Buying first new saw, need opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motodeficient

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Last year was my first time ever using a saw, I cut up about 7-8 cords of wood using an MS250 that I borrowed from my stepfather. This year I am going to purchase a new saw for myself. I want something with more power than the MS250 but nothing too big. I am looking to spend $350-400 for a new saw. I want an 18" bar. I have been looking at some models like the MS280 and MS 290, as well as the Husky 346XP. Also looked at the Husky rancher (355 I think)?

I will only be cutting about 8 cord again this year, so I am definetly not a hardcore logger or anything.......

So what saw should I get? My dealer next door sells both Stihl and Husky.

A Stihl 270 would be fine but it may be over your budget. That 346 is a screamer but after the muffler tax, it would be $500+.

There is a nice looking 361 in our classifieds, $475, a 60cc for firewood is nice.

i used a ms 270 for 5 years with an 18 b+c, i cut about 10 face cords per year, never had a problem.
you try looking at a 5100s, supposed to real good saws.
good luck.
p.s. if you only want 1 saw, take the advice you get here. buy a saw, and never comeback, 3 months ago i only had 2 saws, this cad thing is addictive and contagious....:monkey:

wouldn't a 270 be cheaper than a 290? Last fall the dealer quoted me like $390 for a new MS290 with 18" bar

I don't know if the 346 XP fits into that price range, it's a masterpiece.
The only thing it has in common with crappy saws like the 290 is that they are both chainsaws. The 346 is only chain saw. The 290 is besides chainsaw also boat anchor, door stopper, vacuum cleaner....

No but seriously, fo firewood with 18" bar, I would go with 60cc.
359 is alot of saw for the money. If you can spend more. MS361 or 357XP.

Good luck with your saw purchase!

Yeah I haven't really priced out the 346XP, but I remember it being $500+ i think. If its worth it in the long run and is a good saw for my requirements I would fork out the extra cash for it.

Might want to give some thought to a Husky 359 great saw that you can put a bigger bar on and still have plenty of saw.Just my 2 cents.

I'm rather surprised that no one has mentioned the MS 260/260 Pro yet. It all comes down to you and how much money you can spend. But good luck with your purchase and when you get it. Take some pictures and post them up on here. :cheers:

Go here and search for a dolmar dealer.
Then start calling them and ask about the 5100. If they don't have one, call another.
It would easily outcut the 250 and you should be able to get one with 18"bar for $400.

the 359 does look pretty good, but its more expensive and heavier than the 346xp. Honestly the MS250 I used didn't do to bad for me last year so I think the 346XP would be more than enough saw for me?

Although the 359 is more powerful and lighter than the Stihl MS290

My father in law has a ported MS260 pro and it does rip through logs really well. I have considered that as well but I know they are pricey.

If I got the 346XP I am assuming I DO NOT want the e-tech version?

Last edited:
the 359 does look pretty good, but its more expensive and heavier than the 346xp. Honestly the MS250 I used didn't do to bad for me last year so I think the 346XP would be more than enough saw for me?

Although the 359 is more powerful and lighter than the Stihl MS290

My father in law has a ported MS260 pro and it does rip through logs really well. I have considered that as well but I know they are pricey.

If I got the 346XP I am assuming I DO NOT want the e-tech version?

You should be able to pick up a 359 for around 450.00 that is what I paid for mine .My 346xp was closer to 525.00. also take the advice on the 5100 Dolmar and the 026 stihl all great saws! and again welcome to the circus.
Yes get the non e-tec I traded my 359 for my 362xp and wish I didn't make that move IMO the 359 was a better saw. But I have not used the 362 enough to really make that decision.

Last edited:
The Husqvarna 346xp or the 359 would be the two at the top of my list. If the 346xp will be enough power for you then I would lean towards it. Man that has got to be the sweetest saw ever. I bought the 359 a couple weeks ago and plan to buy the 346xp soon.

Dolmar 5100

I recently upgraded from a 250 to a 5100. The 5100 smokes the 250. The 250 has now become my "yard saw" and the 5100 accompanies me and the 044 when we go wood cutting. No regrets. If you get the 5100 recommend you search the threads for issues- ethanol, how to make a little richer (especially during break-in, etc). One consideration about a new saw-- dealer support. Stihl dealers are much more available than Dolmar dealers. At least that's true here in the southwest.

I will be sticking with stihl or husky since there is a stihl/husky dealer 1/2 mile from my house.

Back