441 or 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, yeah, the 441 is a little heavier, particularly with the 25" bar. My former go-to saw was the 036, same wt/pwr as the 361. When I take the 20" off it and put it on the 441, the difference is like a couple pounds, max. I have to carry my stuff some distance from the truck when cutting, so every pound makes a difference to me. But I like the 441 so much I'm finding excuses to use it most of the time. I like the 25" bar, but when I don't really need it, the 20" makes that 441 only slightly heavier than the 036. By the time I'd run a half doz. tanks of fuel thru the new saw, I didn't want to put it down for another saw most of the time.

2 1/2 lbs + the extra fuel and oil (if filled up), but better balance with the 20" bar may help a bit......;)

I just recently ran my 441 with a 28" bar buried in a +/- 40" dbh oak. I was really surprised at how well it handled it, not quite as much power as my 660 but it wasn't bad at all. Go for the 441 they are great saws! It will be a good compliment to your 361.

Steve

Never ran a 441 but I have a 460....regretted buying it at first but now I run it more than my 361! LOVE that saw!!!

I don't mean to be the type to say I have run them both and I would not buy a 460 .......... but I have run them both and I would not buy the 460, LOL.

The 441 is a better saw. If you have them both you will used the 441 more. It is just a much nicer saw.

That is my opinion. Now if someone gave me a 460, I wouldn't throw it away, but I won't be going out to buy one either, they just are not as good a saw to operate.

That doesn't make the 460 a bad saw, its just the 441 is a great saw. Just about the only people that don't like it are ones that haven't tried one.

My local dealer says none have ever come back and everyone loves them.

I run mine with a 28" bar all the time, that is what it wears 25" and 20" are quite at home on it as well.

Sam

They both have their strong and weak points. You really need to run each to make your decision. Find a gtg near you. They both have similar power, though I would give the low end grunt to the 441. It pulls a 28" bar just fine. The mpg's are good too. Other than that, go run them and make you decision.

I thought about waiting out the first generation of strato saws from Stihl, but then realized they have been out for two years already, plus pre-production testing, and there is only one or two technical bulletins on them for very minor things. If there was a major flaw, it would be known by now.

I am very glad I bought the 441. It'll run with the 460 with the 20" and 24" bars, and it sounds like they perform well with a 28" bar. IMO, they hold their torque better in the cut than the non-strato (stock!) saws. I don't really notice the difference in weight over the 361, but I don't hike long distances with it or carry it all day. I am a big fan of the AV, as it is one smooth running saw. The centrifugal air system, while maybe not absolutely essential, really works and keeps the filter clean. The strato design is very powerful, and I am amazed how much more efficient it is. I go longer between fills with my 441 than I did with my 270. Of course the tank is a bit bigger, but it is also 20cc more saw. I think you can tell a difference in exhaust fumes too. When I fire up my 180 you can definitely tell you are running a 2 cycle. With the 441, its not as noticeable. Important selling point? Maybe, maybe not.

That said, you already own a 361. It's a good saw. If you get the 441, then your 361 is gonna be reserved for your buddy when he comes out to help you cut firewood. You'll grab the 441 every time, I have no doubt. A 660 may be a better choice for you if just want a big saw, especially if you inevitably see yourself continuing to progress to a bigger and bigger saw.

Then again, you can just trade the 361 in on the 441 and worry about the big big saw later. GL! :chainsawguy:

After reviewing and looking at all three models as well as talking to my dealer, I purchased the 460 over the 441 and 440. This was over two years ago, maybe 3. The weight is the same as the 441, but you get an extra 10% (approx) power for only $30 more than the 441.

I guess bottom line I didn't want the 441 with its EPA restrictions.

I went with the 25 inch bar. Dealer says the 25 inch bar is really the same as the old 24 inch bar. In fact it takes the same number of links as the 24 incher.

For 30 bucks, go 460. Way more tried and true. Lots of people like the 441, and lots of people don't. I don't have a bit of problem with the av on mine. Its a saw, and it doesn't kill my hands, so i couldn't ask for more. I was talkin to some electric company crews today, and they have 440s and 441s, and they leave the 441 on the truck. Said they bought 3 and two went back the first couple of days for some kind of carb problem??? I dunno? But he said the 3rd hasd been good, but they all like the old school stuff better. I wouldn't worry about parts. I mean heck, look at the 028 and 038, been around a long time and no parts problems. Im ready for a break when the 460 runs outta fuel anyway.

I was thinking of getting a 460, but then the 441 has been growing on me and I've read some good things about it. Also, it seems to me the 441 would be a better choice for a saw that I'll keep for a long time (being that it's new technology)? Or is it better to get the old tried and true before it's no longer available??
Prices at my dealer are very close ($30 more for the 460).

