and do something else like moving branches or fresh cut logs out of your of the way?

I use my brake a lot. any time I take my hand off to move a branch, step a few steps etc. Just feel safer IMO. If it wears out I will replace it brakes are a consumable commodity after all.

I have two rules about setting the brake. Whenever one hand comes off of the saw, and whenever I take more than two steps. This subject has been hammered to death on this site. Once you get in the habit of setting the brake it becomes second nature. I don't really put any concentration into it. Of course, this is one of those "choice" things, like wearing a helmet when you ride a motorcycle.

For those questioning, look up the OSHA injury diagram for chainsaw use and notice the number of hand injuries. How would you cut your hand if the brake was set?

I agree it is a choice... I don't preach, but recommend all use the PPE and brake... as far as the hands yes they get cut by taking it off the handle to do something as the saw is slowing from idle... or a saw set w/ too high an idle so the chain moves.

dw

That is a strange beast.... and I thought Stihls C-Q system was kinda funky...

I use my brake a lot. any time I take my hand off to move a branch, step a few steps etc. Just feel safer IMO. If it wears out I will replace it brakes are a consumable commodity after all.

I agree it is a choice... I don't preach, but recommend all use the PPE and brake... as far as the hands yes they get cut by taking it off the handle to do something as the saw is slowing from idle... or a saw set w/ too high an idle so the chain moves.

dw

For kicks and giggles I went and test drove the saw (TrioBrake) at local Husky dealer I tired the regular 346 when I bought my MS 261; could I get use to that brake in the back I think I could but it would be a long time :msp_wink:

They had a nice piece of Fir 14" dia set-up in the back of the shop and the saw did bog down there was four other guys there also I only made about 15 cookies with it

Would I get it na don't think so; at least I tired it before I talk about it :msp_tongue:

I'm glad the 346s are gone myself. I was very disappointed with the 2153 stock with a non cat muffler modded. I ran ported ones form a lot of the builders on here and I was never impressed with the power and superior handling everyone speaks of. Give me a 70 or 90 cc saw and I'm happy. I know lots of you people love them but I think they suck.:pumpkin2:

I'm glad the 346s are gone myself. I was very disappointed with the 2153 stock with a non cat muffler modded. I ran ported ones form a lot of the builders on here and I was never impressed with the power and superior handling everyone speaks of. Give me a 70 or 90 cc saw and I'm happy. I know lots of you people love them but I think they suck.:pumpkin2:

Well your preference for a 70 - 90 cc saw expalins your disdain for the 346 more than the performance of the 346 itself. I respect that many have personal preference for certain saws and the 346xp may not have been for everybody. In my opinion, all the AS folks that ran out and bought the 346xp because of its reputation then chimned in here claiming that it was a laser and capable of working like a 90cc saw got people a little tired of hearing the 'rave reviews'. Basically, the saw does handle like a dream, is a great limber, and is capable of cutting 12-14" hardwood with enough authority to not put it down and start another saw to finish the job. I have put a lot of time on mine and have been extremely pleased with it (bone stock btw). I became a believer when the 346 basically made my 357xp redundant. In sum, it is an excellent saw, but certainly not everyone's favourite; it has its limitations--it is a 50cc saw don't forget! Carry on.

Tim

I do even want a 70 or 90cc saw. Different strokes... :pumpkin2:

I guess it was just way under powered to what some people on here said. I thought it lacked power in wood over 8". I guess my opinion of pulling a 16" bar buried in oak and hickory and others is different. The 555 with a muffler mod was tolerable.

Latest posts

Back