Best saw for ground workers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Alive

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I won't stray from Stihl, not because I think they are the absolute best and will make omlettes and leave a mint on my pillow, but because I like all my products to be the same. Makes it easier on me all the way around. I usually have 3 guys on the ground, only 2 of them are allowed to run saws. One is a former logger, so he can have his pick, but for the other I want to get a cheap saw for limbing and very small bucking that won't ruin me if he ruins it.
I was thinking just a 170 but I wanted to get some of your thoughts first. Should I just get abother 290 and let him run the 8 yr old one? (although I've taken great care of it)?

yeah, I figured it would be good enough just for the light work. But you think I should get a professional saw so it will be better built and harder for them to destroy?

nothing less than a 260. anything less is a 40 hour homeowner saw. seen too many fall apart over the years.
give them the 290, buy a good one for yourself.

Last edited:
MS361. Best power to weight ratio in its class and it won't break the bank. If its just for limbing ms260.

nothing less than a 260. anything less is a 40 hour homeowner saw. seen too many fall apart over the years.
give them the 290, buy a good one for yourself.

good call.
So far I've got: 200T, 290, 441, 660.

everyone rants and raves about the 361 so maybe I'll let the groundie use the 290 only and get myself a 361 to see what all the fuss is about.

I don't like the size of the power head on the 361. It seems too big and bulky. I love love love my 260 pro and so does the other guy that works with me. 440, too big, 170, too small, 260 JUST RIGHT. For bucking, get the 18" bar. Less fatigue on the user not having to bend as much.

I like the weight of my 250. My dealer told me that it was the same power as a 260, but lighter, and I use mine in a tree occasionally, so I got a 250.

Other than the dealer replacings the carb the next day under warenty, no problems at all and I've had it for about a year now. I use it for limbing and cutting firewood thats under 10-12". It doesn't cut as fast as my 460, but I like it just the same.

The only saw that I own that I don't like particularly well is my echo top handle 330t. It doesn't have tool-less caps, and the chain oiler runs off the crank so its always pumping oil, even if the chain brake is on... dumb saw....

Coming from a happy owner (and a newbie) of a MS180 I can say that bucking up to 28" logs isn't a problem for it, and I've run several gallons through it and haven't had a single problem yet. Even though, I wouldn't consider it anywhere near a professional saw, and am hoping to pick up a MS310 due to how hard I run this thing, and let my wife use the MS180 :D.

Our most popular saws on the ground is the 361 and 440. According to my ground guys theyd rather use those than the 260 pro. I have a few 260's that hardly ever get picked up. I personally like them in a tree due to their lightness, not their power, when you need a bigger bar

I perfer an 044 x 24" for topping & have an old Homelite " Super-77" x 36" gear-saw for cutting big-wood & stumps. A good 21" Oregon-back-cut hand saw w/scabbard for cuts 6" & under. Only takes about 6-7 pulls for cut.

Still using a "Wild-thing" x 18" for small limbing around the chipper.

Just personal " Old-School " work traits. Too cheap to invest in myself.

"Hard-work never killed anyone ---- Just lack of knowledge "

:sucks:

I don't like the size of the power head on the 361. It seems too big and bulky. I love love love my 260 pro and so does the other guy that works with me. 440, too big, 170, too small, 260 JUST RIGHT. For bucking, get the 18" bar. Less fatigue on the user not having to bend as much.
+1, my 260 well it's really a 026 pro but it has a 20 inch bar on it so I bend over even less when using it.......

My 260 pro is an awesome saw, first Stihl I ever bought use to have Husky, i like Husky a lot but the 260 pro is just so light for the power. Personally I like a 20 on it because dont have to bend over on the same not a 18'' is ligther.

So give and take with the two..

With groundies..an 18'' bad is cheaper to replace and sharpen.

They are solidd saws...ran that 260 for close to 90 days straight all day with a 25'' bar on the side of a hill...3 1/2 years later still working great.

A lot of guys seem to like the 361 for in the tree with cranes and in buckets.

Latest posts

Back