460. Good saw...

Imodded the muffler on my 441 and it made a noticable difference. I love this saw and I would buy another over a 460 anyday. Just my opinion though. They say opinions are like a$$hole$~everyone has one.(LOL):rock:

I am going to have to find a way to try a 441, 'cause if it's better than a 460, it must be incredible.
I'm still at the point where I think my 460 is "magic"

I've ran all the saws listed, and I must say the 441 is an impressive saw. I think it runs very close to the 460 and 7900. If you want one, just buy it and don't look back, it's a good saw. I'll also add the 575 that I ran was a good saw as well.

I'm afraid of that happening to me. I just bought a 361 because I wanted a new saw with a little more power, but not too much weight (my go too saw before was the 026, also my newest saw). Now I'm wanting to buy another new saw (because of AS), but I don't want to go away from the 361 as my go to saw.... The 441/460/461 would be more weight than I would want to carry normally, but I want one!..
The 441 is a cool looking saw!:bang:

Sell the 361 and get a 441 with a 20" and maybe a 28" bar if you see the need for a larger bar. I promise you wont miss the overpriced 361 one bit, I like the 361 just dont think the price is fitting for what it is power wise.

For 30 bucks, go 460. Way more tried and true. Lots of people like the 441, and lots of people don't. I don't have a bit of problem with the av on mine. Its a saw, and it doesn't kill my hands, so i couldn't ask for more. I was talkin to some electric company crews today, and they have 440s and 441s, and they leave the 441 on the truck. Said they bought 3 and two went back the first couple of days for some kind of carb problem??? I dunno? But he said the 3rd hasd been good, but they all like the old school stuff better. I wouldn't worry about parts. I mean heck, look at the 028 and 038, been around a long time and no parts problems. Im ready for a break when the 460 runs outta fuel anyway.

I have to respctfully and completely disagree with that statement on AV. The only saw I have now that doesn't have new av technology is my new 660. To tell you the truth I love the saw but I don't run it until absoloutely necessary due to the vibes, not the weight. I owned a 460 and now a 441 and there is no comparisson, I can run a 441 all day versus the 460 by lunch. Not much difference in power and no issues whatsoever with it and none from the guys I know that run them either, great saw and if the 461 or 661 is similar my 660 will be gone in a flash. I also think people are forgetting that the 441 has been around a few years now and it has passed the reliability test.

Ok, I think I've settled on getting a 441 with a 28. I called my dealer this morning and he quoted me $798.99. That's $50 cheaper than the dealer near my work.

Only problem is the 28 bars he has are the green, smaller nose type. I was shooting for the yellow. He can have the yellow 28 in a few days... I really don't want to wait. How much difference will I really notice between the green and yellows?...

Another option would be to go back down to the 25. He has that in yellow...

The only reservation I have at this point is the torque. I've read that some feel it has more torque than the 460 and others say less. Some say you have to be very light with it in the cut. I won't be happy if that's the case. I want to be able to put moderate pressure on a 28 in hard wood. Sure wish I could try the saw before I buy.
Any reassuring words??

I am going to have to find a way to try a 441, 'cause if it's better than a 460, it must be incredible.
I'm still at the point where I think my 460 is "magic"

:agree2: +1

I'm running a 25 on the 460 (unmodified). And I guess it depends on your definition of "light" and "moderate". When I have it buried in hardwood I have no trouble with moderate pressure on it. Of course, my partner in crime benches close to 300lbs and he bogs it down with his version of "light". I think if you want to run a 28" bar in hardwood you might think about going to the 660.

'Course, I'm thinking awful hard about having mine Snellerized to be even more magic. :cheers:

Never run a 28" green b&c, but I have gone away from anything green label from Stihl and an have never looked back. The yellow is their pro stuff, and IMO worth the wait to get. You'll be plenty happy with the 24", and I would get that for regular use over the 28". Get a 28" later and reserve it for occasional use.

Never run a 28" green b&c, but I have gone away from anything green label from Stihl and an have never looked back. The yellow is their pro stuff, and IMO worth the wait to get. You'll be plenty happy with the 24", and I would get that for regular use over the 28". Get a 28" later and reserve it for occasional use.

And yes, stay away from green.... My plan was to get the 25 yellow they had in stock and get a longer bar later when I needed it. Still happily running the 25 though.

Just read your signature. You have a 361 w/ 18" bar, so you will be happy with a 441 w/ 25" - its a nice progression. Save the 28" for occasional with the 441 or slap it on the 660 when you get around to buying one :)

Latest posts

Back