880/084 differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this mean that the 084 is running dangerously fast at its max rpm?(reliability issues?) I am not racing. It just surprised me that the older 084 would have a higher max.

The max rpm is only reached if you are running the saw outside of wood, or, in wood way too small for the saw. The real question is not about the saw running dangerously, but the operator running it "dangerously"... the 088 was limited lower... based on experience learned from the 084. I believe the 3120 is limited even lower than the 088. The limiter has no effect when cutting...

well....... what are you waitin' for? :blob2:

attachment.php

Rod has welded to the crank...

Lake, What oil brand and type were they using and what mix ratio? Looks like alittle more then rpm's played a factor in that locked up rod.

Thanks Lake for the info. Man Lake you'er like an encyclopedia bri-stihl-ica. You never fail to answer what are sometimes some pretty tough questions, and not always stihl related. I sho is glad yo heah.

P.S.About how much difference will muffler modding make on a saw this size?

Here's what happened to mine a while back. Used cheap oil in a pinch, learned my lesson.:bang:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Everything had been fixed and it's running strong.

I also learned that the 084 really should be tuned with a tach, not by ear. The 10,500 rpm max engine speed is much slower than what I initially thought it was. Maybe some of you pros can do it by ear but this rookie is going to use his tach from now on.

Last edited:
Lake, What oil brand and type were they using and what mix ratio? Looks like a little more then rpm's played a factor in that locked up rod.

It was a local pro tree service - they use Stihl oil at 45/50:1 and premium gas in all their saws. This one had been tweaked a little on the H jet (not too bad, but they didn't understand how to tune the saw because of the limiter), but the young fool running it while cutting huge stump didn't understand the difference between long bar binding and wood cutting, and the saw was run at max rpm for way too long... lack of lube fried the crank. This piston was not melted - just damaged from a small part or the rod bearing that came free...

Good news - I bought it from them - new crank, bearings, piston, etc etc, and it's running "like new".

Thanks Lake for the info. Man Lake you'er like an encyclopedia bri-stihl-ica. You never fail to answer what are sometimes some pretty tough questions, and not always stihl related. I sho is glad yo heah.

P.S.About how much difference will muffler modding make on a saw this size?

I'm not sure... some, but...

I also learned that the 084 really should be tuned with a tach, not by ear. The 10,500 rpm max engine speed is much slower than what I initially thought it was. Maybe some of you pros can do it by ear but this rookie is going to use his tach from now on.

Where did you read max rpm 10,500k?
Everything I read was 12,500K max rpm out of wood and in wood operating rpm's 10,500K. Just trying to learn a new saw, so be easy.;)

Will have to get back on that one. After I take a looks see.
So how many different mufflers did they use on the 084? Mine was junk back half with stupid tubes inside and there seems to be different ones out there.
Thanks, learned something again.

Where did you read max rpm 10,500k?
Everything I read was 12,500K max rpm out of wood and in wood operating rpm's 10,500K. Just trying to learn a new saw, so be easy.;)

My service manual has 10,500 rpm for max permissible engine speed with bar and chain attached.

My service manual has 10,500 rpm for max permissible engine speed with bar and chain attached.

Stihl's been all over the map with this - it really depends on the tuning process for the type of coil installed (limiting, and at what point). If you are following your manual and you a have the matching coil, you are doing it right.

Stihl's been all over the map with this - it really depends on the tuning process for the type of coil installed (limiting, and at what point). If you are following your manual and you a have the matching coil, you are doing it right.

Thanks. I replaced the ignition lead not long ago and I'm pretty sure they match. I'll double check to be safe.

Latest posts

Back