7900 or 385xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ,nothing gets past the filter,just a small buildup around the carb,very small stuff,as long as the chain is sharp.

TonyM said:
The MS460 weighs in at 4.4kW @ 9500 RPM and 5.4Nm @ 6750. Kind of surprising. It doesn't have as much power as the others, but does have more torque.
I suspect that it indicates that the torque curve drops off more rapidly after having reached its peak than it does for some other saws of newer construction.
Low torque at high rpms may also be the reason many people find the 460 barely (if at all) more powerful than the 372xp/2171......

After owning a 385 in the red version (2186) and now a couple 7900's, I gotta say that the 7900 is my choice for a normal 24" bar in hardwoods. It has the azz to run a larger bar if needed. I have only ran a 28" on mine, but the Dolmar demos I have seen have a 32" on them and they ran great.

The weight and price make the 7900 a steal compared to the 385. The extra power (if any) and 2 lb lighter weight and great AV are just extra bonuses.

Dolmar 7900 air-filters.

Ask your local dealer for a "winter" or snow filter. It is the silk-screen style filter and requires much less cleaning and promotes greater air-flow. If you cannot get these from your local dealer or they have no idea what you are talking about, I will supply the part number later.

I love my 7900, but burying a 32 inch bar is a little more than it really likes. It will do it, but for a 32inch and up bar I really prefer my 066 or 395. Depends on how much cutting that size you will be doing. If a lot, then I agree with those that advise to skip a size and get a 395 or 066 as it makes life a lot easier.

If you are talking only once in a while, then either the 385 or 7900 or 460 or 372 can make the cut with a sharp full skip chain if you take your time.

I know it is a bit of a dead horse, but I am constantly amazed with how many users (even professional) run chains that I don't consider sharp. The difference is more than one saw size.

If leaning toward the better air filtration of the 385, I would wait a bit and consider a 390 once the word is out on their reliability (which I am guessing will be fine).

Having said all that, for more general use the 7900 is a joy to run. Since I got it I almost never even take my 371, which previously had been a mainstay for small stuff.

Just to let you know. I cut down a Maple 40"-44" at last cut with a modded 7900 with 32" bar and Full comp chain (No skipping) semi-chisel on this chain, buried without a problem. Cut up a 28" black oak into 3"-4" cookies this spring with Skip- Full Chisel without problems. I have a 066, but dont have a 32" bar yet and the 7900 is lighter. The only time I can tell the difference of the two in the cut with 18" and 20" b+c, is the 7900 cant handle the more aggressive rakers that the 066 will take on when I am pushing them into the cut..

DOLMARatOs said:
Dolmar 7900 air-filters.

Ask your local dealer for a "winter" or snow filter. It is the silk-screen style filter and requires much less cleaning and promotes greater air-flow. If you cannot get these from your local dealer or they have no idea what you are talking about, I will supply the part number later.

Stihl has these filters also - for use in dry snow ares... but they don't work well for their primary use - a crap filter. Lot's of guys use them on the 200T because they can pour gas though them and they are clean. Every one I get in for service with these filters has fine junk inside the carb, and it's getting into the engine. It is also available for the non-HD 064 and 044... and every one I get of those has piston slap from intake-side skirt wear.

Personally, I wouldn't use them unless you are having trouble in snow. If they were any good, they would be fitted to all saws all year...

Lakeside53 said:
Stihl has these filters also - for use in dry snow ares... but they don't work well for their primary use - a crap filter. Lot's of guys use them on the 200T because they can pour gas though them and they are clean. Every one I get in for service with these filters has fine junk inside the carb, and it's getting into the engine. It is also available for the non-HD 064 and 044... and every one I get of those has piston slap from intake-side skirt wear.

Personally, I wouldn't use them unless you are having trouble in snow. If they were any good, they would be fitted to all saws all year...

awww, poor stihlist... you know, huskies run in 1 meter deep snow all fine with standard filter :hmm3grin2orange:

blis said:
awww, poor stihlist... you know, huskies run in 1 meter deep snow all fine with standard filter :hmm3grin2orange:

Stihl's run in 6 feet deep snow (that's more than one meter) and underwater!:buttkick:

Lakeside53 said:
Stihl's run in 6 feet deep snow (that's more than one meter) and underwater!:buttkick:

.... i doubt that underwater part.... and snow too... heck, i even doubt if stihls will run well in any given condition :jester: :jester:

blis said:
.... i doubt that underwater part.... and snow too... heck, i even doubt if stihls will run well in any given condition :jester: :jester:

You're right, they don't work at all. Total garbage. Nobody except Stihl dealer employees buy them and we're all brainwashed.;)

I haven't run a 385, but after running a new 460 (which I was underwhelmed with) and then trying my new 7900 out for the first time today, I can tell you there is a VERY noticeable difference between the saws. I REALLY liked the 7900. It chewed through some big wood with the bar buried. It just RIPPED! Man, what will it be like when it's run in! :rockn: So yeah, the Dolmar has my vote.

Lakeside53 said:

I've had real good luck with the fine-screen filters. A few of our loggers requested them for use on the 7900 and 5100S saws. So far haven't had an engine die on me or any signs of debris ingestion in the intake or on the cylinder. A few of the 7900 saws have 2 solid years of logging on the screen filters and still going strong.

Then again, with a different application or maybe a different filter ie Stihl, Husky, etc. There could be different results. So I'll keep watching for problems.

I have owned both saws, I need to change my signature because I no longer have my 385. That tells you my opinion on this subject.

Jim

Lakeside53 said:

Lake check out stihl part number 0000-120-1605, it's the HD filter in fine screen.

sedanman said:
Lake check out stihl part number 0000-120-1605, it's the HD filter in fine screen.

Yes, I know about that one but not sure about the number as it vanished from the system and hasn't been available for a long time at SNW. Had a racing guy in few weeks ago looking for one. He ended up making one out of a gutted filter and a nylon stocking.

I missed seeing a "this saw vs. that saw" thread, so I am bringing one back to the top!

All the 7900 needs is a full-wrap handle, and to lose those oversized US double spikes for the smaller, more useful European issue spikes and I would own one.

Last edited:
I missed seeing a "this saw vs. that saw" thread, so I am bringing one back to the top!

All the 7900 needs is a full-wrap handle, and to lose those oversized US double spikes for the smaller, more useful Euorpean issue spikes and I would own one.

Who let the European dawgs out? I wish someone would, the big dawgs on my 7900 are just to big for what I'm doing, and, like, garish...

Well, it has been a few months - anyone have more to add?

Seems as if the 385 and 7900 are a good match in power, each having a few pros and cons.

385: Mods well, better air filtration, available with full wrap handle.
7900: Lighter, cheaper.

I guess it comes down to what you like and what you need in the bush. I would like to see some cut times or head-to-head video of the 7900 and 385, just to see how close they are to each other. Would be some great info to gather at Cuttinscott's GTG at the cutting edge - how about it guys?

Looks like each big brand has their heavy hitting woods saws. Truly, I doubt you could go wrong with any of them - I basically think it all comes down to preference, feel and your dealer support.

Dolmar: 5100, 7900, 9010
Husky/Jred: 357/2156, 372/2171, 385/2186, 395
Stihl: 361, 460, 660

I have said it before, I wish saw makers would go back to the 3, 4, 5, 6 cube saw classes to level the playing field and make the comparison a little easier.

Latest posts

Back