Axmen starts with Hendrix playing a Dylan song, and it seems to fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice post, slowp! It's the diversity in how things are done, based on the terrain and the size of the trees that makes logging interesting.

Here's some pics of the equipment used to log my place in Louisiana.

First is the John Deer 843 used for harvesting the trees. Heckofa machine, but would not do the job on steep terrain like you guys have in the
PNW.

attachment.php

Here's the business end of the 843. Each tooth is about the size of my foot.

attachment.php

Pic of the processor at one of the landings. Another heckofa machine...

attachment.php

Finally, one of the logs being loaded for their trip to the mill. I don't have one of the postman bringing me my check. :)

attachment.php

You can tell by the time of day these guys start early. The whole crew is composed of 3 guys, and most days they deliver 3 truckloads to the mill. Hard working SOBs, they won my respect when they logged for me for the first time about 15 years ago. They also used their skidder to position the hardwood tops next to one of my roads so I could have easy access to them for firewood.

Ciscoguy, those are good pics of a real nice buncher. He's in Louisiana, if you saw one of those up here it would have big chains on the tires. We leave them on all year, for ice in the winter, mud in the spring, and we are too damn lazy to take them off in the summer. Down in Louisiana he doesn't need them.

Nice pics dude.

Hey everybody, as much as I hate to go this is all for me, I'm going back to work tomorrow with this ####ed up shoulder, won't have time to play with you fun folks anymore in computer land.

Remember, the west is the best but the east is a beast.

If you ever need some logging done in the southern adirondacks of NY just call an Allen. In Allentown, on Allen Creek, and everybody in town is named Allen. We are all loggers. Everybody in the southern Adirondacks knows about the Allens. There are 91 people in Allentown and most of us are named Allen. 200 years of logging from right here on Min Allen Drive. From mules and axes in the 1700's to crosscut saws in the 1800's to modern times.

So long fellas, been a pleasure

Buddy Allen
http://www.townofday.com/businesses.cfm

Call Buddy's tree service

Last edited:
Dumb move

This is probably a dumb move, but I hate seeing so much invective flying about. I have been fortunate enough to see every state in the union over the years, some of them lots of times. One of the things that always surprises me is the amount of "woods" around. First time I was in NY I was amazed at how much timber stood in up state. I expected to see it in the PNW and was not disappointed, and Alaska, well what can you say I don't think that place could ever be logged out, but then that was said about Minnesota and Wisconsin at one time. Point is there is a hell of a lot of timber out there and harvesting varies from place to place depending on terrain, economics, regulations and other factors. Me, I'm no logger, mostly I just cut dead trees for firewood, and take down a tree for folks who mistakenly believe that I know what I'm doing now and then. I remember the visitor center at Voyageurs National Park in Ely, MN. They have a museum of both Voyageurs, and Loggers there. All I know for sure is that even though I'm a fairly big guy and in pretty good shape, I'm not anywhere near as tough as those guys were back then. Those were some hard men, and those were some hard jobs. Of course the average age of death back then is said to have been 49. I suppose it is too much to hope for, but I wish that the discussion could be more informative and civil. Probably a dumb move, but that is my 2cents worth. JR

You want us to post what the forest looks like in our areas? Well here is my web site and it shows many views of my 30 acre disc golf course and what Adirondack woods looks like after being turned into a disc golf course. I know a thing or two about cutting trees around here since I built the course and cleared maybe 5 acres of woods to do it.

www.hyzercreek.com

If you don't play disc golf you need to put down your chainsaws and play.

Morgan Wright

Family Sawmill

Sooooooo... I've been meaning to get some pics of where I grew up working and thought you guys would like to see an OLD sawmill and how it used to be done. It's one of the last you'll ever see. Probably the oldest in the northeast. Set up here in the very early 1900's and still used, somewhat less, now... If you've never seen a really old mill, you'll enjoy this...

http://picasaweb.google.com/ciscoguy01/FamilySawmill

Cheers eh?

:cheers:

Here's my favorites. Not so much for scenery, but for action and I like the flower in the foreground in front of the hooktender. He was having to set chokers because half the crew didn't show.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Love the little orange and white little tree saw and manila single tie will have the PPE police sreaming.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was out another time and his little saw quit on him at a crucial time and things weren't looking too good. He even tried finishing it with the axe.
Got the saw started and got the tree topped, but it started to split a bit. It turned out ok, just scary. The other hooktender, who is in the flower picture, used a tiny Husky for topping cuz he's from Oregon.

Awesome pics! Do you still run that old truck and dozer? Looks like a really neat place.

The old truck is what we still haul ALL the slabs on. The dozer is what we still load ALL the logs with into the mill itself. When not in use, you guys saw how it was up all the way, most all over the place it's used to prop up the ceiling in the old mill. We've gotten so much snow/ice this winter that if there weren't all those thing holding up the building the roof would collapse...

:cheers: eh?

Did everyone watch this last night? I was curious about Jay Browning's domino-falling. For those of you that didn't watch: Jay made a notch and started a back-cut on tree A which was in front of tree B. Jay then went and fell tree B. As tree B falls it lands on tree A knocking it down. This wasn't an accident as he stated that was his intention.

I am no logger, but from what I've read on this site and other sources I have gathered that this practice is very dangerous / illegal because of the non-determinism involved (i.e. you can not be sure that the tree you are knocking down will fall as planned)

Maybe it's just in Washington State? Am I missing something?

Back