Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple hr. ago, I was back at the dealer that sold me the 441 earlier this month. Thinking about this thread on the forum, I asked the guy there if they sold many 441s, and he offered to look it up in their records. I declined, not enough of a big deal, but he said there were "tons" he'd sold. Whatever. Anyhow, I asked if he'd had any unhappy purchasers and if the altitude seemed to be a problem [the shop is at 5600 ft., but many of us use 'em much higher, like me at 8500 to 9000]. He claims he's had no returns, no complaints, "they all really like them, the guys who come in for chains, etc." So, I don't know. I am too new with mine to give much of a reply other than the altitude is zero issue for me and the saw is great. I use it along with my 036, couldn't ask for two nicer saws.

Deerehunter, full wrap handle extends around the "right" side of the saw as well as the "left" which is how most saws are sold. You get more options of how to comfortably and safely run the saw from either side, for example in felling the tree and having to go to the other side of the tree to complete a cut. Once you see a photo of a full-wrap you'll see immediately what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Im ignorant, please educate me on what you guys are talking about with the wrap handles

As a rule a half wrap handle does not protrude much or at all on the right side of the saw. Some saws like the MS260 have a little bend to the handle that is just enough to grab onto when you are using the saw with the powerhead down.

A 3/4 wrap handle is what Stihl calls their full wrap. A loop of handle protrudes over the clutch cover allowing a good grip.

A full wrap goes completely around the saw providing a safe grip under any condition of saw tilt. It also has a very large opening for chips. This is my choice on large saws. Wrap handles are all aftermarket for Stihl saws. I don't know about the rest.

The 3/4 and full wrap handles really pay for themselves when working steep ground. Someone mentioned they are required in Canada, don't know for sure. Some sawyers want to cut stumps flush with the ground and prefer a half wrap for that reason. It is up to the user to decide what is important to him.

Last edited:
As you can see from my sig, I also run a 575 and have had it 18 months.

The 575 has a bit more tourq with the 28" bar, however it seems to cut a bit slower at low revs compared to the 441.

In the hand the 575 feels a bit awkward and isn't the nicest saw to use all day, Vibes and fuel usage are similar to the 441. Most of My work is felling and Logging up large standing or windblown beach and oak, normally around 36ish inches plus.

Day to day use the 441 is a saw you can use happily all day, IMO more comparable to a 372 than the 575. 575 is similar to the big husqys of old, heavy and loads of tourq, a nice felling saw but a poor day to day saw only difference is the vibes are lower!!!! Ive never tried it but I suspect the 575 would be ok with a longer bar than the 28" I run.

not really.

All Stihls oil great!! Just think, with the amount of money you’ll save on bar oil a year running a 441, you can buy another saw!!

have to use that money on replacement bars from lack of oil.they don't oil great at all! Stihl rep even admitted it to me.nice try though.guys here that use Stihl have all been upgrading the oiler.

kept it for a couple weeks because for one week we used it as much as we could stand.it usually was set down quikly and replaced with the 372 for the rest of the day.

second week it sat on the shelf while it auction took place on ebay.i shipped it to Idaho and i hope it stays there.

all my saws are extremely well maintained.

Here we go, right on the money. It's really surprising how many people bash a saw that they've never owned, never run, and never done maintenance on.

ask oldirty about the condition of the 371xp i sold him.

ms440 and ms460 are much nicer saws in my opinion.i will admit,i could have gotten a lemon.my buddy got an ms660 lemon.it happens,no matter who the MFG is. just part of life and the manufacturing process.

I am close to sea level, so I wouldn't really mind a 441 or 576xp - but there are several other saws I would rather have in the 70cc (+) class, because of the weight and bulk.

It will be interesting if the 461 turns out to be basically the same saw, with more cc..........

Last edited:
Here we go, right on the money. It's really surprising how many people bash a saw that they've never owned, never run, and never done maintenance on.

Don't shoot me - I just said the 576xp is an improvement over the 575xp......

I bet not........

Surely I haven't - see comment above + post 49.........:buttkick:

Last edited:
Not the saws,,in the bar...

have to use that money on replacement bars from lack of oil.they don't oil great at all! Stihl rep even admitted it to me.nice try though.guys here that use Stihl have all been upgrading the oiler.

kept it for a couple weeks because for one week we used it as much as we could stand.it usually was set down quikly and replaced with the 372 for the rest of the day.

second week it sat on the shelf while it auction took place on ebay.i shipped it to Idaho and i hope it stays there.

My 440 wasnt oiling worth a crap till I got on here one day and someone had a post about drilling the oil port on the bar a bigger size...Worked great,,no more bar oiling issues for me...Worked so good I did the 18 inch bar on my 260pro the same and had to cut back on the adjustable oiler...
Just wanted to share that with some who have bar oil troubles... :)

lol... it's still dark up in troll land...

If Husky didn't make the 576 better then the 575.. they should be shot... not Troll:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back