Anyone else sick of burning wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get yourself ready for old age, get the propane system in then you will have a choice.

if your like me there is probably some guilt involved going back to gas or fuel..but life is to short..

youve worked hard for many years saving countless thousands of dollars.

If Cap and trade goes through or the EPA follows up with thier threats, Oil and Propane are gonna go off the charts in costs.

Even if ya do get sick of burning, stock piling a couple years worth of cord wood is just plain old fashioned common sense.

The fools in D.C. can control the prices and taxes, but would have to go door to door to control how ya heat your home with wood.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

the idiot communists we have in office now--aint above that,ya know---:angry:

If fuel oil went down to .25/gal, I'd still burn wood. Heck, back when it was 20 cents a gal. we were.

when it was that price--is when i bought the riteway--and still using it---id go thru a tank and 1/2 a month heating this house---said thats enough, and i did have a space of about three years i didnt burn--ng was cheap--and aint no more!!!!!!!!!!!

get yourself ready for old age, get the propane system in then you will have a choice.

if your like me there is probably some guilt involved going back to gas or fuel..but life is to short..

youve worked hard for many years saving countless thousands of dollars.

thousands is right---some people dont figure that out tho--i built my own splitter--35 years ago--and still is a monster,only a 46 dia wet cottonwood stopped it---chainsaw cost,stove,and related cost--i figured that all was paid for the first year--and kept nice and warm since,even when the power goes off------------------even know where theres a gas/wood cookstove at--that i want to get my hands on,like woodbooga,and another on this forum. already doing wood--why not the cookstove--yahhhhhhh:laugh::laugh:

I'm 43 now, my family burned wood pretty much since I was born. When I got my own place in 86, I bought a used daka wood furnace, only heat we had, loved it, but I partied a little out of town then, and when I'd get home after a long weekend, the house wood be verrrry cold. Like frozen solid cold, after some busted pipes, and a really dangerous chimney fire, I quit in about 93 didn't burn in the house again till 07, always had a stove in the shop. I really missed the wood, cutting, heat and such. back in the 80's we had to burn wood, it was a necessity, now I burn it because I like it and it's much more fun.

similar deal here, i'm solo and just simply won't leave the house overnight in sub-freezing weather. old tiny farmhouse with wrong (north facing) orientation. but it doesn't stay cold for long here.

my parents both grew up burning coal and wood on farms. i was raised with wood auxiliary over electric. true furnaces aren't the norm this far south...stupid heat pumps are. so i grew up sick of the cold and of all that blowing air of central units.

i supplemented electric with kerosene for years. almost burned my shop down with kerosene last week. (old heater malfunction) will be cleaning soot for months. woodburner nearly installed!

this is my ninth year of heating 100% with wood and absolutely love it*. have a few acres of trees and they produce plenty, and of course i clean up other folks' woodland wastes as well.

*i did learn an important lesson two winters ago. have plenty o wood. i had been getting by cutting dead wood as-i-needed-it. then i was semi-mangled in a car crash that fall and when i staggered to the woods a few weeks later i found out that starting and running a saw--and then picking up the wood was a bit more than i was ready for in my condition. so i traded for some extra wood a neighbor had collected out of a fencerow. that's all the wood i've burned and not cut myself. getting a few cord ahead this year.

mixing the species and moisture content to get the best fire for what one needs at the moment...just can't do that with gas.

when i get my cob home built, it will of passive solar design and have propane for water heating, range/oven, clothes dryer-possibly even a refrigeration unit or two. wood will be the heat.

that way when the power goes out i can take my sweet time getting a generator running. ;)

Last edited:
Hello, I see that not only here in Italy many return to heating with wood, the problem is that many new homes do not have the space for the wood!

I cut, split, and stacked wood with my dad and brother for several years at my folks old place when I was a kid. When I bought my own place I didn't have the room or the desire to heat with wood since it was just a starter home and I didn't want to invest much in it. Well, now I'm married, have 2 boys (7 & 5) and we found a house that we're all happy with just last year. Installed a new CB 5036 this year and I have to say I'm really enjoying all that cutting, splitting, and stacking that I've missed for the last 9 or 10 years.

I'm sure after a while I might get tired of it myself, but I enjoy the whole process right now. My boys are just getting big enough that they're starting to be a little bit of help, and I enjoy that bonding time with them. I can't wait til they're in their teens or so and they become even better help. Who knows, maybe after they're both grown and moved away and leave all the work to me I might hang up the saws myself, but for now I'm loving it!

You just haven't been diagnosed with BED yet. It starts when you load the pick up too heavy way back in the woods and bury it to the axle. Your buddy tells you if you had duals, you could have just stuffed a couple of poles between them and driven out. Then the city or county are taking bids on a one ton dump. Then you haul so much home and Tractor supply has $200 of on the Huskee 35 ton splitter. Then you need a trailer and a bobcat or tractor. And its all being paid for with the money your saving! Then the neighbors want to buy some wood or help! You"ve got cheap heat & extra income! Yep, its Bigger Equipment Disorder.

BED,yeah I got it.Seems the more I save the more I spend. The really great thing is I've lost 30 lbs. since putting in the owb.
Plus a bad day in the woods is still better than a good day at work:greenchainsaw:

not me that the only way i got to stay warm here because i can't use my heat and air unit because someone stole it about 7 years ago and i figure i would just put a wood stove up the chimmy and use it becuase with a fire place all the heat goes up the chimmy anyway but i do cut some fire wood to sell when i kow i have enugh saved up to keep my house warm and now i don't have anyone buyin any now and now i know i have plenty to last a cuple of years but i'm goin to change my warm morrin stove out to a stove to take longer logs tomarrow if it's not raining

probably not a fair answer here as you have many more years than I do heating with wood, but a few years ago when I installed my wood furnace, I completely disconnected the oil furnace and haven't looked back since! If I had to pay for wood it might be a different story but not only do I love saving money, running my saws and splitter and just being out in the woods are some of my absolute favorite things to do! Just relaxes me like nothing else can.

probably not a fair answer here as you have many more years than I do heating with wood, but a few years ago when I installed my wood furnace, I completely disconnected the oil furnace and haven't looked back since! If I had to pay for wood it might be a different story but not only do I love saving money, running my saws and splitter and just being out in the woods are some of my absolute favorite things to do! Just relaxes me like nothing else can.

same here but with out the hydro splitter tho but very soon i will find one and get it but i love being out in the woods and hear all the sounds out there but when my saw starts up all the other sounds stop and nothing could be heard for miles on some days lol but i love goin out with my saw and cutting wood it relaxes me like nothing else would

Right now I'm sick of not needing to burn. Got spoiled during a cold spell where I was stuffin' the old Smokedragon (Timberline) nonstop.

Now the temperature's been a bit more moderate and I either have to let the fire burn out then rekindle later, or get the house hot and in turn the old lady.

Latest posts

Back