Building a new tip-up log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did build the tank myself, the square tube is for my spare time carrier, I hate going somewhere with out a spare tire, I also have an umbrella that slides in to give some shade.
I think that you bottom plate looks like it will hold up.

I did build the tank myself, the square tube is for my spare time carrier, I hate going somewhere with out a spare tire, I also have an umbrella that slides in to give some shade.
I think that you bottom plate looks like it will hold up.

Two great ideas! I think I'll add those to my splitter eventually.

Roy

Here's some pics of the read cylinder mount so far.

Roy

Great fabrication work!!
I got a question...it looks like you use thicker steel in the footplate than the upper end plate???
If so, why's that??
footplate_thicker_than_head_end_plate.jpg

Great build. There are times where I wished I had a smaller splitter. I'm wondering how and where your controls will be mounted? Have you made it that far yet with that and I missed it?

I'm wondering about that wedge that is welded on the cylinder. Do you think you have a strong enough weld on it to hold up after splitting some hard woods? It just looks like it's too thin. Not trying to bust your balls but you have alot of time on this and I would hate to see it bust after a half of cord of wood.

homemade gems

Both of the above splitters are looking fine but I prefer the vertical operations to the horizontal one any day of the week. I designed mine to be used either way but find that I can sit down for an hour with mine and not have to pick up heavy blocks. I just roll them onto the plate and split away all day long. Being older and having cronic back problems I find this saves my back from getting too stressed and allows me to split very large blocks of wood without having to lift them onto the splitter. As a one man operation I can go for about 30 minutes with out having to restock the pile. Any easier and I'd have my wife doing it. Sorry no pictures available at this time, 2 1/2 feet of snow cover the splitter at the moment.

Great fabrication work!!
I got a question...it looks like you use thicker steel in the footplate than the upper end plate???
If so, why's that??
footplate_thicker_than_head_end_plate.jpg

The foot or base plate is about 2" thick and is built up from an outer piece of channel into which some very heavy rectangular tubing has been welded.

The plate on the rear of the beam is 3/4" and it will be braced by the rest of the clevis mount for the rear of the cylinder.

Roy

Great build. There are times where I wished I had a smaller splitter. I'm wondering how and where your controls will be mounted? Have you made it that far yet with that and I missed it?

I think I did post some pics of that but here are a couple.

Roy

I'm wondering about that wedge that is welded on the cylinder. Do you think you have a strong enough weld on it to hold up after splitting some hard woods? It just looks like it's too thin. Not trying to bust your balls on this and I would hate to see it bust after a half of cord of wood.

I assume you are talking about the recent pics. Nothing on that end of the cyl. is welded yet. I was just setting the pieces up to take some measurements. The wedge will be connected to the end of the end of the ram with a pretty conventional clevis mount. My stones are intact.

Roy

Both of the above splitters are looking fine but I prefer the vertical operations to the horizontal one any day of the week. I designed mine to be used either way but find that I can sit down for an hour with mine and not have to pick up heavy blocks. I just roll them onto the plate and split away all day long. Being older and having cronic back problems I find this saves my back from getting too stressed and allows me to split very large blocks of wood without having to lift them onto the splitter. As a one man operation I can go for about 30 minutes with out having to restock the pile. Any easier and I'd have my wife doing it. Sorry no pictures available at this time, 2 1/2 feet of snow cover the splitter at the moment.

===

Build yourself a log lift and you'll never go verticle again...from another old man with a bad back...

I hear ya. Nobody is getting younger just smarter. I can't wait to try it in tip-up mode. I'd be working on it right now but I'm heading out to relatives today. You guys out east are really getting slammed with the snow this season. We just got another dusting here by Chicago.

Roy

===

Build yourself a log lift and you'll never go verticle again...from another old man with a bad back...

My first splitter was horizontal and way too low. Even the control valve was too low. I used to get a crick in my back just operating the valve. This new splitter takes my past bad experiences into account. The top of the beam is 34" from the ground when it's in horizontal position. The control handle is about 44" off the ground. When is vertical position the control valve is in a comfortable position too for either standing or sitting. I'll be adding a work shelf on at least one side of the beam for splitting the little stuff. The big one can roll in place.

Roy

The foot or base plate is about 2" thick and is built up from an outer piece of channel into which some very heavy rectangular tubing has been welded.

The plate on the rear of the beam is 3/4" and it will be braced by the rest of the clevis mount for the rear of the cylinder.

Roy
OK....I could see the braces on the new pic's you posted. Should be good enough.
Since the force from cylinder will be the same in both ends, it would make sense using same size steel. But you got around that with those nice braces.

I would really like to see you manufacture a processor for me....LOL...

OK....I could see the braces on the new pic's you posted. Should be good enough.
Since the force from cylinder will be the same in both ends, it would make sense using same size steel. But you got around that with those nice braces.

I would really like to see you manufacture a processor for me....LOL...

I'm not using those braces from the earlier pics. I have another idea. I'll have some pictures up soon.

Roy

i totally agree with you i much prefer to sit behind my splitter especially if i'm doing 4' rings

i totally agree with you i much prefer to sit behind my splitter especially if i'm doing 4' rings

===

As an old man with a bad back there is not way I'm wresling a 4 ft round, even though my lift will easily lift them. I noodle them in 1/2 or 1/4s handle.

With a good lift your wife could easily do most of the splitting...

===

As an old man with a bad back there is not way I'm wresling a 4 ft round, even though my lift will easily lift them. I noodle them in 1/2 or 1/4s handle.

With a good lift your wife could easily do most of the splitting...

if wife does the work then what am I supposed to do ?? Drink beer nad fill the wagon ?? Hmmmm could be worse.

Here's just a thought. I bought a splitter that the cutting wedge had a back cut on the bevel side. Like this / it kept the logs from riding up when dealing with un-square cuts. It worked great in preventing this, it also helped with you would get a tough piece to split. It almost grabs ahold of the wood, sharpening it also allows you to shove in onto the wedge and keeps it from falling off your I-beam. Good luck.

Back