Another fun day at the shop, shops share your stories..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never ask for discounts/freebies when buying - but I often get it anyway....:cheers::cheers:

Not me ... I would not be a salesman if I didn't ask for a discount, LOLOL.

I like to challenge every salesman in a shop, whatever I buy. And it always works ! It's easy to spent money on goods, but it's better to spent your money wisely, getting the best value for your buck. I always get excellent deals, without being a cheap guy.

I even get a discount or a freebie in a clothing shop where normlly nobody negotiates. My wafe hates it every time when I approach the shop owner and negotiate a discount, LOL.

AS will remember the day when Belgian walks in da shop of a Leesburg facility and make that Elvis impersanator wish he'd chosen another career :laugh::laugh::laugh::greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Not me ... I would not be a salesman if I didn't ask for a discount, LOLOL.

I like to challenge every salesman in a shop, whatever I buy. And it always works ! It's easy to spent money on goods, but it's better to spent your money wisely, getting the best value for your buck. I always get excellent deals, without being a cheap guy.

I even get a discount or a freebie in a clothing shop where normlly nobody negotiates. My wafe hates it every time when I approach the shop owner and negotiate a discount, LOL.

AS will remember the day when Belgian walks in da shop of a Leesburg facility and make that Elvis impersanator wish he'd chosen another career :laugh::laugh::laugh::greenchainsaw:

Raising prices right now. Time you get here I should havem all doubled and I'll make sure you get 25% off,LOL

got one

Not saw related...but as some of you know, I have worked for BestBuy for I guess 10yrs now so I've seen and heard everything but this one sticks in my brain. I had to cover appliances one day and a gentlemen walks in and needs a new fridge! He points to the one in the ad at the time and I say okay and he wants free delivery like the ad says,so I'm like cool no prob! Get it all set up,he pays for it and out the door he goes. 2 days later I get a call from the same gentlemen and he's pissed!!!!
So I ask what the problem was(thought maybe it was damaged) nope.... He tells me it arrived and it was empty:monkey:I was like huh? He told me the ad clearly shows a full fridge (milk,pop,food.etc...) I thought this was a joke at first but he was dead serious. I tried to explain to him that the picture was just to show features and options. He cussed at me for 10 minutes(normally were told to just hang up)I was laughing so hard I just could'nt hang up!!!! The more I laughed the madder he got! Finally he busted out with my favorite FALSE ADVERTISING and he was going to sue us. I said cool, BestBuy pay lawyers millions, how much do you pay? Never heard from him again:cheers: -dave-

A fellow from the local native reserve walked in with a Stihl 041 that he bought at an auction, it would not start. I yanked the muffler, piston and cylinder were toast. He had already spent $150.00, half the price of a new one, so elected to fix it.
I replaced the cylinder and piston, did the carb, and it ran like a champ. He picked it up and left happy. A few days later he returned saying it had no power. To show me, he started it, dropped the chain on a log and squeezed the throttle. Sigh. His whole family were loggers, I figured he had left the womb holding a saw. I showed him how to operate it and he left happy.
A week later, he came in again with the remains. He was driving through the village and saw his buddies trying to drop a 40" Ponderosa pine with a 16" bar. They had cut around the tree but left a bolt in the middle. Gordie, being a nice guy, sez "I can do that" and finished their cut with his 20". The tree came over, everybody split,and said tree took out the saw and his truck. :monkey:
I gently suggested they leave the logging to someone else. He shook his head and laughed.

Here's an interesting story from this side. My friend's brother, who is getting up there in years wanted to replace his old Stihl Cast Iron Mega saw, we're not sure what model, so called his local shop. He wants to run at least a 28 inch bar on a lighter saw and was wondering what the options were. Well, guess his local guy didn't want to explain much and left the potential customer with unanswered questions. My friend gave him the number of one of our local shops, which are so good I don't want deals, I want them to stay in business, and the Stihl guy there is patient and explains things very well so it can be understood...I hope he gets the business.

Both our shops have excellent service. That makes me not want to ####er with the price. The last time I bought the industrial strength weedwhacker, they threw in a few extras. The coffee, popcorn and donuts help too.:)

Did I mention the nice restroom? Their customer base has to travel a while to get there.

Let me know the day you are going to Leesburg and I'll drive you there just to see the interaction:greenchainsaw: And the beer all around will be on me:cheers:...Carl

Tom my story is I found a chainsaw case in front of my shop door. Opened it up and it was an almost brand new Poulan Micro XXV, with new 10" bar and chain. Found a bill of sale in the case that was dated Dec 1979, which means its just over 29 yrs old and looks new. When I started to check it over, the air filter disintegrated to dust in my hands; and, the plastic fuel line shattered in several pieces when I touched it. No note or anything as to who left it at my shop door. Have not found a fuel line replacement yet; but, put in a piece of sponge for an air filter, sprayed some fuel into the carb and that little bugger fired right up and ran a few cycles. I bet its been sitting in someone's garage for low these many years. And someone must have told them that I work on chainsaws; don't know how else it got to my shop door? Tom

I used to buy a lot of bits online thinking it was cheaper and easier. Sometimes it is, but theres a lot to be said for a good dealer.
(snip)
Using a dealer is a mutual repect thing on a personal level.

