440/460 vs. 372--another Husky vs. Stihl ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by wiley_p
Maybe in that small wood you're used to dog both saws into 28" and over and the 046 has the 372 beat by a visible margin, way more torque, remember a 046 is a short stroke 066.

Steve, is that big wood hard or soft? I haven`t seen a big enough difference between the 372 and 046 in hardwood less than 40" to justify the added weight or expense of the 046. ehp is going to build me a 460 Mag if I ever get to the post office with it, maybe that will change my opinion of the model.

Wolfman,

The 460 outsells the 440, but the 440 is a nicer saw to run in my opinion. Too many guys go for the extra size to compensate for something. There isn`t much that the 440 or the 372 can`t handle with a sharp chain. I think that you will really notice the added weight of the 460 at the end of the day, especially if you are doing stuff like clearing pastures. My personal choice is the 372 but I`d be very happy with a 440. Pick your favorite color.

Russ

I have used the 372 Husky with a 28" bar with a full skip chain bucking firewood the saw didn't have the same power as my 046 Mag with a 28" bar and full skip. When I leaned on the 372 she bogged pretty easy I had to keep the chain sharp and not lean into it. The 046 does have more grunt but you expect that because it is a larger saw.

I have used a 044 with a 28" bar it would be the same as a 372 I did like the 44 it is a lighter saw if I wasn't cutting larger wood and I only owned one saw the 44 would be it.

The 046 is a good saw it bucks the wood I encounter which is up to 48"s I kinda wish I had a longer bar at times the 28" is a bit short.

Originally posted by Pacific
I have used the 372 Husky with a 28" bar with a full skip chain bucking firewood the saw didn't have the same power as my 046 Mag with a 28" bar and full skip. When I leaned on the 372 she bogged pretty easy I had to keep the chain sharp and not lean into it. The 046 does have more grunt but you expect that because it is a larger saw.

I have used a 044 with a 28" bar it would be the same as a 372 I did like the 44 it is a lighter saw if I wasn't cutting larger wood and I only owned one saw the 44 would be it.

The 046 is a good saw it bucks the wood I encounter which is up to 48"s I kinda wish I had a longer bar at times the 28" is a bit short.

So does this mean that Stihl is the only saw to buy?:confused:

Yes, in the falling/bucking catagory I think so. But if the rest of their new saws go the way of the MS361 then I may rethink my whole program.

Harumpf..

There's a boatload of 372/385 operators who seem mighty content.

And soon one more PP7900 happy customer!

Too each their own guys, I think that we are all dancing around the same basic opinions with slightly different perspectives. All I said about the 460 vs the 372 is that I didn`t see enough difference to warrant using a 460 regularly for the size wood that I see. The fact of the matter is that tuned, ported, modded, whatever you want to call them, 346s, 260s, 357s, and 372s are all that I need. The lighter the better. I`ll be having one of those 7900s myself.

Russ

whoa.....so much fighting:p Although I should have known the response such a post would create. Not to get off the subject (which is easy to do), those Dolmars seem pretty nice. I am just a little leary of buying one as I don't think there are any dealers here in RI. I emailed DD a while back for prices...they are quite a bit more than stihl and husky. But from what I gather from reading info posted here by folks they are supposed to be pretty good--minus some problem with oiler hose or something). I noticed that many people here are buying them.....why? To avoid the inherent debates associated with stihl and husky? OR are they really something to look at?

Hi Wolfman,

It does sound like the oiler issue is something that could stand improvement but so far I`ve only heard of one problem. I honestly and frankly will tell you that I find the rest of the Dolmar line lackluster but the 7900 is something to behold. Don`t get me wrong, the quality is there in the other models but they lack the balls out performance of the 7900. Buy one from a reputable guy like Dan and you may have some inconvenience IF it ever had to go back to him, but I`m sure that you wouldn`t have any issues with the way that he treated you.

Russ

Just had a fellow come in with a near new 460, it would not oil adequately. I suggested he take it back to the Stihl dealer he bought it from. I know he bought it from a farm store that does not have a saw mechanic; his loss. To get good service he will probably have to go the high priced Stihl dealer that he didn't want to go to in the first place.

He wanted to trade the 460 in on a 2171, but I did not want to be stuck with a like new 460 to try to get my money back out of. I think it would have had to be priced at $350 or less to move at my place, and he had just paid six something for it.

I also lean toward the E-lux saw because it is a little lighter, runs smoother, results in a nicer handling saw.

Have they changed the oilers on these Stihl saws? I don't recall hearing any 044s or 046s that didn't oil enough.

This guy had the bar type with the very small angling oil hole, but according to Oregon, that is supposed to be better.

Boy, to hear you guys talk you'd think the Stihl line of saws is total junk.
I have run about every size stihl and never, in 20 years had an issue with oiling. The 046 with a 25" bar will oil just fine at the lowest setting.
If your stihl isn't oiling, fix it. An oil system in a chainsaw is about as simple as it gets. In fact, the only oil system I know of that can't be simply fixed is on the HUSKY top handled saws.

The stihl costs a bit more true, but you guys don't have any problem spending $300 extra dollars on a husky getting it PPed, just so it cuts with an 046.
The 7900 is over a thousand dolars once it's PPed, now we're talking more than a new 066.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
The stihl costs a bit more true, but you guys don't have any problem spending $300 extra dollars on a husky getting it PPed, just so it cuts with an 046.
The 7900 is over a thousand dolars once it's PPed, now we're talking more than a new 066.

Danny's work doesn't cost over $300 and a PP'd 7900 can be had for cheaper than the price you quoted.

Plus, when it comes to modded saws vs. stock saws its apples and oranges.

I know that I am a big Dan Henry advocate. But why shouldn't I be, he does great work and his saws run like they are possessed.

rbtree
I finished up your PP7900 last night. I will hit the wood pile with it today. I fired it up late last nigh, just to piss off one of my neighbors, that complains about the noise that I make. This may very well be one of the world fastest 7900s. I will let you decide that one.
Isn't it great that people know my prices without contacting me.
Later
Dan

YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Dan you are THE Man!

Mike and his poor old white saws will be runnin' and hidin'

The Husky climb saw oiler problem was solved long ago...as well, even those old first generation oilers worked after my shop guy went at them.

I guess that Stihl doesn't have any problems with their oiling systems. How do you go about telling your customer that they need a new polymer case for their saw, because the case melted and the oil pump is falling out.
Later
Dan

The specs onthe 7900 and 460 are very similar, but that doesn't tell you much, having not run a 7900 I can say no more on the subject.
In all my use of Stihl saws, I never had a nagging issue, other than the fuel caps, and that's an easy fix. They run long and strong.
Here's one about 9 years old, used hard all week long, every week. The only parts it has needed in those years are pull cords, fuel caps, rims, bars and chains (fuel and oil too).

If we are talking the 7900 comapred to the 046, then its not even a comparison. The 7900 will cut close to an 066 stock. The 7900 is a really strong saw and weights alot less than the bigger comparable saws.
Hunter

So for power to weight ratio the 046 has the best numbers I thought the 372 felt lighter than my 46 but from what Mike posted its not much lighter.

Yes, the Dolmar 7900 does weigh less than the 460, makes more power and will cut circles around it. It also cost me about $150 less.
FWIW I would put my old ms 440 with dual port muffler against a stock 460 anyday.

Latest posts

Back