404 10 pin on a mac 125

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macman125

libertarian/anarcho-capitalist firewood hack
Reaction score
Anyone here have any luck running a large rim on a 125? I have a 42" bar on mine with a 7 pin. I rarely come into the occasion of needing a bar that long. I would love to stick a "24"-"28" bar on it with a larger rim so I can have some fun with it. I love running this saw when I get the chance (want to increase those chances lol).shelfqueen.jpg

I have a 101 I am debating on throwing in it. I just can't justify it though. I am already deep in this saw funds wise and can't see throwing a very valuable 101 in it when I could put the 101 in an old rup or on a kart and have loads more fun. The saw is not a dog by any means, still has plenty of compression and it rips with the big bar. I am just wanting to throw a smaller bar on it and increase the chain speed. I do not see how I would have a hard time keeping a chain on it. Saws today spin several thousand more rpm. I would think that a bigger rim would compensate for this loss?

I have been doing a little more research. I have a 7 on it right now. I could get away with a 8 and retain a factory bar? Would I notice a considerable difference?

Yes, an 8 would work but I don't think you'll see a world of difference. That's a big saw, if I didn't need a big bar, I'd leave it in the truck.

Yes, an 8 would work but I don't think you'll see a world of difference. That's a big saw, if I didn't need a big bar, I'd leave it in the truck.

That is the problem, I hardly ever run into anything my homie 550 won't take care of. Every once in a while I need the 42 for something. I think it would be better suited with a 28 on it. Plus, I enjoy running it.

If you were handy you could cut a tail back some to a wider section of the bar and fit it a little better around the big sprocket. Of course, you'll have to recut the stud slot, redrill oil/adjuster holes, and reshape the grooves.

Or, leave the 101 to the long bar stuff.

Chris B.
I have access to a bridgeport. I might find a fat belly bar and tinker.

I have a 10 pin 3/8" sprocket on an SP125 with a short bar for a fun cookie cutter saw. So far I have not had any problems with the chain jumping off.

DSC03178%20(1).jpg

I do have a good selection of sprockets just for the fun of it, so far I've only run the 10 and 11 pin 3/8" but I have them up to 14 pin. I am sure that the bigger sprocket would certainly need a wider tail. I do have a harvester bar that Bill G gave me with a wide tail to accommodate the larger sprocket but it is only available with a .404 sprocket nose so I bought the 9 and 10 pin .404 sprockets.

DSCN0083.JPG

Mark

I have a 10 pin 3/8" sprocket on an SP125 with a short bar for a fun cookie cutter saw. So far I have not had any problems with the chain jumping off.

View attachment 476556

I do have a good selection of sprockets just for the fun of it, so far I've only run the 10 and 11 pin 3/8" but I have them up to 14 pin. I am sure that the bigger sprocket would certainly need a wider tail. I do have a harvester bar that Bill G gave me with a wide tail to accommodate the larger sprocket but it is only available with a .404 sprocket nose so I bought the 9 and 10 pin .404 sprockets.

View attachment 476563

Mark
So you did not modify the tail end of that bar for running that 10 pin?

If I were to go this route, which would be faster to cut with? .063 3/8 or .404? Wanna sell of of them rims? :)

My experience is that the thinner the kerf the faster it cuts, makes sense that you are removing less wood. 3/8" is faster when you are cutting cookies from cants.

It is very possible that in larger wood the fewer/larger teeth of the .404 could be faster.

I will try and remember to put up a name for the source of the sprockets tomorrow, that information is on my work computer.

Mark

My experience is that the thinner the kerf the faster it cuts, makes sense that you are removing less wood. 3/8" is faster when you are cutting cookies from cants.

It is very possible that in larger wood the fewer/larger teeth of the .404 could be faster.

I will try and remember to put up a name for the source of the sprockets tomorrow, that information is on my work computer.

Mark

If I recall right, a while back you were in search of a cp125 muffler?

I have run an 8 pin .404 on 50 & 36 inch bars
with a SDC working 101 and it did not like that at all, 7 pin performs much better. I have a BDC 101 that will pull the 8 pin 36" bar just fine. And now has a fat 28" bar with 1/2" chisel. However I haven't run that yet. Watch the raker height on working 101's as it is better to lower them than have too much chain speed for the cutters to bite.

The CP125 uses the older round muffler. I have a pretty nice one on the rebuilt saw and I think one spare NOS one still waiting for a worthy project.

DSC06826.JPG

The source for the sprockets used to be called Danzco, I think the name has changed but the phone number is still correct 360 264 2141.

Mark

Back