576xp being replaced with 572XP . . . Latest generation auto tune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im waiting as well im building a maten 308 ar 10 platform right now just to curb the wait on this new saw coming.:popcorn2: suspense is killer

I'm probably wrong, but I thought the evolution went
272XP -> 371XP -> 372XP / 372XPW (375XP) - NON STRATO
372XP XT -> 575XP XT -> 576XP XT -> 576XP XT AT - STATO SAWS

I thought the 372XP XT came out just after the 372XPW. I don't have any years to match up to this, but it would seem that the 372XP XT was a first gen. strato, the 575xp and 576p were revisions to that design and second gen. strato saws.
Can anyone (SawTroll) tell me
1) differences between first and second generation strato saws
2) why everyone says the 575/576 are "smoother" saws than the 372? Is it a lower mass piston, or something else? They all have three anti-vib springs.

I thought the 372XP XT came out just after the 372XPW. I don't have any years to match up to this, but it would seem that the 372XP XT was a first gen. strato, the 575xp and 576p were revisions to that design and second gen. strato saws.
2) why everyone says the 575/576 are "smoother" saws than the 372? Is it a lower mass piston, or something else? They all have three anti-vib springs.
I have wondered about the 576's being smoother running saws, too. I have run several and to me they certainly feel smoother than my 371 or my brothers 372.

First, the 372xpw mostly was 71cc, and the use of the 75cc top end in the US from 2006-2009 was mostly about EPA, not about more performance. Those cylinders came from the 375K, and the porting was seriously inferior to the 71cc ones.

The correct order of appearance was 272xp, 371xp, 372xp, 575xp, 75cc xpw, 576xp, 576xpAT, 372xpxt.

The 575 and then 576 were meant to replace the 372, but it obviously didn't work, as the saws were heavier and handled less well.

Regarding smoothness I can't really comment, as I never ran a 576 - but to me the 372 was pretty free of vibes, so I can't imagine anything can be much better?

I have wondered about the 576's being smoother running saws, too. I have run several and to me they certainly feel smoother than my 371 or my brothers 372.

I'll try to answer the question, even though it is also my own question. Anyone feel free to chime in.

You've got a rotating mass (piston and crank) attached to the crankcase generating vibration, this is isolated from the tank/handles by springs. From my understanding, there are only two things that could contribute to the 5 series feeling smoother than the 3 series.

1) Less mass in the crankshaft. The crankshaft's counterweight lobes contribute greatly to the vibration. I haven't thrown them on the scales to compare, but it could be possible that the 57# series has a lighter weight crankshaft. Less mass would mean less inertia being thrown around which would mean less vibration transmitted to the crankcase.
2) More mass in the crankcase. According to Bill's Saws shop the 372XP weighs 13.4lbs, while the 575XP weighs 14.9 and the 576XP weighs 14.6lbs. I'm betting a significant portion of that could be mass attached to the crankshaft (case, cylinder, muffler, carb, air filter) and not isolated by the springs. All other things being equal, a heavier crankcase would do a better job soaking up vibrations from two equal-weight piston/crankshafts. This is what my money is on. The extra pound of mass is soaking up the vibration of similar piston/crankshafts.

It's also possible that it has to do with
3) Less mass in the piston. The 372XP, 575XP and 576XP all have 50mm pistons. Only the 372XPW had a 51.4mm piston. The piston is aluminum, and could only account for a few grams difference in total weight if the skirts were different. Therefore unlikely to significantly contribute.
4) Springs. Since both the 37# series and 57# series use three springs, perhaps the spring rates, wire thickness, or spring length changed to better isolate the vibration. However, I'm thinking springs are doing their job and this is unlikely to play a large role.

NOW, the million dollar question I have for all you folks is....

Being that one of the "features" boasted of the 575XP/576XP is how "smooth" they are compared to the 372XP...If you believe my hypothesis that LESS total mass means MORE vibration, and MORE total mass means LESS vibrations... which would you rather have in a 572XP: A lighter saw with more vibration or a heavier saw with less vibration?????

