amsoil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF I remember right AMSOIL is a type 2 or 3 synthetic and is a mid grade synthetic (I could be wrong on this, Ben Walker will know for sure on it though) mid grade fro synthetic, any how what I have found with saws that I have pulled down that have had a steady diet of AMSOIL is that it has a lot of fouling issues up top and is really dirty.

This test seemed to confirm what you say if you are running more oil than 100:1. Don't read too much into the test because it is only one condition though. Just a piece of info.
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/articles/oil_test/index.htm

I've been running the Amsoil full synthetic in my 65 Chevy pickup and have been very happy with it, so I ordered a case of the Saber 100:1 for my saws. I'll try it out tomorrow...gonna mix 80:1 to start and see what happens. I know the stuff for the truck really worked like they said it would: more power, better vacuum (better ring-seal) and absolutely no pressure loss with 6000 miles. So I hope that the 2-cycle stuff is engineered just as well.

I have ran it for a long time in my heavily modded 2 stroke race quads. Absolutely no probs at all, but in my brand new 660, she just gets Stihl pre mix.

Fresh gas Rex,

Amsoil recommends the use of fresh gas. As gas sits it will loose some of it's octane especially in the warmer environments. I have been using it at 50/1 for over 4 years. Not a problem with it. Saws start easier, rev well,and no smoke.What more can a man ask? Ken

This test seemed to confirm what you say if you are running more oil than 100:1. Don't read too much into the test because it is only one condition though. Just a piece of info.
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/articles/oil_test/index.htm

We run it at 70:1 in all of our saws at the Power Co. and never had any problems, I've tore down saws that were run over by equipment or droped from bucket trucks to see how the inside looked and their was a black film on the top of the pistons but never any real problem with carbon build up anywhere...:dizzy:

We run it at 70:1 in all of our saws at the Power Co. and never had any problems, I've tore down saws that were run over by equipment or droped from bucket trucks to see how the inside looked and their was a black film on the top of the pistons but never any real problem with carbon build up anywhere...:dizzy:

How old are those saws? Can you discribe more on the wear on the parts? No rings sticking?
I think the deposits are the main killer, lubrication is fine as long as you have oil. What you observe might be a very good information for other people that keep debating on oil. The test I posted was only WOT for 6 hours, not really a real life condition of a typical engine here. What your observation is the real life condition of a saw. Please give us more detail.
Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back