A few pics and review of MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It' all good, I just don't get the plastic handle thing, seems cheaper quality to me than an aluminum one. Nice saw either way. Sounds like it will be a worthy successor to the 361's throne. :)

Scott

Yeah, way out of line. Much more inflamatory than anything THALL has said in this thread or many others. :censored: By the way, I told the guy nice saw and repped him. Take a deep breath Stihlheads, just joking around a little. Think I'll go run my junk 346XP for a while. Rims still in great shape...

Scott

Great idea, go run that 346 Speedy, try ya hand at the clutch while your at it and come back with a progress report,hehehe

no disrespect Woodshed, just having alittle fun on your part. My father and alot of friends (mostly older) can't understand plastic either. I'm sure plastics have come along way,Stihl had a good reason other than a couple bucks,and they might be almost as strong without being bent.

no disrespect Woodshed, just having alittle fun on your part. My father and alot of friends (mostly older) can't understand plastic either. I'm sure plastics have come along way,Stihl had a good reason other than a couple bucks,and they might be almost as strong without being bent.

New age plastic is the way of the future. You know?...

Last edited:
I've had my 362 for a few months now I think it's a great little saw. I'm not a big fan of the plastic handle myself, but I never heard of one braking during normal use, and I'd bet they're actually stronger than the metal handles.

I also had a 361, and I felt it had plenty of power especially, after I modded the muffler. The 361 I had was an earlier production 2004 model, and the older 361's 2004 to 06 seemed to run better than the ones made in the last few years.:cheers:

The 361 I had was an earlier production 2004 model, and the older 361's 2004 to 06 seemed to run better than the ones made in the last few years.:cheers:

Where do you get that from? I got mine in April of '07, wonder if I missed the boat. :monkey: Seems like a good runner to me at least, the comment in the original post about 361's having less torque than a 260 seemed misguided to me. I've run each plenty and can't lean on the 260 nearly as hard as my 361.

I've seen it in timed cuts. In my hands they felt slower as well, but that is subjective. I was also told my an engine builder that Stihl changed the port timing numbers several times over the years + the cylinder quality also went down.

Not being a Stihl fan, my opinion means nada, but I can imagine a few Stihl dealers gnashing their teeth. The 361 might have cured cancer, but its looking like the 362 prevents it for some...pretty glowing report. Now some customers will turn their noses up at the 361 waiting for the new one.

Plastic Handle? We've seen that before, including on low-end saws. But I've never seen a broken one from reasonable use. Letting the saw fall off a truck onto the highway at speed doesn't qualify.

How many of us have a fiberglass handle on a hammer? They've been around for years and years. How about one of them Orange or yellow handles on a maul? Dont they hold up forever? I have a few old saws, like most of us do: would you rather have a nice, light, easy-to-grip fiber-reinforced plastic handle, or maybe one of those skinny steel ones on most of the old McC's?

Country1 nice saw and good luck with it . I also just bought one and am eager to cut some wood with it . It has a 20 inch bar and a 3/8 rsc chain on it . I had a 290 that was new and seen your 361 for sale but you must of sold it before i sent the question to you . I am looking foward to more of your posts on the 362 .

the comment in the original post about 361's having less torque than a 260 seemed misguided to me. I've run each plenty and can't lean on the 260 nearly as hard as my 361.
I wasn't trying to say that the 026 had more torque than the 361. Just that the balance of chain speed vs. torque was a lot different. The 361 will cut great if you're light handed with it, but lean too hard or get it in a bind and she'd stop cutt'n. The 026 on the other hand had a better balance of torque and chain speed. With both being less than the 361 of course. Maybe it was just that I was more used too and comfortable with the characteristics of the 026. The 362 has good torque along with fast chain speed. A better balance and that makes it feel more powerful overall to me. If all that makes sense...

Well said eyolf. That's what i was think'n.

Thanks sgrizz. Congrats on your new saw. Hope you like it as much as I like mine. Sorry if I missed a message from you on the 361. Thought I answered everyone who inquired about it.

grats on the new saw after all the torment you gave yourself:laugh:
Doesn't it just figure that there are all you Stihlheads bangin' your heads against the wall looking for a 362 and I walk by one everytime I'm in the sawshop:greenchainsaw:

grats on the new saw after all the torment you gave yourself:laugh:
Doesn't it just figure that there are all you Stihlheads bangin' your heads against the wall looking for a 362 and I walk by one everytime I'm in the sawshop:greenchainsaw:

LOL, meanie. Its ok though, he has a source now. All he has to do is pick up the phone now and say what he wants. If I can't get it then it can't be gotten,:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Hey Thall, seeings how the plastic handle has been brought up again, could you please tell a story about a strong metal handle from an 038?:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back