Bar length - huh?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK I had too much time on my hands today, I was daydreaming about cutting firewood while out watching an excavator dig some soil test holes for me today, and I had my 025 with me for the odd tree in the way. I like to cut my firewood by measuring it off with the bar on the saw. The 16" bar on the 025 just didn't look like 16" from 20 feet away. I measured it and it measured 14-1/4" from tip of bar to tip of felling dog, not including the chain. I know it's a 16" bar - so what gives? I also measured the 20" bar on my 390 and it came up at 18-1/2".

Why isn't the advertised bar length the actual bar length? I always thought that if I had a 16" dbh tree to cut, I was gonna get all the way through it with a 16" bar.... :dizzy: I guess not?

The end of the bar that is covered up by the clutch cover, is included in the length. 20" is the gross length, while 18.5" is the net length. its called a bar tax.

Now you know why Yankees

DON'T USE SPIKES/DOGS!

part cheapness and using full length of the bar.......part not getting the saw jammed in and pinned on the spike on a lean back.

Wow.....didn't mean to yell so loud

Never tried the 7 before.....

I get tired of answering spike questions every time I sell a saw out of the area.

if the dogs on your 025 take up two inches of length... your dogs are too big.

Almost without exception

Almost all saws are a bit short of called length with a new chain and standard drive link count.

They vary from almost a full inch short to a usual 1/2 inch discounting anyfelling dog or bumper

Back