ArborWare "tech" pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stretch Air

Hey Stephen I'm on the stretch airs too, best so far, and your right the girls love them, maybe we could market them in the states, but at $230.00 a pair,judging by the last few replies i doubt if americans would pay the price.

Just in case someone picks that last statement up wrongly, I didnt infer americans couldnt afford them, as I already know you guys can.

Stretch Air (?)

And do you have contact info. for these pants/coats?
Is this an English company?
Frans

Originally posted by ms200
Just in case someone picks that last statement up wrongly, I didnt infer americans couldnt afford them, as I already know you guys can.
Hav ya seen the value of the dollar against the euro lately? :D We're not doing as well as we'd like. The biggest issue with buying European safety products is that many new products haven't passed ANSI standards. Not that they wouldn't, but that they haven't.

And for a company to hand them out to crews without the stamp of approval can be hairy if something goes wrong. For a climber to do that on their own, though, is a different story.

None of the companies that do line clearance work around here wear chaps or protective pant when climbing. I would think htat saw pants would be the best choice as chaps would offer many more chances of hanging up on something while in a tree. I had one logger tell me a story of a guy that ended up hanging up side down from the butt of the tree he just fell from his chaps...they said they were laughing so hared that nobody could help him for a while.

JJ,

I've never heard of anyone hanging upside down from their chaps. Did he have two tie in points?

I did however hear about the guy that wasn't wearing chaps in the tree and cut himself with the chainsaw.:eek:

Sooooooo Butch,
Who do you kill if OSHA or Louisana requires it?

Guess it would be time to hang up the old spurs.

Start planning now, it's not as far away as we think.

PPE is definitely a good idea, in whatever endeavor we undertake.  There's something about having its use legislated that makes it less desirable, though.  Next thing is we'll have to pay some sort of fee or tax to pay the salary of whomever it is that will watch over and fine us when we transgress even the littlest bit.  No wonder personal responsibility/accountability is fading from the scene...

Glen

I guess I can look at this argument with they eye of an ex soldier. To wear body armor, or to not wear body armor. Personally, I was a sniper and the thought of me wearing a Kevlar helmet and RBA was ridiculous. I had enough sh!t that I had to carry. On the same token, my squad leader Casey Joyce was killed in Somalia when he took the ceramic plate out of his RBA (Ranger Body Armor) on White Sunday. For those of you who are confused check out the movie Black Hawk Down. On the same token every thing is mission dependant. Had we been on a long range patrol instead of a quick MOUT raid, body armor would not have been worn at all. Personally, I dont wear chaps or protective pants. and I accept the fact that if I slip and cut myself then I have no one else to blame but myself. I wear tall top Baileys climbing boots that come to my knees so at least the lower half of my leg is protected, however 75% of the cuts I make are at waist to chest level. Am I to wear a kevlar neck gator and flack vest? We as arborists fully know the hazzards of our profession. Sh!t is gonna happen. If you cant accept that aspect of our job, then get a job working behind a desk.

Kenn:Monkey:

But let's not confuse the fact that wearing saw-resistant pants on the ground is required. Wearing them in the tree is optional.

Required by who? OSHA, or ANSI? As a sole proprioter, or sub contracter the workmans comp laws do not relate to me. If I had employees, then yes, the would be decked out in full armor, just like the old knights in King Aurthors court.

Kenn

In that respect this thread is highly parallel now to the "climbing for hire" thread.  "Employer"ness carries a whole slew of baggage.

Glen

Thats why I keep it simple stupid. (KISS) I have had employees, its to much of a heart ache

Kenn

Originally posted by OutOnaLimb
Required by who? OSHA, or ANSI? As a sole proprioter, or sub contracter the workmans comp laws do not relate to me. If I had employees, then yes, the would be decked out in full armor, just like the old knights in King Aurthors court.

Kenn
Required by ANSI, hence OSHA.

Checking my copy of the Z133.1-2000.....Look at 4.2.8: Chain saw-resistant leg protection shall be worn while operating a chain saw during ground operations.

Stretch Airs

Hey Frans, Check out www.proclimber.co.uk give you an idea of cost and style........oh and by the way I dont wear the girlie pink ones but i know a girl who does and what an ass!!!!

Latest posts

Back