50:1 v 32:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as for oil:
I know a guy who guesses 3 to 4 oz/gallon by the clear strip in the side of a quart bottle, and swears that's good enough.

Maybe it is: he seems to get by.

It is amazing what machines can handle. I have seen Amish guys just abuse the ever living crap out of Stihls and they just won't die no matter what horrible things were done or not done to them, yet .... The next guy is worrying about getting synthetic bar oil, soaking chains, cleaning chains and whether a saw will last better on 50:1 or 42:1 or 36:1.

To each his own,

Sam

in all honesty...since this is a thread where souls are being laid bare:

i just figgered out that i'm not mixing what i thought i was, ratio-wise.

i was taking a 100:1 mix for 50--then cutting it down to "40" which resulted in about 77:1 ! whoops.

saws are happy, i'm fine. stay tuned for more _smoke_ soon as i re-mix and re-twiddle the knobs.

hey, and this is just between us.

i was taking a 100:1 mix for 50--then cutting it down to "40" which resulted in about 77:1 ! whoops.

saws are happy, i'm fine. stay tuned for more _smoke_ soon as i re-mix and re-twiddle the knobs.

LOL, well your Dolmar 7900 is probably junk now. I'll pm you my address for shipping.

Sam

OilMixingRatioChart.jpg

you had less oil then more like you were thinking. i think

Hey, there is a group of Amish loggers that swear by Wal-mart outboard 2 stroke oil. They convinced me to use it for around a year, all through a hot summer and never did I have a problem.

I told my saw builder this AFTER he looked at the insides and stated they look "brand new", and he about messed his pants and now has me on Synthetic, LOL.

He and I had the proof in our hands that the WalMart Outboard 2 Stroke oil worked just fine, but NNOOOOOOO we can't use that, it will blow the engines up, LOL.

Such is life,

Sam

Won't tell a soul. I know a guy (no name) who ran a 066 hard for a solid week on premix made out of 30 wt. and some old gas he'd drained out of the pony motor on a water truck. The road to town had washed out and there wasn't any other choice. The saw smoked like a bastard and went through a few plugs but we got some wood on the ground. That was five or six years ago and that saw is still running today. I don't recommend the practise but it shows what you can get by with. Sometimes.

Hey, there is a group of Amish loggers that swear by Wal-mart outboard 2 stroke oil. They convinced me to use it for around a year, all through a hot summer and never did I have a problem.

I told my saw builder this AFTER he looked at the insides and stated they look "brand new", and he about messed his pants and now has me on Synthetic, LOL.

He and I had the proof in our hands that the WalMart Outboard 2 Stroke oil worked just fine, but NNOOOOOOO we can't use that, it will blow the engines up, LOL.

Such is life,

Sam

Oil is oil. I ran the cheapest 50:1 mix forever and my saws look nice inside, with a $1200 saw ill run the ultra.

Won't tell a soul. I know a guy (no name) who ran a 066 hard for a solid week on premix made out of 30 wt. and some old gas he'd drained out of the pony motor on a water truck. The road to town had washed out and there wasn't any other choice. That was five or six years ago and that saw is still running today. I don't recommend the practise but it shows what you can get by with. Sometimes.

Iv said it before, a well maintain and tuned saw can take a lot more then a beater. Proper maintenance and tunign widens that fine line between happy and failure. That's my simple explanation form what I have seen.

YOu guys are crazy I wasent drinking last night...

:givebeer:

Possibly that is not the correct response. Maybe it would look better of you to have been drinking or at least say that you were. Then you can blame the alcohol.

Just a thought,

Sam

Yep, alot of 2 stoke diesels out there, and some BIG mothers at that, normally super charged and turbo charged as well.

Diesel is different from 2 stoke oil. Some guys are adding 2 stoke oil to their diesel to aid the injector pumps etc. And then you here the claim of filling a fuel tank with old engine oil to get them home......not something id do in a modern diesel that delivers fuel at 20,000psi!

I wont be running my saws on straight gas or straight oil.......only straight mix :greenchainsaw:

A lot of the newer diesels are running injector pressure up to nearly 30,000. Cummins' runs 26,000 in the newer 6.6 liters. (i cant remember but i know its not the 6.7 i dont know jack about them.)

Anybody using Pennzoil Outdoor Oil?
The airplane guys seem to like it.
It showed good it tests, not a lot of deposits.

Anybody using Pennzoil Outdoor Oil?
The airplane guys seem to like it.
It showed good it tests, not a lot of deposits.

its PENNZOIL man. i know guys that wont run that stuff in a waste oil heater.

Dude, about all I can do is back it up.

Im 22 years old & i have devoted the last 7 years of my life to the wood buisness,

I can comfortably say that I can school everyone in this site acept for guys like Tarzanstree, burvol, Bushler, Gologit, & maybe a few others.

As for the mentioned names, chances are that I can match the skill level & then some, but practice makes perfact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. or atleast thats what our trap shootin coach told us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back