BEST 20" MID LEVEL CHAINSAW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooper12

Cooper12

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi Everyone ,
I am new here and my name is Jason.
I have a question I am looking for a mid range 20" saw and would like to get the best saw I can for 500-maybe 600.00
most the posts on the subject i find are older posts.

I have a Poulan Pro 20 but want a upgrade. It was be used occasionally (most weekends) but I live on 2 3/4 acres out here in the Sierra Nevada Foothills and have had numerous Ponderosa pines brought down do to the Bark Beatle so I want a well built saw that can also be used for extended time especially in the next few years while I get all these trees cut up.

I have access to Echo , Stihl and Husqvarna dealers. I want to stay away from the box stores .

I have been eyeing the Stihl MS311 or MS391 and Husqvarna 545 though it has a smaller motor. Maybe a 555 model
My main question is any of these or other ideas on the best bang for my buck that will last for years .
It will be well maintained. I can not really afford pro models so looking for ideas and do not want cheap.
I have heard mixed things about mid level Stihl and Husqvarna quality but I am sure numerous factors go into peoples reviews.
Thank You Jason

sven556

sven556

ArboristSite Operative
Sounds like a 50-60 cc saw from any major manufacturer would fit the bill. Personally, I have been using, and like, a stihl 028 wb. It's only 47cc and maybe a bit heavy for its power, but it chews through everything I've thrown at it even with a 20" bar. It depends on the speed you are wanting.

hanniedog

hanniedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would look to see what local dealers you have first. Then Think about model of saw. Stihl, Husky or Dolmar all offer good saws in the 50--60cc area. Some dealers also have trade in saws that might fit your needs.

Derrick Sawyer

Derrick Sawyer

ArboristSite Guru
Agree the timberwolf 590 is a good deal for the money, ~60cc for ~$400. I personally had a 455 rancher that wasn't too bad, but if i was to spend 500-600 dollars, i would def go with Husky 550xp with the narrow kerf bar and chain combo (~570 out the door), does everything my bigger saws do up to 20" and should be fine in the softwoods. If i needed a bigger saw like 70cc i'd get a used 371 or 372 or 044

jd548esco72

jd548esco72

ArboristSite Guru
echo timber wolf power for buck or dolmar /makita 6100 for all out power from a 60cc--

a rancher or 290 or any of the plastic clamshell stihls are just so so at best.

just no point in buying any of the disposable ranch/farm saws when the de-tuned 600p er i mean timber wolf is around for $400 new --even better sometimes the 590 / timber wolf can be had for 20% off -- so you way down in the $300s for a NEW saw---

now the dolmar/makita 6100 IS the better more powerful saw-- it also costs about $200 more-- it is still a good deal for what you get for your money-- don't pass one up if a deal comes along--

just not an insane deal like the 590s sometimes are--

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
For the contrarian approach...

Husqvarna 266, 268, 272, or another member of that family. You should be able to buy a runner in great shape for $300 and they are dead simple and reliable machines. Sure, they are two generations old, but they are a better use of your money than dropping 550xp or 555 sorts of cash, in my view, especially if they will always be wearing a 20" bar.

stihlman27

stihlman27

ArboristSite Operative
If you are thinking about a ms 391, I'd try and save another $100-200 and pick up the pro ms362c-m. Honestly you can't beat both saws I have both but if I had to do it again I'd save money and go with a pro saw the power of my 362 is unbelievable. I honestly think it has more power then my 391. But like I said I have both saws and run both a good bit,they will both do what you need them to do.

grack

grack

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi Everyone ,
I am new here and my name is Jason.
I have a question I am looking for a mid range 20" saw and would like to get the best saw I can for 500-maybe 600.00
most the posts on the subject i find are older posts.

I have a Poulan Pro 20 but want a upgrade. It was be used occasionally (most weekends) but I live on 2 3/4 acres out here in the Sierra Nevada Foothills and have had numerous Ponderosa pines brought down do to the Bark Beatle so I want a well built saw that can also be used for extended time especially in the next few years while I get all these trees cut up.

I have access to Echo , Stihl and Husqvarna dealers. I want to stay away from the box stores .

I have been eyeing the Stihl MS311 or MS391 and Husqvarna 545 though it has a smaller motor. Maybe a 555 model
My main question is any of these or other ideas on the best bang for my buck that will last for years .
It will be well maintained. I can not really afford pro models so looking for ideas and do not want cheap.
I have heard mixed things about mid level Stihl and Husqvarna quality but I am sure numerous factors go into peoples reviews.
Thank You Jason
I like these rebadged dolmar 50cc amazon 329.00 free ship heck of a bargain i would have one but I've got several 50cc saws.41Ta58zeunL._SY400_.jpg

Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling

Addicted to ArboristSite
555 husky#1, 6100 Dolmar#2 Echo 590#3. The Echo is mainly included due to price.

These ones would be a good place to start looking. Personally I'd rather own the Dolmar that the other two, but that's just my preference. I'd also consider a used Stihl 036/360/361. A 362 would be nice also, but they're over $700. Also, a used 044/440 would be a good choice and should fit in your budget.

I'd pick any of these saws above over a 311 or 391 Stihl.