440/460 vs. 372--another Husky vs. Stihl ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Sorry to post another "what saw should I buy" question, but I need some pro advise. I thought I had my mind made up on a Husky 372, but I stopped at a local Stihl dealer today (mistake) and looked at the 440 and 460. He indicated that he did not stock the 440 as it is not in high demand (at least here) and most people went right to the 460. Now, I don't care what saw brand I actually buy. I plan on using it to cut firewood part time and clear some horse fields. I can get a Husky 372 delivered to my door for around $560. The 440 will be around $660 with tax and the 460 around $760 with tax. This dealer indicated that he and others (who I don't know) feel that Husky has been going downhill in the past few years. Now, aside from the fact that I own and use a Husky, I frequent this site and have read a great deal of info and debates regarding this subject. I as well as others do not seem to feel this way--in fact, some would say the opposite. I think this guy would provide good support---something that would obviously be lacking via internet sale. But, is that worth the extra $$$? Also, is the extra $100 for the 460 worth it? WHat would be the benefit of paying the extra cash for the 460?? I thought I read somewhere here that there were inherent problems with both of these saws. Thanks for the help.

Wow...those are some good prices! Have you or anyone you know ordered from that shop? I hear the 372 rips.....not to say the Stihls don't but there seems to be many of the opinion that while Husky has problems (related to the new parent company "selling out" to Lowes, etc), Stihl is having many more. However, the dealer I spoke with indicated that he heard Husky was going broke and in a desperate move, have begun to integrate some of the cheapo home owner quality into the pro saws....?????

When I got started, Stihl was the "Be All and End All" of chainsaws. I have since learned that this is not the case. I have sold most of the Stihls and now have a variety of different saws. Dolmar, Echo, Solo & Husky just to name a few. I probably wouldn't buy a new Stihl just because of the problems that they have been having, carbs and oilers come to mind first. Isn't this where Mike comes in with his Stihl defence? :rolleyes: Also they are just too expensive when compared to Huskies. I really like the 372 and would buy it over the 440 or 460.

One important thing to remember, you get out what you put in. If a good saw is not well maintained then it doesn't matter what you buy. Good luck.

thanks...I appreciate your advice. I agree with you that maintenance is key.....but from what I gather there are certain quirks associated with some saws that aren't problems with others. I believe in doing my homework, gathering most of my info from the knowledgeable people on this site who work with and on the saws. I am careful to objectively read all posts to weed out biases, and use a kind of "majority rules" method for helping in making a decision....I should have kept driving by the Stihl dealer right to my computer so I can order a 372!! I guess the moral is to never second guess myself ;) ....but to be fair, I believe in exploring all the options. I like the fell of the Stihls...I don't know if I like it any better than the feel of a Husky, but I have nothing against them. I have read numerous ill-reports on their oilers and gas caps....not serious but not something I would expect if I spend $700 on a saw. Although I hear that Stihl has real good customer support. I don' t know....I'll just wait to see what kind of response I get with this post. THanks again.

Your not going to make a mistake with either. Your dealers prices on Stihls is about $60 more than what I can get them for with a 24" bar and RS chain.
If I where you I would go with the 372 from Bills. $486 is dirt cheap.

Yep, Bill's is very reliable. I bought a 346 from them, through an ebay auction. I paid $325, asked for a longer bar and to be charged more,which he sent- for the same price!

That is the best price ever for one of the best saws ever. I have run 2 044's and 2 372's. The 372 is the better unit, no doubt in my mind. With the current Stihl's extremely restrictive muffler ports, I'd bet the 372 will outcut one of today's 046's.

Regardless of what saw you get, open the mufflers for cooler running, pwr head longevity, and 15-20% pwr gains, maybe more with the Stihl's, which can be enlarged by at least 4 times the port area.

Have to agree, The 372 is the way to go. I have owned both saws and now all I own is Husky. I have a PP372 and wow what a saw.
Hunter

I have several Stihl products and like them.Most of them are homeowner and mid range quality except for a 026.The saws are very capable of handling a 16" bar and in my opinion offer some valu for the cost.

If you're doing your homework check out the Stihl and Husky sites.
The Stihl mid range and pro saws(except 088)all have about the same oiler tank volume around .7 pt.The difference in the mid range and pro saws,other then power, is that Stihl says you can put larger bars on the pro saws.The pro saws have the power but not enough bar lube,in my opinion,to handle longer bar applications.I call the Stihl pro saws with longer bar applications bar burners.

Stihl did finally come out with a oiler for the 066 that will increase oil flow.In my opinion MS660 owners should have the stock oilers replaced for free.One of the finest powerheads in the industry handicapped with a sub par oiler for the longer bar applications Stihl says it's capable of handling.In my opinion because of cost a pro saw sould be capable of oiling longer bars without excessive wear.

Take a walk with the 372.It's versatile,the oiler can be adjusted for longer bars without excessive wear or dry dead wood cuts.

Rick

im a stihl believer also.. older stihls.
but the 372 ranks as a saw equeal to the 028-026 in my opinion as to quality..
for that mony jump on it.. notice i put the 026 in the same class as the 028..
its proven its self to me..got to admit i cant put it thru what i use to put my 028 thru but ive seen enough to know its as good a saw as i am a sawman..mabe better:eek: :)

Personally, I put the 372 and the 046 in the the same arena.
Hunter

Originally posted by Hunter
Personally, I put the 372 and the 046 in the the same arena.
Hunter

Yes, but the 046 weighs over a pound more and costs over $100 more.

Maybe in that small wood you're used to dog both saws into 28" and over and the 046 has the 372 beat by a visible margin, way more torque, remember a 046 is a short stroke 066.

rbtree,
You are right on. I like the Husqvarna over the 046. Since I sent mine(372) to Dozerdan to be power ported, this saw has really increased on the power.
Hunter

wiley,

Errr, I knew that, and almost (should have) posted that the 046 has gobs of torque. Especially if the muffler is opened, at least back to the size port it used to be.

I normally do all of my cutting with a 346xp and a 350. Both top quality in my opinion. I was fortunate enough to also get to run a 372 for a couple weeks that belonged to a friend. Not unlike my own huskies, extremely SMOOTH for this size of saw. And just a pleasure to use. Tons of power as well of course. I was very impressed. I can't imagine a better saw out there. .(im sure there are but you get my point). My vote is for the 372. Also for some reason, when my other tree cutting friends and I talk about saws, seems like the stihl users are constantly complaining about their chains being too dry.Seems to be common. Whereas the huskies do not seem to have that problem. Good luck!!

Oh and also for the record, and some may not agree, but in my experience, regardless of where you bought your saw, (and that includes Lowes), Husqvarna does not make a "homeowner" quality saw. Every saw that I have ever used that had Husqvarna stamped on it was professional quality in every way. That is an opinion of course, so don't bash me :D
I can't wait to try all of the other top saw manufacturers, like Dolmar, Echo, Jonsered, etc. All top notch from what I have heard.
-Brad

I have never experianced the "dry chain" problem with any of my stihls. I run a 24'' on my 460 and leave the oiler on the middle setting and have no problems.

Back