bar saw head for a big skid steer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the attachment. It was a buncher head on a skid steer. The head looked bigger than the machine itself.

I can see it now...the tree falls over...taking the skid steer with it.

Tramp,
It's just my opinion, but I think that a 16" head is going to be more than a big skid steer will want on all but maybe the flattest ground.
I've got a Hydro-ax 311c with a 16" bunching shear, and a 16" Ponderosa Pine can cause a feller to soil his britches if he's not carefull, and it weighs about 26,000 lbs. with (I think) an 8 1/2' wide stance. That 299D is going to weigh less than 12,000 lbs. with probably less than a 6' wide stance.
If you've got some really flat ground it might work, but probably aught to keep something around that's big enough to set her back upright. :cheers:

Andy

I can see it now...the tree falls over...taking the skid steer with it.

That's one of the things that will cause you to soil your britches. The head can only turn a tree loose that's moving forward, if it's moving sideways it can't turn it loose. :msp_scared:

Andy

How tall are those pines. ? The trees this machine will need to handle aren't over 65' tall and most of the ground is flat. Run a Fecon head on the C model 299 no. The head weighs around 6,000 lbs.
Most of what it's needed for is less than 12" on the stump and less than 45' tall..

Then you will have 45' of bole, moving very fast at the tip. It has lots of momentum... to slowly tip the machine over on it's side. I think even if one fell it to the front it would still be Toad's Wild Ride.

I have not run one but I have run track hoes. Dig perpendicular to the tracks & it will pull one over if one hooks something.

That tree does not look 45' tall to me. If that is size of boles you want to do I retract all my previous posts.

Glad I read the text below the video. Good of him to slow it down some so we can see the capabilities of the machine.

Yup
IMG_20120829_131735.jpg

Sorry if its sideways. I think photo bucket is mad at me. I need more ram.

Last edited:
I have a 873 bobcat rated at 2400lbs and wieghs in the mid 8000 I think. It has extra weight added to back door and around axels, loggering over tire tracks, main relief pressure cranked right up, and 14" Ronan tree shear. However a 14" tree thats 50-60' is far to heavy to carry . However most of the trees around here are oaks and pine 12' diameter 50' tall at most . Its mostly a balancing act once you get past a 8" tree with my machine. It does saves a ton of time for sure. I perfer the rubber tire machine with over the tire tracks because doing this you tend to run over stumps and anything else in your path and this set up is more forgiving.

The Barko in that video is a rebadged Bobcat 1080, which itself was a forestry version of the giant Bobcat 980 skid steer. I bet that machine could handle an honest 16" tree with a bunching head. Not many others probably could though. Bobcat also made the six wheeled 1213 feller buncher in the 80s along with the 1080. It was actually a smaller machine but had a hydraulically extending third axle that served as sort of a self levelling function on hillsides.

Not sure if Haun is still doing their thing? . . They're considered old school now. Dangle-heads pushed them out of the processing biz.

Speaking of DH processors -- most line clearance around here is handled by a small shovel fitted with a small DH.

What doesn't have to hand felled, is tackled with one. They're extremely efficient as a setup. Not only can you fall and process, but you can deck, pile brush, hoe chuck, process brush, load (not ideal but doable) and change the head to throw your bucket on and punch in road etc.

I'll be around one Monday and I'll take some video. This particular one was up for sale for 90k a while ago, but he decided to keep it as it makes him good money.

Last edited:
A bobact 873 is 73hp weights 7285 (per specs) and the tipping load is a bit over 5000lbs. The 299 is a far bigger machine with a 98 hp weighs 10898 lbs with a tipping load of 8500 (per spec). I wouldnt see much of a problem with using that machine. I biggest problem I had was the pressure relief (mainly tilting the bucket) was to weak to balance the trees. I would put a shear on it for sure those trees dont look like they have much of a canopy to them. Tall skinny trees are a breeze, it the canopy that will knock you off balance. Just be sure you have a front door since it tends to rain down limbs on machine. Most importantly a really skilled operator. I dont let my guys shear anything big. And yes my machine has been rolled over twice. Once on side and another time tree swung around and put me up on back door. All 4 wheels off ground with a 40' kick stand.

How tall are those pines. ? The trees this machine will need to handle aren't over 65' tall and most of the ground is flat. Run a Fecon head on the C model 299 no. The head weighs around 6,000 lbs.
Most of what it's needed for is less than 12" on the stump and less than 45' tall..

Tramp,
The Pines I was cutting weren't but 50' to 60' tall, but they are typical Ponderosa's, heavy on top. I haven't ran a Cat 299D so I'm speaking out of school, but I still can't see it cutting 16" trees and staying on it's tracks. The picture you posted shows some really nice flat ground. If it's all like that you might get away with it.

Andy

Latest posts

Back