Assembling the NOS 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the beaut' dirty Saturday. She ran good. Since it's stock and only turning 12K, it's not as "fast" as I'm used to, but it made short work of a 5' trunk that fell about a year ago. She's now all cleaned up and back on the wall. I'm getting tempted to "Snellerize" her:clap:
256122329_Rfm6x-M.jpg

256122306_kruUG-M.jpg

so how do you get to the bar adjuster with the handle in the way? how many of the 084's do you still have? i think i'd "snellerize" one of the other ones first!!

so how do you get to the bar adjuster with the handle in the way?

It's not exactly in a convenient location:mad: I have a special short scrench for tightening the nuts. I use a thinner than normal screwdriver to tighten the chain. A scrench could be used but might scrape the cover up a little.

how many of the 084's do you still have? i think i'd "snellerize" one of the other ones first!!

I still have two. The other will be sold as soon as I get another coil for it. The coil I had in this NOS one turned out to be defective and I raided the other 084 so that I could cut with the NOS one. Why not port this one? It's only a P&C and I have a spare cylinder in LN condition. Not sure which cylinder to port though. It makes sense to me to port the cylinder the piston has been running in.

Have the middle holes been drilled slightly oversize or is that stock?
256122329_Rfm6x-M.jpg

They're drilled all the way through. That's the only thing not stock on this saw. I didn't want to burn the paint on the case and bar cover. So I put a piece of sheet metal where the screen goes and installed this cover. It was a freebie from another ex-member. It's still only tuned to the stock 12K setting. 12K is right where I would set this saw by ear.

I'll bet it's louder than :censored: . Did you use the manual oiler when you got in the big wood? I just got an 088 and I'm hoping it's something I won't miss.

Last edited:
It's not a manual oiler per say. What that button does is cause the automatic oiler to put out more oil. I'm not sure if it just goes to max, or if it puts out more than max with the button pushed. I'll take a look at my 088 service manual. I didn't use it.

They're drilled all the way through. That's the only thing not stock on this saw. I didn't want to burn the paint on the case and bar cover. So I put a piece of sheet metal where the screen goes and installed this cover. It was a freebie from another ex-member. It's still only tuned to the stock 12K setting. 12K is right where I would set this saw by ear.

I think I have seen that muffler before.:greenchainsaw: I seem to remember an 084 got dq'd at the Medina county saw races for having that muffler on it. Oh ya, it was loud!!!:cheers:

I got the beaut' dirty Saturday. She ran good. Since it's stock and only turning 12K, it's not as "fast" as I'm used to, but it made short work of a 5' trunk that fell about a year ago. She's now all cleaned up and back on the wall. I'm getting tempted to "Snellerize" her:clap:
256122329_Rfm6x-M.jpg

256122306_kruUG-M.jpg

That's a nice lookin' 084 you got there snelling. I hope I have enough time/money to put into mine when I get it. I bet she's a runner' eh? My dealer has a 2100xp, and other saws in the back of his shop. I can tell I'm going to be in heaven when he digs them all out!LOL!!!:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

This one could be yours for the right price:clap: It only had about 6 cuts on it.

I don't have that kind of money....LOL!! Or else I would have the 660 I want....I'm almost there though.....couple more weeks. I got CAD BAD!!!!LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! LMAO!!!!:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

That's where real progress stopped for the night. But....I wonder what this things going to look like. Why not throw the bar cover and some plastic on there and cheat a little?

I can't believe you can't get a filter cover to match the rest of the plastic. I've yet to see a filter cover the color of the rest of my plastic. Same issue Freakingstang had with his.
249571245-M.jpg

find one that matches yet?

Here's a detail build thread on my NOS parts built 084. Lots of great input from Lakeside.

I'm struggling with replacing the oil hose on my 084. The dealer said that it needs to go up through the bottom, then it needs to bend and protrude from the opening just a little bit, where you then push the brass cone into the hose.

Would it be easier to start at the top opening, get the hose to bend and exit through the bottom?

Also, this is an early model 084 and where the oil hose bends to go into the oil pump, the old hose had a plastic sleeve that fits on the outside of the hose which prevents the hose from kinking.

I don't see this part in the ipl and am wondering if I should use it again, or use the spring insert, or both?

The photos are very helpful, many thanks!

Back