Anyone Port a MS 362 C-M???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see tons of stuff on ported MS 261 C-Ms, a good amount on MS 441 C-Ms, and even stuff on the brand new MS 241 C-M, but I have not seen anything on a ported MS 362 C-M. Since I think this saw is in the "Sweet Spot" of possibly the best "All Around" saw in the Stihl lineup, any feedback would be appreciated. When I see feedback about ported 261 C-Ms cutting like 70 cc saws, I just imagine what a 362 C-M would be like.

Don't see much about this one, interested to hear how it comes out. I know the 261 and 441 port well, and on the outside the 362 looks a lot like the 261, but don't know if they are similar on the inside.

I'm no expert, but porting 60 cc saws with At don't seem to work out real good. Could be to soon to know about ported 60 cc cm saws.o_O I for one wouldn't want to be a guinea pig.

I'm no expert, but porting 60 cc saws with At don't seem to work out real good. Could be to soon to know about ported 60 cc cm saws.o_O I for one wouldn't want to be a guinea pig.

I would have to disagree with that. I have run a 562xp by Terry and one by Randy.......both ran circles around my stock 440. I didn't notice any issues myself.

Shea

BTW-That 440 ain't stock any more.

Not mention any names but I've got one also by a very reputable builder on AS and have the dreeded off idle issue. I've been pm by other members of this site that have similar issues. I'm gonna wait until the geniuses on this site that are working tirelessly to remedy the issue, before I attempt to. I still love the saw and I'm not that put out by a little bogging, but I'm just curious how awesome the saw could be with a better carb( Or at least properly functioning carb).

Send it to randy. Then he can do my cylinder too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was going to say, I think the reports on ported 562s have been very impressive and was just wondering if there were similar results with the 362. There must, at least, be some pre M-Tronic ported 362s out there. It is a fairly popular saw and makes good power (as long as you don't compare apples to oranges, like comparing a Auto Tune 562 to a pre M-Tronic 362).

Also, how did that 440 respond to porting? I also have a 10 mm 044.

I'm not knowledgeable in this area, but from what I have gleaned from this website I think the porting wizards are getting bigger percentage gains from from the newer strato saws.

Not mention any names but I've got one also by a very reputable builder on AS and have the dreeded off idle issue. I've been pm by other members of this site that have similar issues. I'm gonna wait until the geniuses on this site that are working tirelessly to remedy the issue, before I attempt to. I still love the saw and I'm not that put out by a little bogging, but I'm just curious how awesome the saw could be with a better carb( Or at least properly functioning carb).

I think some of the wizards on this site figured out that it was a faulty part in some of the carbs. I think that is why Randy started porting them again. There was a Thread about the 562 issue, and about Randy working on them again.

Now I will Joke - It must be a problem specific to people named after trees, since you and Locust Cutter both have the problem!

Seriously, I hope you get the issue resolved, I hear it is a great saw otherwise.

If you read a lot of the posts on AS you will see more issues with modded AT saws than stock. Husky has sold way more to this point than Stihl, and the problem may begin to appear with Stihl cm saws as more are sold and modded. I believe the carb and technology between the two companies are one in the same. Just read some of Randy's posts. JMO

Mustang I have read every post in regards to off idle bogging issues and have been left more confused than ever. Seems like some talented guys on here have some fixes, but not the cure yet.

I have seen issues noted with stock 441 C-Ms, but not with 261 C-Ms, and there are a lot of the 261s (stock and ported) out there. To tell you the truth, I have read so many posts on this site, and have learned a lot, but I can't recall which Thread some of the information was on. If I can find it, I will reference you to it. I know there were pictures of a defective part and a non defective part (both with the same part #), one was silver, one was brass. If anyone can help, please chime in. I have "entered" my busy tax season and have far less time right now. I know that Randy had stopped accepting 562s for porting, but after this "fix" was identified, he agreed to accept them again. Perhaps sending him a PM would be a good idea.

If you read a lot of the posts on AS you will see more issues with modded AT saws than stock. Husky has sold way more to this point than Stihl, and the problem may begin to appear with Stihl cm saws as more are sold and modded. I believe the carb and technology between the two companies are one in the same. Just read some of Randy's posts. JMO

It may just be the "Modded" saw guys are complaining more. If you go to the Husky website, you will see plenty of unresolved complaints regarding stock saws. Also, owners of modded saws are likely more experienced and know what a saw should run like. There will be a certain percentage of people who will not report a problem that does not leave their saw useless because they are not sure it is a problem.

You are correct, AT came first and there are a lot more of them out there. That said, I don't think the AT problems were in the first batch of saws released, or it would have been resolved by now.

MM .... I haven't given up on weighing a CDN 362 c-m, just waiting for local dealer to get one in this week i believe. Want to see if the Cdn website is correct at 12.8 lbs versus US website at 13 lbs. I just might end up with a Stihl yet :)

That 362 C-M is a very nice saw, you will not be disappointed even if you get a "made in USA" one. I think the weight difference is just due to conversion of the #s, but I could be wrong. I did heft a 362 and 562 in the store, side by side, and they felt very close to the same to me. I do, however, notice the difference in weight between my 362 and my 044. For limbing, I much prefer the 362, and now that it is getting broken in it seems to be able to buck right in there with the 044, and mine is a strong running 10 mm saw. Keep us posted on the weight.

Latest posts

Back