amsoil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawfix

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey. anybody out there use amsoil in there saws? im wondrin what you think.not opinions from guys that never tried it but folks that have:givebeer: :givebeer:

About 10 years ago, ran it in an air cooled sled. Fried it. Haven't touched the stuff since. The newer formulations may have improved.

If you do a search on this, there is a plethora of posts and threads on this topic.

Never used it in my saws.

Use it 40:1 in my air cooled dirt bike. Works fine.

Like PA said... lots of reading on the stuff...

Some here like it... but most believe it is another form of snake oil.

I used it in my bike because my Bro-in-law uses it and has had decent luck with it. I wouldn't do the 100:1 like they claim is okay...

Gary

I run Saber in my saw's, mower,and blower at 50:1 mix.I have tried it at 100:1 with no ill effects but prefer 50:1 just to ease my conscience. I run Amsoil 15w40 in my motorcycle and love the stuff.

I've been using their 50:1 racing oil in my saws with absloutely no problems. I started using it in my dirt bike (KX250) about two years ago. I had used Silkolene for years but it got so expensive I decided to try amsoil and I love it! I've got a riding buddy thats been using the 100:1 Amsoil in his KDX200 (mixed at 80:1) for quite a while - he recently rebuilt the top end on it and everything looked great when he tore it down. I think it's good stuff....just my .02.... Matt

I sure wouldn't use it at 100:1. I've seen inside saws of a guy that swears by it, and they aren't going to make it to 2000 hours.. or half that. Is it all in the oil? don't know, but...

Last edited:
I just purchased 2 quarts to try. But I am going to mix it at 50:1 as the saw manufacturer suggests. Their claim with the 100:1 mix is that you must use fresh gas. Do not let it sit for months and use it. Use what you've mixed ASAP. I'll report on my findings at a later date.

I just purchased 2 quarts to try. But I am going to mix it at 50:1 as the saw manufacturer suggests. Their claim with the 100:1 mix is that you must use fresh gas. Do not let it sit for months and use it. Use what you've mixed ASAP. I'll report on my findings at a later date.

I'm not sure you'll know anything in 2 quarts. Most synthetic oils seems to work just fine, but it's long term usage (1000+ hours) that gives the results you need to evaluate any one brand.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you'll know anything in 2 quarts. Most synthetic oils seems to work just fine, but it's long term usage (1000+ hours) that gives the results you need to evaulte any one brand.
I understand what you're saying Lake. I was referring to how the saw will run at 50:1. If I don't like it, I'm not out much $$$. Might try it at 70:1 in the Stihl BG85 blower though if I don't like it at 50:1 in the saws. If that seizes up, it's cheaper to repair/replace than the saws.

we have thought of using this at the fire department so we only had to have 1 mix our stuff doesnt get many hours on it have had a 460 rescue for 2 years and hasnt had 1/2 tank gas through it our back pack blowers get alot more use

I run Saber in my saw's, mower,and blower at 50:1 mix.I have tried it at 100:1 with no ill effects but prefer 50:1 just to ease my conscience. I run Amsoil 15w40 in my motorcycle and love the stuff.

Just got a bottle of Saber to run at 40/50 :1. Dunno 'bout that 100:1 bit either!

Wish I could get Redline locally.

What does the freshness of the fuel have to do with how well the oil is lubricating? Seems to me to be a separate issue.

not a seperate issue, but a seperation issue. And it is moisture prone, like most synthetics. All synthetics will seperate if you let it sit long enough.

IF I remember right AMSOIL is a type 2 or 3 synthetic and is a mid grade synthetic (I could be wrong on this, Ben Walker will know for sure on it though) mid grade fro synthetic, any how what I have found with saws that I have pulled down that have had a steady diet of AMSOIL is that it has a lot of fouling issues up top and is really dirty.

When this synthetic oil first came on the market it was spelled AmZoil; now it is AmSoil. What happened?:confused:

Latest posts

Back