880/084 differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is some good reading, are there any other good threads on mods specific to the 088/880?

Running a 48" bar, .404 chain.

WHat about switching over to 3/8 .050 or 3/8 .063 chain?

Sprocket switch to a 8, 9 or 10 pin.

Saw use would be bucking, ripping large pieces smaller, and the occasional large dbh tree.

Looking for simple changes, that could be reversible.

THanks.

im going to be selling my 084 just bought me a new ms660. if anyone's interested in a o84 let me know..

im going to be selling my 084 just bought me a new ms660. if anyone's interested in a o84 let me know..

Get ready Buddy, your PM. box is about to look like a WWE steelcage match.
If I didn't already have one I would make a try. I have too many projects already and just got an 076 so i say, "good luck gents".

Are there any ways to improve on the performance of the 880?

or maybe a new thread would be in order?

Great thread. I was just wondering, the exit port of one of my 880's is only 14mm, seems very small for the size of the saw and heat build up on the exhaust side of the piston, is it a good idea to dremel it a bit to let it flow better?

You can (and very easy as the entire outlet just unscrews), but you still can't exceed the max WOT (for a work saw), and if you have a limiting coil, it will be even more of a PITA to tune.

I doubt will make the saw run much cooler though unless you are just dumping even more raw gas though. Leaning it out will make it even hotter.

Last edited:
non limiting coil for an 880

You can (and very easy as the entire outlet just unscrews), but you still can't exceed the max WOT (for a work saw), and if you have a limiting coil, it will be even more of a PITA to tune.

I doubt will make the saw run much cooler though unless you are just dumping even more raw gas though. Leaning it out will make it even hotter.
Can you still get 088 coils from Stihl?

Latest posts

Back