backup saw stihl 026, redmax g5300, dolmar p5100 or jonsered 2055

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christiangeli

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, i am looking for a good backup saw.
i already have an husky 262xp.

i want a lighter saw that is all around for brush and lug

i have target 50cc saw and i found 4 saw that is sold locally, stihl 026, redmax g5300 or dolmar p5100, jonsered 2055

witch saw is more reliable, lighter and have the best power to weight ratio ?

my first choice is the 026 because the available parts and the weight ?
do someone have compare these 4 chainsaw ?

I dont know much about the redmax so you will have to wait on someone else to chime in on it but

026 is a good little saw. small, light, and strong saw for limbing. parts availability is great in the AM world and OEM parts.
5100 is allot stronger saw but also a good bit bigger and heavier. OEM parts availability is great from online sources but may be lacking from a local dealer. AM parts are almost nonexistent.

edited to remove 2055. thinking of wrong model.

The Redmax is basically a 353 Husky in Redmax colors. Are these saws used or new that you are looking at? The 026, the 2055, and the 5100 have all been replaced by newer models.

i am looking for a used chainsaw. i know redmax is a husky 353 , but never used ether one, have you use the husky 353 ?

I dont know much about the redmax so you will have to wait on someone else to chime in on it but

026 is a good little saw. small, light, and strong saw for limbing. parts availability is great in the AM world and OEM parts.
5100 is allot stronger saw but also a good bit bigger and heavier. OEM parts availability is great from online sources but may be lacking from a local dealer. AM parts are almost nonexistent.
2055 isnt bad either but is a homeowner class saw which means plastic cased while the other 3 you listed are full mag crankcases

Thank for you input.
Maby i am wrong but after looking for the crankcase part of a jonsered 2055 the crankcase is 1 piece full metal. but it is not a splitcase like the 3 other.

I have the 350 and the 346 the 353 is in between these 2 models. This size husky is light enough to limb with and strong enough to cut wood in the 14-16" diameter range. I have run a 5100 for a few cuts and it would be a little heavier than the 353 and a little stronger. I have not run the other 2 models you listed.

I have a 260 pro (newer version of 026) and a Dolmar 5105 that my crews use in construction and I would give up the 260 pro all day long for another 5105. When both are available my guys will grab the Dolmar first every single time.

2055 isnt bad either but is a homeowner class saw which means plastic cased while the other 3 you listed are full mag crankcases

The 2055 certainly isn't a homeowner saw, but like the 026 it is a rather old design. It is a somewhat larger and stronger saw, and was the strongest 50cc pro saw in its hayday (1990s) - unless you define the 254xp as a 50cc saw.

Among the 4 saws, the Redmax (Husky 353) likely is the most reliable and best handling, the 026 the lightest, and the 5100 the strongest (but heavy, bulky and not well handling for limbing etc).
The one I would be most interested in would be the 2055 - but never mind that. :D

As this is about a backup saw, the sensible choice is the one that is in best condition....

I have a 260 pro (newer version of 026) and a Dolmar 5105 that my crews use in construction and I would give up the 260 pro all day long for another 5105. When both are available my guys will grab the Dolmar first every single time.

A US sold MS260 is a detuned/demoted saw vs. an 026, unless it is a very early one.

I'm not sure I'd consider one single pound as enough of a difference to say the 5100 is heavier than the 026. The new 261 is the same weight or heavier than the 5100.

How old is the 5100? The first generation had sometimes problems with loose bearings. There shouldn't be any problems whatsoever with models after 2007 or 08(not quite sure any more). The bearings were glued in.

Personally I would choose the either the 5300 or 5100 depending on age.

i say backup saw because most of time i do my firewood using my small mculloch ms1635 for limbing and use my 262xp 20" blade for lug.but to clear my hunting trail i carry one chainsaw my poulan 42cc that give up this winter. the poulan was underpowered and unreliable i want something stronger and not too heavier than 11.5lb

My 260 is very early. They still had a couple of 026's still sitting there and wish to this day that I would have bought the 026 instead. That whole new and shiny thing bit me just like it did many other people.
A US sold MS260 is a detuned/demoted saw vs. an 026, unless it is a very early one.

How old is the 5100? The first generation had sometimes problems with loose bearings. There shouldn't be any problems whatsoever with models after 2007 or 08(not quite sure any more). The bearings were glued in.

Personally I would choose the either the 5300 or 5100 depending on age.

There has been several other serious issues with the Dolmar 5000-series, and particularly with the 5100S and the early 5105s.

The 2055 certainly isn't a homeowner saw, but like the 026 it is a rather old design. It is a somewhat larger and stronger saw, and was the strongest 50cc pro saw in its hayday (1990s) - unless you define the 254xp as a 50cc saw.

am i thinking wrong on the 2055....i thought it was built like the 345, 350 husky with a plastic chassis?

am i thinking wrong on the 2055....i thought it was built like the 345, 350 husky with a plastic chassis?

No, it is a pro saw with an all metal case, although horizontally split. It also is an older design (2051 1987) - and mostly a Jonsered design, even though they were made at the Husky factory.

Back