550XP's shipping this week!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounding like everyone likes the 550. The 346 will be forgotten by next week.:beer:

For me, a died in the wool Stihl guy, the 261 just didn't stack up. For one I think it is somewhat plain looking, a lot having to do with the shared parts from lesser models. The weight is a non-plus, and the feature set is lacking. Stihl knows how to build great saws, but to me the 261 should weigh less than an 026, not more. I think Husqvarna knocked it out of the park with the 550XP.

Yeah, I have a friend who is an absolute Stihlhead and even he admitted he liked my 346 better than his 261.

Husky knows their new saws can command the same prices as their Stihl counterparts while outperforming them, no need to be priced less after all lol.

Yup. Equivalent pricing with Stihl would be a welcome change...

I snagged a bunch of 346's, thinkin of stowing one away for a rainy day in the future :D

550's are looking to be $560ish and up for list prices. Husky knows their new saws can command the same prices as their Stihl counterparts while outperforming them, no need to be priced less after all lol.

The 346 and 550 cost a lot more than the 261 here - and they surely are worth it! :msp_biggrin:

There is no price difference between the 346 and the 550 though. :msp_smile:

Depends on which market you are on - and it will hardly happen in Canada or Norway......:givebeer:

Oh I know, just some wishful thinking on my part... Plus its kind of funny that in the USA the Husky is the lower priced alternative to the Stihl... :cheers:

I'm a fan of Stihl from way back, but thats the honest truth. They have been ahead with AV and filtration for awhile now. If you get used to running a Husky and then go back to running a Stihl it will jar you to death. These newest Huskys have just stomped the competition. The 562xp is "the perfect" 60cc saw and I think this 550 could be the same way. I'd like to run one because I do like the ms261 an awful lot.

What gets me is, why is'nt Stihl even trying to compete these days. Do they have some secret tech they're going to release? I hope so, because if not then they are going to be coughing up dust.

I think they have so much momentum behind their name that they dont necessarily feel the pressure to change anything in a hurry. Their sales are great and they report good growth. Their previous set of saws has been on the market for what, 20 years?

It could very well catch up w them but my guess is that it will take a while.

I'm just being a weeny when I say husky is smoking Stihl, they have some great saws of top notch quality for sure. Husky just seems to be making a hard and fast techno leap at the moment, Stihl will be right there with them soon. Hopefully. Husky does have a looooot of saws coming out in the next 6-8 months, should make things real interesting for a while.

These new saws are a bigger leap than the typical new model. It's almost like they skipped a generation.

And yup, 2013 is going to be mighty interesting. :msp_wink:

These new saws are a bigger leap than the typical new model. It's almost like they skipped a generation.
And yup, 2013 is going to be mighty interesting. :msp_wink:

I would say they did, regarding sub 70cc pro saws - but they did make the 575 family and the 4xx series saws.....:msp_wink:

Actually, some of the Husqvarna models that cost more than the Stihl counterpart is because of the AT feature. More tech=more cost.

Also understand that generally they've always been priced similarly in the U.S. market. People think that Husky saws are/were cheaper only because they discount their saws, online sales and such, mostly Stihl dealers keep to msrp. Depends on the market, of course. As well, certain Husky models were always more expensive than the Stihl equivalents like the 455 Rancher(being strato, it was $50 more than ms290), 357XP and 395XP.

Yep, I'm keeping my 346s' and skip the 550xp for now.

But I'm really interested in a 543xp to fit the bill for a new 'small' saw...:D

I'm waiting for the 372 replacement with autotune. You guys can have the toy saws.:D

I like the 70cc and up. I've tried to like the 50 and 60 cc classes. They are just underpowered to me. For a littlw while I was doubting the xpw had enough for me.

Back