best small saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been told to stay away from top handle saws for any ground work, why? I know kickback can occcur on any saw, and technically you shouldn't saw one-handed anyway, so would I be better off with a rear handled saw? I plan on using the saw for cutting small firewood, 5" and smaller hardwood. I would occasionally like to use the saw climbing, but have zero climbing experience at the moment, and will primarily use it on the ground.
I was impressed with the weight of the rear handled 192 Stihl, but is it wimpy in the cut? I don't need a powerhouse for small limbs, anything larger then 5" in diameter, my 357xp will be used. Should I buy a top or rear handled saw? I will mainly be cutting very small stuff on the ground, and occasionaly top a few trees, and limb some branches in the air. What do you think guys? Thankyou...

The 192 is not a wimpy saw, it will cut what you are wanting to cut with ease. It is not a 200 but it works well in most applications.

This is how I see the top handles echo good 192 better 200 best. I used to run an echo and it got the job done I liked it for small stuff. The Stihls are much better quality though if funds allow 192 is a good saw but 200 is top dog. I used top handles on the ground all the time I didn't have money to waste on needless saws.

The rear handled 192 is very cool... I bought one for my neighbor, and borrow it now and then ;) You can single hand it without any strain, and it's WAY lighter then the MS200 (I have one).

Husky 339xp!!

Also look at the MS200, or the Dolmar 401 if money is tight.

They are rear-handles, and that is what you should get for mainly ground work.

Last edited:
MS200 for sure if the budget allows, if not then the 192 is a very good saw as well.

I just talked to my dealer. He says the rear-handled 192 is not in his price book. He didn't even know they made one. When did it come out. I wonder if they're not available yet here in Ohio? Price on the 192T is $279 both rear and top 200 are $509. Is it really double the saw?

Those new saws are all lght years ahead of what I'm about to say but what do you guys think of a good running mccolluch mini mack (the old ones)?

When I was a kid my dad had one of those which ended up being my toy...it didn't run. Anyway, I bought one of those off ebay the other day just to play with and see if I can get it running. I often think back and know know what I could've done to get that thing running....but it was thrown away back in 1983 or something. Ironicly, after thepost I made regarding the mini mac the dog went crazy and UPS was at the door with the saw. It is getting a spark but the plug is drenched in oil from years of storage I guess from the PO. I'm sure I'll be talking with you once I dig into it and start the parts search.

Something else to think about. Aside from the safety factor , for me running a top handle on the ground much, aggravates my tendinitis in my right elbow something fierce.
It seems for me, the rear handle placement is much more ergonomically friendly for ground work.

I dropped by the dealer after work today. The rear-handled 192 is available immediately from their distributor. List price is $30 more than the 192T, making it $330. He gave me a price of $313. So, will a 192T really aggrivate elbow tendonitis as someone mentioned? If so, the new rear-handled 192 would be the ticket for me.

Those new saws are all lght years ahead of what I'm about to say but what do you guys think of a good running mccolluch mini mack (the old ones)?

Say it like you just stepped in something........... :censored: I hate mine. Ergonomically awful, hard starting, manual oiler. My first saw. It's a wonder I decided I liked to cut wood at all. Didn't even rate a spot in my signature. Decent power for that size saw, though. I keep it in case I need to climb a little or cutting off scrub trees @ the ground. Hasn't ran in a couple years.

Husky 339xp rules!!

..at least it feels much better in my clumsy Arthritis riddled hands than the MS200 (larger handles), and has more ccs and power as well.....:clap: :clap:

+ it obviously really is designed for one-handed limbing, by the look and feel of the rear handle - but of course they will never admit that....:monkey:

Last edited:
Back