880/084 differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, the 084 manual says turn the H screw two turns left and then right until the rpm increases to 10500 rpm at full throttle, then turn the screw another 1/2 rev. I have a new piston though, so I will follow Lake's advice and turn it only some 1/8 turn right after 10500 rmp. I'll adjust it this weekend.

The manual says to do this adjustment with the chain and bar mounted which I find a little unclear because the bar length should also play a role.

Look at your coil ..Does it have 2 pickups or 3..????

attachment.php

04, mine is letter B with 3 pick ups.
Lake, I will go copy and past the rpm info i used.

Lake I cant get a readable copy so here it is typed out.

084 engine speed at max power 9,300K and max permissible engine speed with Rollomatic bar and chain 12,500K idle 2,000K.

088 engine speed at max power 8,500K and max permissible engine speed with Rollomatic bar and chain 12,000K idle 2,500K.

Thanks 04 for info.
Didnt need a wrap and just in my way.;) and couldnt find a regular handle.:help:

Yep, the 084 manual says turn the H screw two turns left and then right until the rpm increases to 10500 rpm at full throttle, then turn the screw another 1/2 rev. I have a new piston though, so I will follow Lake's advice and turn it only some 1/8 turn right after 10500 rmp. I'll adjust it this weekend.

The manual says to do this adjustment with the chain and bar mounted which I find a little unclear because the bar length should also play a role.

I followed these directions for tuning my 084 and it turned out pretty well. Don't recall which coil it has. Initially I forgot to lean the saw out 1/2 turn after reaching 10,500 rpms and it didn't run worth a damn. This is pretty much like tuning the 066 redlight, except instead of the tach you go by the LED.

Chris B.

Whether the 084 or 088 has different published WOT values has little to do with performance - it's just a crude way to get the mixture "about right". Most have limiting coils... and a tach alone won't do it. Best way, if you care about perfection (I don't - just want to be mixture safe) is set it as suggested, then make minor variation with timed cuts.

There's some info in the following thread that I dug up on 08x coils etc.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=28514

Enclosed is a tech note from Stihl showing the WOT setting of the 088/88 is now 11,500. It's being set at 11,500 just to make sure you don't bounce off the limiter.

On the 084 with a limiter, the process is something like (I don't have the manual in front of me): set the H screw 2 turns left, then turn right until the rev goes up to 10500, then another 1/2 turn. This way they are making sure the limiter doesn't mess with the tach. When done you won't end up with 10,500... it will be more like 11,500 -12k, but you can't measure it.
You MUST be really careful that the saw is in good shape for this method and your air cleaner is clean - never turn it so it's less than 7/8 out..

Why the different approach between the 088 and the 084? the 088/880 has a more precise limiter that gets in the way less.

Last edited:
Andy, what is the story behind this?

Chris B.

The expansion differential between the mag case and the steel bearing eventually leaves you with a spun bearing in some circumstances (very hot running and large stresses on the clutch side crank). I'm guessing they thought they could get away with it, but in 2002 (from serial number 154603852) they changed to to a cast-in steel insert. A REAL PITA to get the bearing in though, but it isn't going to get loose!

I think I said 1/8 to 1/4, mainly because you were milling..., but play it as safe as you want!! ;)

Use a medium bar - as I said in the prior post, it's just a crude way to get a reasonable mixture...

And thanks for clarifying the process - I just saw you posted it before it did!

Lake,
do you got a pdf file on the 084, like the one you just posted on the 088. Good reading and Thanks for bringing up the old threads too.
I never would of thought of ever owning a saw this big a year ago. But the bug has bitten hard. Thanks for understanding the saw alittle better with the postings all.

sorry - no 084 PDF - too old...

Also.... there is still some question as the limiting in the 088 coils... one hand says yes, the other no... none of it really matters... most of the time. It all depends on the date of manufacture... the later 088 use the same limiting coils as the 880... a good thing... unless you just want to race.

Last edited:
What years was the saws made?

084 from ? to ?

088 from ? to ?

880 from ? to ?

OK you big saw guys with the know.
When i got my 084, I had run 3 of them that day. Mine was the only one with the air filter cover like what looks to be the same as 04ultra's too.
The other 2 084's had a bigger one piece design and where I really got confused was looking at a 880 today with the big one piece filter cover like the other 2 084's.
So my question is, what is with the different air filter covers on the 084 088 880's? Which saws came with what?

The older 084 had the "flat" style filter. The later 084 (post 1990 or so) were 'HD". All 088/880 are HD.
You can convert your older 084 to HD by just replacing the relevant parts. It will breathe better..Like 064, many 084 have been converted, so style of filter is not a good basis for age.

If you are into all the details you ask about, you need to get an IPL - all this stuff is listed.

Last edited:
Got a 33 page IPL of the 084. I was just wondering why I seen a a 880 with a the old style cover, but looked like saw was brand new. Thanks for the info. I will go find the pic to show you..

Andy here is what I was looking at on the 880 with the big filter cover. It looks like what was on the other 084's.
So does this 880 have the HD filter set up on the one in the pics? I have the HD filter set up on my 066 and 084, it is one of the best filter systems out there IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back