There is no value that can be put on a good dealer. Before I was infected with CAD, I had borrowed my dad's 032AV to take care of a blowdown for a friend. Good size pine tree, say 24" at the base. 18" bar on dad's saw. I limbed it out, got the trunk on the ground, and started bucking. Going along pretty good, but towards the end of the day I let the saw drop too far and buried the nose in the dirt and rocks under the tree. Gah! Finished the last two cuts, called dad and said, "Dad, I think I owe you a new chain. Where should I get one?" Dad gave me the shop phone number, and I called to get exact directions. (Which involve "turn left at the seasonal road sign...")

Get to the shop, walk in the door with the saw, explain what happened, dad said come here... Owner looks at me and asks, "Who's your dad?" I tell him, he says, "Oh! You must be (ZerCool)!" *blink* I haven't been in this guy's shop since I was about 10, and I'm staring down 30 now. Yep, that's me! He goes on with the how'sthefolks, etc... then asks, "Your mother still have that little Homelite I sold her back at the Woodcutter's show?" (The Woodcutter's show was last held around 1990, and mom got her saw before then.) Holy crap!

Don set me up with a new chain and sent me on my way, but he has earned (another) customer for life. That's the kind of service money can never buy.

(Don's Log'n'Chain, Newfield NY, if you're in the area.)

Looks like I'm going to have to learn to SELL! I've always hated dealing with sales people, and figured that having high quality products and good service should be enough, right??

Must have spent an hour talking to a guy Friday who was looking to buy an MS210. You dealers know just how rich I'm gonna get on this sale! Well he mentions a few shops that he will never buy from, and how service is what he is after, etc. We go over the whole service thing and I explain to him that all service is on site, etc.

Guess he figured that since we talked so long, we were best friends and now he could ask for the discount!! I explained that there was no room in that price and that when I sell the little saws, I just hope the buyer doesn't have a rewards credit card, and that they come back in the future and buy a chain or something....

He says he's more than likely gonna come in Saturday and pick one up..........

The truth is, that I could have made a lot more money in that time I spent with him fixing something, than I could have if he bought the saw, and Saturday came and went and I never saw him!

I should have just said that if you want to buy the saw, no better day than today and all of the prices are going up Saturday!!

Looks like I'm going to have to learn to SELL! I've always hated dealing with sales people, and figured that having high quality products and good service should be enough, right??

Must have spent an hour talking to a guy Friday who was looking to buy an MS210. You dealers know just how rich I'm gonna get on this sale! Well he mentions a few shops that he will never buy from, and how service is what he is after, etc. We go over the whole service thing and I explain to him that all service is on site, etc.

Guess he figured that since we talked so long, we were best friends and now he could ask for the discount!! I explained that there was no room in that price and that when I sell the little saws, I just hope the buyer doesn't have a rewards credit card, and that they come back in the future and buy a chain or something....

The truth is, that I could have made a lot more money in that time I spent with him fixing something, than I could have if he bought the saw, and Saturday came and went and I never saw him!

I should have just said that if you want to buy the saw, no better day than today and all of the prices are going up Saturday!!

Tom my story is I found a chainsaw case in front of my shop door. Opened it up and it was an almost brand new Poulan Micro XXV, with new 10" bar and chain. Found a bill of sale in the case that was dated Dec 1979, which means its just over 29 yrs old and looks new. When I started to check it over, the air filter disintegrated to dust in my hands; and, the plastic fuel line shattered in several pieces when I touched it. No note or anything as to who left it at my shop door. Have not found a fuel line replacement yet; but, put in a piece of sponge for an air filter, sprayed some fuel into the carb and that little bugger fired right up and ran a few cycles. I bet its been sitting in someone's garage for low these many years. And someone must have told them that I work on chainsaws; don't know how else it got to my shop door? Tom

Cool beans. Sounds like someone sorta left a baby on your door step, they wanted you to have that saw. That means your reputation for being a saw buff is getting around, good job,:cheers::cheers:

It happens from time to time. What you ran into was a low life good for nothing, scum dog, yellow belly magget, all yak no set, blowhard, foaming at the mouth bum. I usually smellem right away and send their sorry hides out the door. Yup I get guys like Woodie now and then,:rant::chatter::chatter:

HAH!! What makes you think that fool can even run??

Have you notice the smell of burning rubber around your girlie friends house lately, that wasn't a blur you notice the other day when she called you over, that was me fool,:ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

Latest posts

Back