best small saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olddirty I never ran a husky tophandle or met anyone that has period. The echo is cheap and a decent saw. I had one they work ok for tree climbing and I ran the piss out of mine. I didn't comment on the 338 because I didn't use one ever. I didn't say the echo was better. I ran the Stihl top handles and so did every other tree removal service in our city about 16 in all and they are better than the echo but my crappy echo paid for itself many times over and when the time came I upgraded. is the husky top handle better? I can't say I never had the chance to try one.

fair enough man. i was offended by your list and got riled up. yes the 200t is the real deal but a 338xp with a little bit of help and a sharp chain will run with a 200t. it wont be neck and neck mind you but you wont let you down with its effort. just my experience with the tophandles.

i wouldnt mind giving the dolmar Thandle a shot at the title though.

and my friend, its "oldirty"

oldirty

This is the only use I have ever found for an Echo
attachment.php

yup. thats about right.

Well the 200's are LOUD and high revving, their mufflers are less restricted than the huskies, bung two extra small holes in the huskies mufflers and you'll get similar noise level as a stock 200, with that slightly opened muffler even the older 335's match the 200's on cutting speed no sweat whilst being a smoother more comfortable saw at the same time. I'd have thought the latest 338's would actually trounce the 200's on a long cut..

009l

Stihl 009L = like a baby barker. Light, nice exhaust sound, "torquey" power to spare for its weight. It's the saw I backpack on mountain trail work.
Why did Stihl stop making it Andy ?

Hey Lake,
Is the 192 / 200 series saws piston port or reed induction? I was just wondering because 192 / 200s are always noted for good their performance while the cheaper 170 / 180s are called wimpy even though on paper the horsepower numbers are real similar.

Hey Lake,
Is the 192 / 200 series saws piston port or reed induction? I was just wondering because 192 / 200s are always noted for good their performance while the cheaper 170 / 180s are called wimpy even though on paper the horsepower numbers are real similar.

piston ported... all of them.

The 357xp is great if you want more weight and less power + an outboard clutch - I don't.....:monkey:

not that I think the husky is a better saw but I thought the 357xp hp is 4.4 and weight is 12.1 lbs while the stihl 361 is 4.4 and 12.3 lbs? You see which one I picked :clap:

Edit: ST just saw in another of your post you referring to the German spec 361 as having more power. What is the spec on a German 361 weight and power? do you know how the power difference is achieved?

Poley4: I think the performance of the 200 (35.2cc) vs 170(30.1cc)/180(31.8cc) is mainly due to engine size. bigger cc= more torque= better performance.

Last edited:
009l

Andy:
So, why did Stihl discontinue the 009L ?
Nice baby saw. Reliable, torquey, easy handling under many conditions.

not that I think the husky is a better saw but I thought the 357xp hp is 4.4 and weight is 12.1 lbs while the stihl 361 is 4.4 and 12.3 lbs? You see which one I picked :clap:
That is the advertised specs, the 357 really weight close to 13lbs, whole the Stihl weights as advertised.

The Stihl hp is bhp, but the difference is slight anyway (4.4bhp usually is 4.5hp)......

Edit: ST just saw in another of your post you referring to the German spec 361 as having more power. What is the spec on a German 361 weight and power? do you know how the power difference is achieved? ...

The German made ones are advertised at 4.6hp - not a big difference that either - I was basically teasing with my post......:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
WOW!! I did not know that..:jawdrop: You really are the keeper of the info.:clap: I though they were about the same. :confused: WRONG :) Thanks for the good info. I knew I made a good choice in buying the 361:cheers:

Back