346's are now NLA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it was just way under powered to what some people on here said. I thought it lacked power in wood over 8". I guess my opinion of pulling a 16" bar buried in oak and hickory and others is different. The 555 with a muffler mod was tolerable.

THANK YOU. Someone else that was disappointed and spoke up. Now you will be shunned forever... :laugh:

I guess that is where I was disappointed too, used to running my husky 365 for years, oh wait that's another one that sucks according to the ones in the know.. funny for 15 years I thought it kicked butt, and with a bigger topend, she is still screaming today!

I guess it was just way under powered to what some people on here said. I thought it lacked power in wood over 8". I guess my opinion of pulling a 16" bar buried in oak and hickory and others is different. The 555 with a muffler mod was tolerable.

The real issue is you are used to 70-90cc saws.

For a 50cc saw, the 346 does just fine. :msp_sneaky:

The real issue is you are used to 70-90cc saws.

For a 50cc saw, the 346 does just fine. :msp_sneaky:

I had a 5105 and it pulled 3/8" a lot better buried than the 2153. I did use it more than I did the 2153. The 2153 I would look at and not pick it up or even get it out of the truck:laugh: Some days I think a ported 372 xpw isn't strong enough either so I really like 90 cc power.;)

I had a 5105 and it pulled 3/8" a lot better buried than the 2153. I did use it more than I did the 2153. The 2153 I would look at and not pick it up or even get it out of the truck:laugh: Some days I think a ported 372 xpw isn't strong enough either so I really like 90 cc power.;)

Apples to oranges, man. A 346 (OE or NE) with a 13-16" bar is great at what it was designed for. It isn't intended to be a 70-90cc saw, or to do the things that 70-90cc saws do. It isn't all about HP and bar length; depending on the work at hand, a smaller saw like that might be just the ticket for productive work. I've been doing a lot of invasive removal - buckthorn, honeysuckle, ailanthus, and grape vines - over the past year, and a small, high-RPM saw with a short bar that also revs up fast is the ticket for this work. Even something on the 5100s frame is bigger than it needs to be for this work, and this is where the 346 (and smaller 238/242) saws work great.

Apples to oranges, man. A 346 (OE or NE) with a 13-16" bar is great at what it was designed for. It isn't intended to be a 70-90cc saw, or to do the things that 70-90cc saws do. It isn't all about HP and bar length; depending on the work at hand, a smaller saw like that might be just the ticket for productive work. I've been doing a lot of invasive removal - buckthorn, honeysuckle, ailanthus, and grape vines - over the past year, and a small, high-RPM saw with a short bar that also revs up fast is the ticket for this work. Even something on the 5100s frame is bigger than it needs to be for this work, and this is where the 346 (and smaller 238/242) saws work great.

You nailed it-the right tool for the job!

I would rather use a 70 or 90cc with a 24-32" bar for everything than a small 50 cc with a 16" for small stuff.

I would rather use a 70 or 90cc with a 24-32" bar for everything than a small 50 cc with a 16" for small stuff.

I agree with most everything you say but I can't agree with that!

I here ya! I have seen some of the saws you play with! I spend a lot of my time cleaning up Manitoba Maple (box elder) that I drop in fence rows. When you are working in snarly brushy limbs, or blocking up 6-12" soft maple the 346xp is a dream. When I am consistently in hardwood over 12" out comes the 372xp. If I had more money for toys I wouldn't mind pulling out some of the 390's you have used, but cannot justify the investment for the type of use it would get. Power is addiciting though!

Tim

You nailed it-the right tool for the job!

One size does not fit all tasks.

TreestuffMedium_zps60a338e6.jpg

Cookies.jpg

Face_Cut.jpg

075_Oak.jpg

Mill.jpg

I have a 365 w/75cc top end, ported, 24" bar. It's fun, but cuttin wood in the tangle wooded hills here, a smaller, more nimble saw is what's called for.

Most of the time cleaning up blown over stuff on the farm I don't mess with any part of a tree smaller than 6". It gets pushed into a pile with the tractor. I've cut some stuff there last year that was over 60". My cousin will come get the small stuff when a nice oak falls and they leave the big parts there since they don't have a saw big enough to cut it. I have cleared some fence rows on there and I used the 066 and a 28" and a 555 with a 16". I did use the 555 after 5 trees that were shoulder high with the 066. Most were 10" or less cedars so a smaller saw was alright for them. The 33" cherry needed the 066. I do occasionally put a 20" on the 372 and go to town on smaller trees when I'm just doing one and I know it's small.

We do a fair bit of logging here, so I'm usually cuttin up oak tops for firewood, down to about 2-3", 15-20 cords a year. Lot of thinning and clearing loggin roads and little stuff too. I have been into some large blow downs lately and the 562xp is seeing a lot of use. Now if I start skidding the larger firewood logs back to the house, I might like a larger saw to buck em up. :pumpkin2:

Even in 8-10" wood I like my xpw - firewood cutting. In a more nimble atmosphere I'd want the 550. I cut wood off a pile with the FIL a couple weeks back and I didn't find a stick worth having a 50cc saw for. Knocking a tree down and cleaning it up, sure I have the need for an easier saw to toss around. But if I'm up/down/up/down etc just bucking - even smaller stuff, sure ill take a big boy.

If all I did was buck in a wood pile I'd kept the 3120. It was a blast to run with a 36" and an 8 pin. I don't mind working a tree up with a 90 cc saw myself. I know some people like to use those small saws for that part. After a couple trees you don't notice the weight any more. :cheers:

This thread has kinda got off topic bit....but really, who cares what saw the other guy likes to use anyway?

Tony

Latest posts

Back