440/460 vs. 372--another Husky vs. Stihl ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seems to be alot of stuff about oiling the bar here so your saw will only oil so much and you need more or maybe you just need a better grade of oil that works better , just a thought

440/460 vs. 372

Cut to the chase and enough with the bs, cut a check for the Dolmar7900. Whether you get it PP'ed or not, it is the saw to buy. I did. I got mine PP'ed right off the bat. There are plenty of saw builders here if you change your mind later and want more juice. This saw will impress you, as is, or tweaked ever so little 7%- 12% with a muffler mod or even more so with power porting 20%-35%+. If you are budget conscience, go with the 372xp, great price at Bill's, or the 440/460 at the Stihl dealer. They are all good saws but the Dolmar will stand up and cut, that's why I bought it. Don't be confused by all the chatter here, go get the saw and the one year warranty. Try it, You'll like.

On the husky /stihl battle , first i donot break much parts but i do get all i can out of my motor and i am turning more rpm's than the saws were made to turn , i never had a problem with either 371 or 046's and 044's and i would say the 046 turned the highest rpm's
the first 044's that were made were fast but the crank would break but stihl fixed that

now i have not ran a 7900 for a year or so to know if it is as good as the others forsure but i know the little i have ran them it is faster than either and has not let me to believe that it would not be the better saw of the bunch

I have a 371XP which is the older saw then the new 372. I have had it for a few years. I bought it on ebay in March or April when most of the seasonal wood cutters are done until fall. I WAS VERY LEARY ABOUT BUYING THIS USED SAW. I heard too many bad deals on used saws. This guy had it posted $280 with a 20" bar and no bid on it and I didn't want to send him a check and not get any thing. So I told him $280 COD and he went for it. I trurns out to be he is from MO and himself and Dad have a Sthil/Husky on the side and they take in old saws from the loggers and Totaly rebuild the saw.... I REALLY LUCKED OUT ON THIS SAW.... This 371xp has alot of power it does get a little heavy at 13 lbs for the power head at the end of the day.... I keep saying it's the best $280 I have ever spent.....

Mark

I like both husky and stihl saws. My boss has a 346 and a 372 xp. I have a 260 pro and an 066. The 066 was bought used and I don't know how old it is but it's been used alot. Runs so good. The 372 my boss had wont hang with it but is still a good saw. My 260 will outrun the 346 he has. I don't like that saw, have to choke it everytime you start it even if you just cut it off. It's junk, prolly hasnt been kept up maintenence-wise is why I'd say. I guess I'm trying to say that they're all good saws and worht thier money. I just like the low end grunt of the big stihl. That husky can't be forced into the wood like the 066. I know it's bigger but I've also ran a 440 that a friend of mine has quite a bit and it seems about close to the 372 but I still think the 440 cuts better when forced into the wood. HP ratings are one thing, but torque is where it's at IMO. That and long life, which both companies pro models seem to have.

I don't buy the crap about stihls oilers being insufficient either. I have ran a 32" bar on my 066 all day long many days in red oak and locust up to 48+ inches sometimes and it's always oiled. So thats never been a problem with this saw. I'm not brand loyal, JMO. I have been thinking about buying a big husky. I like both alot. Would like to try a Dolmar but havent had the opportunity. I have to say both companies homeowner models have proven to be crap to me. Buy pro or go home IMO.

This thread was over 6 years old and I was dumb enough to read it all before the penny dropped :( I was wondering why some of the guys here were unfamiliar to me, or have been banned :)

Also wondering why Dolmar 7900's sounded like the new kid on the block...

Last edited:
Its am old one, But a good one.
Some of the Banned users were very knowledgable.
Hunter

You know its old when saw troll didnt get to put in his opinion.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

i have had several 372xp's over the years. there good saws.

i have had several 046s and a bunch of 044/ms440s as well.

running brand new and stock i didn't see any huge jump in power between one or the other.

you should include the dolmar 7900 series. i haven't had one but they are on my buy list. and my buy chainsaw list is pretty damn short.

just get the one you like and find the best deal on. any should provide years of hard service in the logging industry.:chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back