543XP's have shipped!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, the new kid on the block is here. Going to do a pic review first, then going to fire one up and play with it.

This is how the saw is supplied. Decent sized dog, but not installed. Mostly useless screwdriver, as the splined tool is what's needed. I can use the screwdriver on my 242 though. Red Max guys will recognize the emissions tag. :)

f8Aes62.jpg

Sitting next to a 242. This is my older 1991, and stock unit. The 543 actually seems a wee bit lighter.

wAIwi1Q.jpg

Split throat carb. Air filter is held on with the top cover screw. Is a good fit and has some good material on the top of the holder. This idea didn't exactly work so good on the Jonsered 920, so I'm probably cautious of it for that reason, but it looks much better thought out here on the 543.

Pg0edrb.jpg

Removing the top cover is kind of on the fussy side. Need to remove a couple items, and taking the starter off would be a good idea as well. After that, everything is real easy to get at.

aNujFBm.jpg

With the starter off. It's a spring assist starter, which I didn't know was going to be there. Perhaps because there is no deco on the saw.

KikBMRE.jpg

With the dog installed. Nice clutch with plenty of contact area.

7i1Ru1a.jpg

Muffler is held on with studs, like a 395. Some of you guys are already thinking of grinding in that exhaust port, right? Sorry about the muff pic being a little fuzzy, but you can see what they give you out of the box. There's baffles inside, so some work will be necessary to open it up.

LYClHS2.jpg
I'd like to see a better shot into that exhaust port - maybe it's just the picture but it looks like something unusual in terms of the shape.

It's got the same centrifugal air filtration system used on the GZ4000/GZ400/Ryobi 10532, but it was blocked off there (I bet for patent reasons):
IMG_5907-800.jpg
It looks to use the same air filter as a G3800 (and my Earthquake).

Well, the little sucker runs pretty dang good. Easily kept up with the 242 and seemed to be besting it after 15-20 minutes. Now, this is not my best 242, and I'm not so sure it was adjusted right, so there's a rematch coming. Maybe I'll go home and get my slightly modded one and spank that new thing. LOL But first impressions are better than I expected. Definitely runs very smooth, which was another surprise considering it doesn't have spring mounts. The spring assist starter is nice; easy tug and it's running.

What exactly are/are in the black plugged areas above and below the fuel caps? I get that it has something to do with the AV? Are they just like rubber iso points that run through the case?

Latest posts

Back