(there, back on topic)

This saw is 18 months minimal from the market. as with the t540xp, 562xp, and 550xp they were on the website and in other markets for over a year before they were released and even then you couldn't just walk in and get one hell most dealer. I just got a 576xpat no need in waiting

The correct order of appearance was 272xp, 371xp, 372xp, 575xp, 75cc xpw, 576xp, 576xpAT, 372xpxt.

Thanks, SawTroll.

I seem to remember that you could still buy 372XP (non strato) in 2008/2009, as well as a 75cc 372XPW (375K), and the 372XP X-Torq appeared in late 2009/2010. If the 575XP appeared in 2007 or so as you remember, that means that in a span of 3 years Husky *replaced* the 372XP with a 575XP, replaced the 575XP with a 576XP, and then replaced the 372XP with a 372XP x-torq. What a clusterf*ck! No wonder they are taking 5+ years to get it right with the next replacement. Lol.

(damn, are we back off topic again?)

First generation Strato saws are the Husky and Stihl ones designed without using the Zenoah patents. Stihl is still introducing first generation saws, but Husky bought Zenoah, and are well into the second generation. The Dolmar PS-6100 is a pretty new design, but still a first generation one in this context.

The 575 and then 576 were meant to replace the 372, but it obviously didn't work, as the saws were heavier and handled less well.

Regarding smoothness I can't really comment, as I never ran a 576 - but to me the 372 was pretty free of vibes, so I can't imagine anything can be much better?

If you got your hands on one you be realizing that yes, it can be better than the 372. The smoothness of the 576 is attributed to its powerband, and the 576AT really allows that smoothness to shine.

Perhaps the WLC users should be using the 372XPXT as they are available and handle much better and of course are lighter than the 576's.

Thanks, SawTroll.

I seem to remember that you could still buy 372XP (non strato) in 2008/2009, as well as a 75cc 372XPW (375K), and the 372XP X-Torq appeared in late 2009/2010. If the 575XP appeared in 2007 or so as you remember, that means that in a span of 3 years Husky *replaced* the 372XP with a 575XP, replaced the 575XP with a 576XP, and then replaced the 372XP with a 372XP x-torq. What a clusterf*ck! No wonder they are taking 5+ years to get it right with the next replacement. Lol.

(damn, are we back off topic again?)

The 575xp appeared as a 2005 model, meaning it really was out late 2004.

If you got your hands on one you be realizing that yes, it can be better than the 372. The smoothness of the 576 is attributed to its powerband, and the 576AT really allows that smoothness to shine.

I thought the "smoothness" was a feature indicating less vibration... the way you phrase this, it sounds like its a feature of rapid acceleration or a wide torque band providing less change in RPM during use. Otherwise I can't reconcile how the power band could contribute to less vibration.

Perhaps the WLC users should be using the 372XPXT as they are available and handle much better and of course are lighter than the 576's.

Husky sponsor only the 576xp, and I'm sure they have lost some "medals" that way. There was a steep decline in their results the first time they used the 576 instead of the 371/372s - allowing MS460 users to dominate. The same thing happened last year, but in 2012 Husky oddly won a quadruple with the 576xp. I guess the "ball" is still round! :lol:

I thought the "smoothness" was a feature indicating less vibration... the way you phrase this, it sounds like its a feature of rapid acceleration or a wide torque band providing less change in RPM during use. Otherwise I can't reconcile how the power band could contribute to less vibration.
Its the wider torque band, nothing to do with the AV.

The crankshaft's counterweight lobes contribute greatly to the vibration.
The purpose of the counterweights is to reduce vibration, but they must be matched to the mass of the piston to do that. Arbitrarily increasing or decreasing the size of the counterweights will not improve vibration.

I remember learning how to cancel vibration, you can calculate the correct spring weight for a given mass and RPM. Learnt this when I was studying mechanical engineering never used it in my field of work though.
Good example of where its done is in big commercial air conditioning compressors, they sit on big springs. Its very important especially for high rise buildings, an unballanced system can tear a building appart ( it has been known to happen). If you have an exact known mass and RPM it works perfectly, chainsaws run in an RPM range though.
Jeff

Back