before and after ms-290 with pics and vid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is the saw i got the other night. i got it finished this morn. i did a MM and tuned it. Installed a new 3/8 pitch 7 tooth sprocket with a 18" b/c it had the 325 pitch on it. Also replaced the spark plug and cleaned the air filter. Checked the fuel lines and impulse line and they looked like they had already been replaced. The p/c still looked new.The carb was in good condition and didn't need to be taken apart. It adjusted out great. It does need to be retuned after i run a tank through it since it had a 1/2 tank of old fuel in it. I dumped it and run it for about 5 minutes before i tuned it. IN the vid i am running it in hickory. It didn't cleanup as good as i was wanting it to when i took it apart but it does look ok. Least i don't have to worry about scratching it :D:D.I am going to try to find the right recoil/starter assembly for it to make the saw right. For a 54cc saw it runs good. Here is the before and after pics.

002-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

003-1.jpg

002-5.jpg

001-5.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ipzI_VV_Ydk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ipzI_VV_Ydk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Good job. I like tearing those saws apart. Do a few and they are too easy. Yours is a tad rich but that won't hurt a thing. Best way to set it is put it in the cut and listen. Turn the high screw in just a tad and make a cut. When she clears out in the cut leave it be right there and tell the trees beware here's I comes, good job man!!!

i really thought about doing that but figured it would pit it bad and make it look worst. I just made a post on the wanted classifieds to see if anyone might have an extra assmbly and clutch cover too. The only other thing,,which is no big deal,is it has a 1/2" crack on the air cleaner cover which is hard to see

08, try one of those mr. clean magic erasers on it and see what it does. i have had good success on a few stihls, not so much on some.

Sounds awful rich to me.

If the fuel line is not soft, you are asking for trouble. They get hard, and then crack right where they come out of the fuel tank.

Somewhat of a newbie here so probably a dumb question but.....what are you hearing that makes you think it's running rich? The 'gurgle' at times?

Thanks

Nice job on the clean-up o8. It does sound real rich though. Its even 4-strokin when you lean on it.

Somewhat of a newbie here so probably a dumb question but.....what are you hearing that makes you think it's running rich? The 'gurgle' at times?

Thanks

Ya it gurgles and never really cleans out and sounds crisp. Know what i mean?

i gave the clutch cover and started/recoil a bath today. i used 1/2 bleach and 1/2 water with a touch of dawn. They turned out better then what they where. Here is the pics before and after. I went ahead and put a new started rope on too since it was tore down

002-4.jpg

001-4.jpg

005-7.jpg

004-3.jpg

What a difference. If you would have said you bought a new bar cover I would have believed it by just looking at those pics. Looks real good now, I don't see a need to replace them. If you needed more detail you can touch up the black STIHL logo letters on the bar cover.

Last edited:
What a difference. If you would have said you bought a new bar cover I would have believed it by just looking at those pics. Looks real good now, I don't see a need to replace them. If you needed more detail you can touch up the black STIHL logo letters on the bar cover.

:agree2: not going to replace them now. thats what i was thinking about the letters on the cover. Going to get the wife to do it. she is steadier handed then i am

Latest posts

Back