80cc class saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to buy a new saw in the summer,80 cc class.All brands are on the table mainly looking at solo 681,dolmar 7900 or husky 390/385.Planning on running a 20" bar for firewood cutting.Like the weight of the Dolmar but have been interested in what you guys have been saying about the solo also.What do you guys think?
Thanks Russ

7900 is a stout saw for the money. Solo 681 I have heard is a good saw as well, possibly a better saw from the talk on AS.

385xp

The husky 385xp is too much saw for a 20" IMO.... The 7900 or the 681 would be good for you. If you want the power to be able to run a 24" with full authority then the 385 or 390 is what you need.......:greenchainsaw: :clap:

Last edited:
My question is.....

Why,
Not really questioning your judgement. I'm sure you have thought this out carefully before deciding to spend several hundred dollars. And if anyone understands the "Because I want it...thats why" thing it's me. But unless you are cutting in the petrified forest why would you need 80cc to pull a 20" chain?
Mike

I thought the 7900 was king of this class in stock form? paper numbers show the 385 at more wieght less power than the 7900?
Okay I am biased I admit that love my 7900. Took it to my Jred dealer and we compared the diff between a 2186 and the 7900 even they thought it was a nicer saw except for the bent handle I agree on that just like them strait personal thing.
Side note. The 046 seems nice kinda like a 044 just pumped up a tiny bit but no experience with that one.
P.S I run a 20'' bar most of the time on my 7900 and a 28 for the rare chance I get to cut a big river bed Poplar

Last edited:
Why,
Not really questioning your judgement. I'm sure you have thought this out carefully before deciding to spend several hundred dollars. And if anyone understands the "Because I want it...thats why" thing it's me. But unless you are cutting in the petrified forest why would you need 80cc to pull a 20" chain?
Mike

Russ is obviously more afflicted than you are Mike. He needs to feed the Monkey. Those two 056's are more than enough for a 20" bar. But not enough for the Monkey. You get on with your bad self Russ. Feed that Monkey..... http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/monkey.gif

CAD ROCKS......

Brock

Why,
Mike
Speed just for the H*** of it. When I had my 056 it sported a 20'' bar and 9 pin rim Oh ya that cut wood real fast hehe.Hell if I was certain I would not have too go to far walking that is, to cut my fire wood I might start playing with the idea of a bike saw I have a old 125 Yamaha that would make a cool donor:)I could get by fine with a a 50-60cc saw but?

Looking to buy a new saw in the summer,80 cc class.All brands are on the table mainly looking at solo 681,dolmar 7900 or husky 390/385.Planning on running a 20" bar for firewood cutting.Like the weight of the Dolmar but have been interested in what you guys have been saying about the solo also.What do you guys think?
Thanks Russ
How about a Stihl MS460? 77 cc's. That would be my choice, but then again I don't know too much about saws.

How about a Stihl MS460? 77 cc's. That would be my choice, but then again I don't know too much about saws.
Not a Stihl head here and my local dealer really sucks! but that 046/460 is of interest to me I was looking at a few before I bought the 7900. I don't think there is anything wrong with them 046/460s I just wonder if they are as smooth as a 7900. Stihls anti vibe leaves allot to be desired compared to others out there. Except the 361 and fat 441 but they are just really good copy's and some improvement ( cant believe I sad that) of the Jred Husky line of pro saw's.

Last edited:

I know you do, but there have been lots of complaits about the 460s bad anti-vibe, and the numbers support the complaints.

Some care, and others don't....

Not a Stihl head here and my local dealer really sucks! but that 046/460 is of interest to me I was looking at a few before I bought the 7900. I don't think there is anything wrong with them 046/460s I just wonder if they are as smooth as a 7900. Stihls anti vibe leaves allot to be desired compared to others out there. Except the 361 and fat 441 but they are just really good copy's and some improvement ( cant believe I sad that) of the Jred Husky line of pro saw's.
Why do you need a saw in Calgary? A good set of pruning shears will drop most trees there. Ever been down to Melrose on 16th?:cheers: :cheers:

If you want a saw that will last you should get either a 390 or 385 husky they are a lot better quality than the other ones you mentined. I persanaly like the 390 or 385 with the 20'' . Also you can find husky parts alll over if you ever need them.

Stihls anti vibe leaves allot to be desired compared to others out there. Except the 361 and fat 441 but they are just really good copy's and some improvement ( cant believe I sad that) of the Jred Husky line of pro saw's.

Ding Ding Ding and in this corner we have weighing in at........ LMAO........ :popcorn: :popcorn: Get out the corn bread, beans and ham hock ma this is going to be good.....

Ding Ding Ding and in this corner we have weighing in at........ LMAO........ :popcorn: :popcorn: Get out the corn bread, beans and ham hock ma this is going to be good.....
Why do you think I said that? The truth hurts doesn't it!
The only two new saw's in the entire line up!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back